Some juicy ass stuff from Mather here (Not meant for public)

Sexymarinersfan

Re: Some juicy ass stuff from Mather here (Not meant for public)

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:25 am

bpj wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:16 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:00 am
bpj wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:58 am
Kolten Wong coming off a 30 year old season at .675 OPS, here, please change leagues and come play on my team!

Nuh-uh. Not up in here.
But for a second baseman thats not horrible. Its that he was ranked the 3rd best defensive second baseman in the League last year that really excited me.

I would've preferred LaStella however.
For a 2B it's not horrible. Unless the best hitter on our team last year is also capable of playing that position.

The Mariners were going to put Moore in LF when it's not the best thing for the team or Moore. And then pay an aging guy a Figgins contract. Get outta here.

The fact that they were looking at Lastella has me back on the fire Dipoto wagon.

Literally the ONLY guy of the Marmolejos/Bishop/Fraley/etc. bunch that earned any kind of look going into this year is Dylan Moore. And he's the one they're moving off.

Eff Dipoto is where I'm at on it.
LaStella had a .370 OBP last season with ONLY 12 strikeouts to 27 walks!!! And you'd be mad at Dipoto for that?!

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:05 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:25 am
bpj wrote:
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:00 am

But for a second baseman thats not horrible. Its that he was ranked the 3rd best defensive second baseman in the League last year that really excited me.

I would've preferred LaStella however.
For a 2B it's not horrible. Unless the best hitter on our team last year is also capable of playing that position.

The Mariners were going to put Moore in LF when it's not the best thing for the team or Moore. And then pay an aging guy a Figgins contract. Get outta here.

The fact that they were looking at Lastella has me back on the fire Dipoto wagon.

Literally the ONLY guy of the Marmolejos/Bishop/Fraley/etc. bunch that earned any kind of look going into this year is Dylan Moore. And he's the one they're moving off.

LaStella had a .370 OBP last season with ONLY 12 strikeouts to 27 walks!!! And you'd be mad at Dipoto for that?!
He's yet to have 100 hits in a season.

Do you want to pay a guy $19 million who hasn't proved he can play a 162-game gauntlet? Idk.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:11 am

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:05 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:25 am
bpj wrote:

He's yet to have 100 hits in a season.

Do you want to pay a guy $19 million who hasn't proved he can play a 162-game gauntlet? Idk.
No, that's too high. I'm glad we didn't beat the Giants offer. But I would've taken him on a lesser deal. Maybe $15-16M over 3 years.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:15 am

A 32 year old to a multi year contract that has been a part time player his entire career at best?

Why exactly do you like him? He's one year younger than Seager and has played 531 games over 7 seasons. Nobodys talking about extending Seager two years and he plays every game.

La Stella has played over 100 games once in 7 years.

Somebody said Moore hadn't proven himself while he's making minimum wage. But this role player is a multi millionaire on a multi year contract?

You can't trust this team to bench a player they owe money to if they underperform (Aoki/Miley/Dee/Figgins)

I'll stick with the Moores you can replace if they don't perform.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:57 am

bpj wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:15 am
A 32 year old to a multi year contract that has been a part time player his entire career at best?

Why exactly do you like him? He's one year younger than Seager and has played 531 games over 7 seasons. Nobodys talking about extending Seager two years and he plays every game.

La Stella has played over 100 games once in 7 years.

Somebody said Moore hadn't proven himself while he's making minimum wage. But this role player is a multi millionaire on a multi year contract?

You can't trust this team to bench a player they owe money to if they underperform (Aoki/Miley/Dee/Figgins)

I'll stick with the Moores you can replace if they don't perform.
I like the fact that LaStella would've given us a proven vet middle infielder that can play just about anywhere on the field, which makes us even more versatile. We are sorely lacking in middle infield depth in this organization. I think he fits Dipoto's C to the Z mentality perfectly. He also has an excellent BB/K%, and 32 years old isn't the end of baseball.

I was really hoping for one of Toronto's middle infield prospects in the Taijuan Walker deal. At least we drafted Kaden Polcovich to help replenish the minor league infield ranks. I hope we can grab another in this next year's draft.

There are other options out there besides just LaStella and Kolten Wong. I'm not tied down to any specific infielder such as you might be to "EFR". I just know that we're gonna need some more depth at the major league level for the infield come the pennant push.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:18 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:29 am
bpj wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:27 am
I'm old enough to remember top 25 prospect Jeremy Reed and Dustin Ackley.
Man I was so broken hearted over Ackley. Why you gotta bring up touchy subjects lol. :lol:
Ackley wasn't ready? He hit .272....348...417 ...766 his first season being called up after destroying AAA...

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:22 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:18 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:29 am
bpj wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:27 am
I'm old enough to remember top 25 prospect Jeremy Reed and Dustin Ackley.
Man I was so broken hearted over Ackley. Why you gotta bring up touchy subjects lol. :lol:
Ackley wasn't ready? He hit .272....348...417 ...766 his first season being called up after destroying AAA...
I agree. Didn't his agent push for the Mariners to make his deal a Major League contract?

Once the book got out on Ackley that he couldn't handle anything away, he was done. Stupid beard!

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:28 pm

Yeah, believe you are correct. The thing about him being rushed is revisionism, no evidence of it. Put up great numbers in the minors and hit his first season in the majors

His minor league career
. He rapidly moved from the Javelinas (2010, R) ->Jackson Generals (2010, AA)->Tacoma Rainiers (2011, AAA)->Seattle Mariners (2011, MLB).
During those two years in the minors he accumulated a triple slash line of .315/.432/.516 and an impressive wOBA+ of .419!
He walked a lot (17.1%) and didn’t strike out a lot (12.7%)

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:33 pm

bpj wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:13 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:51 am
bpj wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:59 am

They aren't trying, so they are going to barely miss it by the skin-of-their-1-good-player-that-could-have-been-in-LF.

Which you're cheering them for. For a 21 year old that was in AA.
Kelenic is gonna be here either way. Its part of the rebuild. I'd say I'm more on the front offices pace of the rebuild than most. No sense in rushing it. I want them to do it right.
Part of not rushing it would be filling your MLB gaps and letting your minor league kids force their way up instead of planning on their arrival like it's a sure thing.
Yeah, JK in LF in April seems to be the epitome of rushing it imo.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:45 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:44 am
Reading the Passon piece...Mather calling it a lapse of judgement. A lapse of judgment would have been a single flub, that was the entire session, that wasn't a lapse of judgment. Passon pointing out a number of things were not even true. Which gets to motivation, what was he after? Seems to me self promotion wasn't it? That kind of behavior, making himself bigger, more important? That's kind of wild coming from a CEO. In terms of Stanton, that was the guy they had running their baseball team. I doubt Mathers went through some sort of transformation when opened that zoom meeting
Exactly. I saw someone basically telling people how smart he was and looking like a complete jackass doing it.
dt