Post Mortem: 2021 Playoffs - Seahawks v Lambs

auroraave

Re: Post Mortem: 2021 Playoffs - Seahawks v Lambs

Post by auroraave » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:55 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:40 pm
They won’t run single wing, but they are going to run it more. Get used to again watching the second and long dive play followed by a dump off on third down and then Pete high fiving the punt team.

As for the set up with Cable and Bevell, it was stupid. Bevell wasn’t even in the room when the game plan was implemented for the run game, and Cable called the protections in the pass game. The only good part of that offense was the read option, and that was because Lynch was a Beast and Wilson was a threat to keep it. The O Line stunk, but everyone thought they could run block, only because the dual threat in the read option kept defenses off guard. That made Cable believe he could go to Old Country Buffet and fin any big dude to play O Line. It was a shit show, but ai full on expect him to hire a run game guy and keep the in house coach for the passing game. That guy bores me so much I forgot his name.

What you're saying may be true, but people seem to be missing a big part of the equation - the marketing aspect. The NFL is all about marketing - they are selling the general public a product - and they simply cannot market that to fans. Disregard all the x's and o's and the football aspect of it for a moment and consider the financials, because that is the driver of the league... and that is not something they can sell/market to the fans. Not to mention that is not going to get the team on national tv - no one is going to want to watch that. It's beyond the game - this is literally getting into the fiscal responsibility aspect of the league, and no one is tuning in to watch RW hand the ball off. Profits will decline for seattle and the league, and that is the ONLY thing that matters to them. This is the WWE - people need to understand it is literally nothing more than that, and slow, plodding, boring football is just not something I think the league and the owners are going to allow. Seattle will be relegated to the basement. Does no one else see this? You cannot market an NFL team that way unless you have Lamar Jackson, period.

Again, if PC promotes Canales there will be a revolt, IMO. I could be totally wrong, and it may just be me revolting, but that will be a PR disaster for a team that now desperately needs a sizzle hire. They just can't sell anything less to the fans and media, IMO.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:59 pm

You're dismissing the possibility that Pete Carroll is an insane demented fool.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:06 pm

I just don't think Pete cares about any of that. I feel I have seen enough from him to believe that he thinks there is only one way to win.

Once again, the best run teams we had? Beastmode and a QB that was dangerous in the Read Option. We have neither.
2015? The first year Lynch got hurt and wasn't a factor and the team was suffering from the INT in the Super Bowl? The offense was turned over to Wilson...a quick passing game. After a 3 and 4 start that is....but Wilson and Baldwin set records. He not only went away from that the next year, he went away from it in the playoffs. A missed FG from about 20 yards in the first round is the only reason we got to fall behind Carolina 31 to 0 just before the half in the second round! We went back to that offense, got into FG range before the half and even got the ball back in the 4th quarter only down one score! How? By playing a brand of ball he doesn't like. So? We stopped doing it...again.

This year? He bitches about a lack of run game after a week 1 victory where we lead 38 to 17 and won by 13. After a 5 and 0 start he decided he wasn't comfortable with that brand of ball, so we changed, finished 7 and 5, but at least that fucker was comfortable. This offense looked the same under Bates as it did under Bevell and pretty much the same under Schotty. They all got fired because doing it Pete's way wasn't working anymore. How convenient for Pete. Play my style of football, but when it doesn't work I am going to kick your ass to the curb.

Beastmode isn't coming back, Wilson aint a threat in the Read Option, and the LOB and one of the best defenses of all time are not coming back. He don't care, gonna play that way anyway. He wasted most of the best years of Russ Wilson, and I think the end of last year is what you see when a QB has been beaten down. He was so concerned about turnovers he was looking to fall down before the rush got to him and refused to throw anything that wasn't wide ass open. You can't play QB that way. He doesn't need to be Brett Favre, but what he has turned into is Chad Pennington!

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:09 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:59 pm
A much easier way of saying what I did! LOL

The reason he will promote a yes game run coordinator and keep Canola Oil, or what ever his damn name is, for the passing game? Is maybe because he is an insane demented fool, but I think it is more because his ego makes him think he can fix everything...people just need to do what the fuck he tells them. We saw that...it lead to a 7 and 5 finish and an asswhooping by a shitty Rams team in the playoffs.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:09 pm

auroraave wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:55 pm
Michael K. wrote:
They won’t run single wing, but they are going to run it more. Get used to again watching the second and long dive play followed by a dump off on third down and then Pete high fiving the punt team.

As for the set up with Cable and Bevell, it was stupid. Bevell wasn’t even in the room when the game plan was implemented for the run game, and Cable called the protections in the pass game. The only good part of that offense was the read option, and that was because Lynch was a Beast and Wilson was a threat to keep it. The O Line stunk, but everyone thought they could run block, only because the dual threat in the read option kept defenses off guard. That made Cable believe he could go to Old Country Buffet and fin any big dude to play O Line. It was a shit show, but ai full on expect him to hire a run game guy and keep the in house coach for the passing game. That guy bores me so much I forgot his name.

What you're saying may be true, but people seem to be missing a big part of the equation - the marketing aspect. The NFL is all about marketing - they are selling the general public a product - and they simply cannot market that to fans. Disregard all the x's and o's and the football aspect of it for a moment and consider the financials, because that is the driver of the league... and that is not something they can sell/market to the fans. Not to mention that is not going to get the team on national tv - no one is going to want to watch that. It's beyond the game - this is literally getting into the fiscal responsibility aspect of the league, and no one is tuning in to watch RW hand the ball off. Profits will decline for seattle and the league, and that is the ONLY thing that matters to them. This is the WWE - people need to understand it is literally nothing more than that, and slow, plodding, boring football is just not something I think the league and the owners are going to allow. Seattle will be relegated to the basement. Does no one else see this? You cannot market an NFL team that way unless you have Lamar Jackson, period.

Again, if PC promotes Canales there will be a revolt, IMO. I could be totally wrong, and it may just be me revolting, but that will be a PR disaster for a team that now desperately needs a sizzle hire. They just can't sell anything less to the fans and media, IMO.
The blue pride list has 12k fans and it is only 12k because they limit it to 12k. If 12k fans cancel their season tix because they don't like the OC hire their is probably 50k in line to take their places. I would guess maybe 20-30k season tix holders even know who the OC is let alone judge the qualifications of a new hire. If they hire Kirby from Oakland half would probably say, "Oh that's nice".
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:55 pm

dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:09 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:09 pm
auroraave wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:55 pm
Michael K. wrote:

The blue pride list has 12k fans and it is only 12k because they limit it to 12k. If 12k fans cancel their season tix because they don't like the OC hire their is probably 50k in line to take their places. I would guess maybe 20-30k season tix holders even know who the OC is let alone judge the qualifications of a new hire. If they hire Kirby from Oakland half would probably say, "Oh that's nice".
Five more years of Carroll might change that. I mean, even the casual and clueless fans understand that a team with no chance of winning a SB just ain't fun. Just look at Mariners attendance over the past 20 years. All those people who bought tickets for the "atmosphere" and "experience" of being at Safeco field dried up a long time ago.

douche

Post by douche » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:38 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:06 pm
I just don't think Pete cares about any of that. I feel I have seen enough from him to believe that he thinks there is only one way to win.

Once again, the best run teams we had? Beastmode and a QB that was dangerous in the Read Option. We have neither.
2015? The first year Lynch got hurt and wasn't a factor and the team was suffering from the INT in the Super Bowl? The offense was turned over to Wilson...a quick passing game. After a 3 and 4 start that is....but Wilson and Baldwin set records. He not only went away from that the next year, he went away from it in the playoffs. A missed FG from about 20 yards in the first round is the only reason we got to fall behind Carolina 31 to 0 just before the half in the second round! We went back to that offense, got into FG range before the half and even got the ball back in the 4th quarter only down one score! How? By playing a brand of ball he doesn't like. So? We stopped doing it...again.

This year? He bitches about a lack of run game after a week 1 victory where we lead 38 to 17 and won by 13. After a 5 and 0 start he decided he wasn't comfortable with that brand of ball, so we changed, finished 7 and 5, but at least that fucker was comfortable. This offense looked the same under Bates as it did under Bevell and pretty much the same under Schotty. They all got fired because doing it Pete's way wasn't working anymore. How convenient for Pete. Play my style of football, but when it doesn't work I am going to kick your ass to the curb.

Beastmode isn't coming back, Wilson aint a threat in the Read Option, and the LOB and one of the best defenses of all time are not coming back. He don't care, gonna play that way anyway. He wasted most of the best years of Russ Wilson, and I think the end of last year is what you see when a QB has been beaten down. He was so concerned about turnovers he was looking to fall down before the rush got to him and refused to throw anything that wasn't wide ass open. You can't play QB that way. He doesn't need to be Brett Favre, but what he has turned into is Chad Pennington!
Totally agree. I think the same thing when I look at Rodgers. The Packers didn't put enough pieces around him so he makes them good enough to be a playoff team, but not a Super Bowl team. I had a Packers fan tell me that exact same thing.

douche

Post by douche » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:56 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:09 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:59 pm
A much easier way of saying what I did! LOL

The reason he will promote a yes game run coordinator and keep Canola Oil, or what ever his damn name is, for the passing game? Is maybe because he is an insane demented fool, but I think it is more because his ego makes him think he can fix everything...people just need to do what the fuck he tells them. We saw that...it lead to a 7 and 5 finish and an asswhooping by a shitty Rams team in the playoffs.
I had this exact conversation with another fan a couple of years ago. At the time, we were both wondering if Pete had some personal issues and/or was losing his mind?

The sad part is that this team is no closer to the big game. They've only regressed since their last appearance. I'm a huge fan of Lynch and I might be going out on a limb when I say this, but you've alluded it to as well... Lynch made this team go. He was the engine. I think his contributions were undervalued. And a guy like that only comes along once in a long time.

Yes, they had a great defense, no question, but Lynch made the entire offense work.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:20 pm

I don't think there's that much of a drop-off from Lynch to Carson. I think the threat of Wilson running the ball was what made the offense work more than anything. Why they got away from that i don't know.