Some juicy ass stuff from Mather here (Not meant for public)

TraderGary

Re: Some juicy ass stuff from Mather here (Not meant for public)

Post by TraderGary » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:53 am

Chew on this for a moment.......one of the most amazing things about this whole escapade is that we had a team president/CEO running this organization who clearly lacks common sense.

What president or high-ranking officer in any business, sports or otherwise, would say the kinds of things he said about his employees (and assets) in a public setting. Anyone with any common sense whatsoever would not spew the ignorant comments he made that day. It just boggles the mind.

Business wise, he's obviously been very successful prior to this debacle. But it sure makes you wonder sometimes how someone like Mather was able to find success in their professional lives when they're frankly just not very bright. What a moron.

Hopefully this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise and we'll end up getting a real baseball person in there, not some bean counter.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:59 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:39 am
bpj wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:20 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:05 pm

So let's wait and see.

I'm just glad to know that Jarred Kelenic will be in LF come April instead of Eddie "fucking" Rosario. It takes minor leaguers a bit of time to get used to playing the Major Leagues. I'd rather have him adjusting to that in 2021 than 2022 when we are making our run for the pennant.
You're talking about the playoffs and missing by a few games, we'll see by the end of the year.

And is describing him as "fucking" your effeminate way of making that sound like a negative thing?

I'll take Eddie Fucking Rosario in LF all day in a wild card hunt over the kid you think will earn his way up. See how it can be a good thing too?
Except the M's aren't going for the Wild card this year. Not finamcially.
They aren't trying, so they are going to barely miss it by the skin-of-their-1-good-player-that-could-have-been-in-LF.

Which you're cheering them for. For a 21 year old that was in AA.

maoling

Post by maoling » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:33 am

TraderGary wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:53 am
Chew on this for a moment.......one of the most amazing things about this whole escapade is that we had a team president/CEO running this organization who clearly lacks common sense.

What president or high-ranking officer in any business, sports or otherwise, would say the kinds of things he said about his employees (and assets) in a public setting. Anyone with any common sense whatsoever would not spew the ignorant comments he made that day. It just boggles the mind.

Business wise, he's obviously been very successful prior to this debacle. But it sure makes you wonder sometimes how someone like Mather was able to find success in their professional lives when they're frankly just not very bright. What a moron.

Hopefully this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise and we'll end up getting a real baseball person in there, not some bean counter.
Exactly. And it speaks to the heart of the issue:

This franchise has been run for decades by corporate numb-nuts who have no real desire or baseball brains to win a WS. Mather's swan dive once again drove home the point. They don't know whether to shit or wind their watch and they don't even care lol.
Last edited by maoling on Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:51 am

bpj wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:59 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
bpj wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:20 am

You're talking about the playoffs and missing by a few games, we'll see by the end of the year.

And is describing him as "fucking" your effeminate way of making that sound like a negative thing?

I'll take Eddie Fucking Rosario in LF all day in a wild card hunt over the kid you think will earn his way up. See how it can be a good thing too?
They aren't trying, so they are going to barely miss it by the skin-of-their-1-good-player-that-could-have-been-in-LF.

Kelenic is gonna be here either way. Its part of the rebuild. I'd say I'm more on the front offices pace of the rebuild than most. No sense in rushing it. I want them to do it right.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:14 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:51 am

Kelenic is gonna be here either way. Its part of the rebuild. I'd say I'm more on the front offices pace of the rebuild than most. No sense in rushing it. I want them to do it right.
I'm with you. Covid set the rebuild back a year. I'm fine with being patient and letting the prospects get their chance.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:52 am

Hasslecracked wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:57 pm
1. Seager may be overpaid, but in this year in the rebuild he is a big factor for us. We will need a motivated Seager to make any kind of run for the playoffs. By writing him off and calling him overpaid, you just totally offended the guy.
Right, he also said several things that were highly complimentary of Seager. Perhaps you missed those.
Hasslecracked wrote: 2. He was very condensing and appeared annoyed that Kelenic declined their offer. He even said White was a good boy for accepting the low offer after this. Seemed like he was taking a cheap shot for Kelenic not taking the deal.
He said White was a nice young man, not a "good boy". Obviously you don't give a crap about accuracy but there is a difference there. :roll: And while it appeared he may have been frustrated that JK didn't take his offer, he did say this: "I wouldn’t say he’s unhappy, he appreciates the offer, he just refused to sign it. He thinks he’s going to be that good. And he thinks he will be a very well-paid player after six years, and I think he might be right. Hopefully with us, but we’ll see where we end up".
Hasslecracked wrote: 3. Said "There was no way we were going to move our prospects to the big leagues off our taxi squad to preserve service time" and also said "We won't see Gilbert til mid April to preserve his time". Pretty obvious he's talking about Gilbert.
Attempting to preserve the service time of a prospect is pretty much business as usual. And was Gilbert actually ready last year? If not, why would you want to lose a year of control by not holding him back a couple weeks into this season? Do you think it would have been better for Gilbert and Kelenic to be rushed to the majors anyway?
Hasslecracked wrote: 4. When talking glowingly about a prospect, what does his English have to do with anything? It was an unneeded comment that quite frankly offended the player himself.
As i explained, it was perhaps to stress the oddity of his friendship with Kelenic. And you seem to be forgetting (or ignorant of) the fact that this event wasn't meant for public consumption.
Hasslecracked wrote: 5. He said 'Kuma instantly talked better English when we said we couldn't afford an interpretor'. Again, whats the point of saying this about a long time loyal man of our organization.
Long time loyal man lol? He was under contract when he played for the team wasn't he? Seems like Mather was kind in creating a position for him as the asian scout or go between when he made it known he wanted to return to MLB in some capacity. I think the English comment was an attempt at humor. But the left is humorless and he should have taken that into consideration.
Hasslecracked wrote: 6. Comparing free agents to homeless beggars looking for loose change isn't gonna entice anyone to sign here for cheap or at all. It was a backhanded compliment all the way around.
He was pointing out that free agents have less leverage given the $2.9 bil in losses incurred by MLB last year. It was a bit demeaning but, again, probably in a humorous vein and not directed at the players in this private venue.
Hasslecracked wrote: 7. Regarding the Latin players, he said 'They play as 15 and 16 year olds in our facilities with no hot water and rock filled stadiums" 1st off, why does a billion dollar team have such shit facilities? He proceeds with "We put them in the Hamptons and give them $30, they don't know what to do with themselves" Very degrading saying that about poor Latin players.
He was talking about conditions 20 years ago. Your reading comprehension is not tremendous. :roll:
Last edited by Sibelius Hindemith on Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:53 am

Not following that thread line, but yeah, I think they feel COVID set things back, and not sure that's financial as it was player development

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:01 am

maoling wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:33 am
TraderGary wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:53 am

Exactly. And it speaks to the heart of the issue:

This franchise has been run for decades by corporate numb-nuts who have no real desire or baseball brains to win a WS. Mather's swan dive once again drove home the point. They don't whether to shit or wind their watch and they don't even care lol.
It wasn't a public setting. The meeting was private and only because someone put it on youtube, undoubtedly without Mather's knowledge or consent, that it created a stir.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:07 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:53 am
Not following that thread line, but yeah, I think they feel COVID set things back, and not sure that's financial as it was player development
Yes, and bringing 15 of the top prospects to Tacoma so they could train with major league coaches helped to mitigate some of that. What more could they have done development-wise than to rush guys like Kelenic and Gilbert to the majors for a 60 game season on a team that wasn't going to contend even if those prospects played well? Did anyone on this forum last year think they should promote them to the majors under that scenario?

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:13 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:51 am
bpj wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:59 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

Part of not rushing it would be filling your MLB gaps and letting your minor league kids force their way up instead of planning on their arrival like it's a sure thing.