6 questions facing the M's per LL

bpj

Re: 6 questions facing the M's per LL

Post by bpj » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:07 pm

And how is playing a guy that's 80% as good as the starter at 5 different positions a week helping your team?

Just put your good players on the field. That's why you pay em the big bucks.

The fact that Mallex Smith will get more time is exactly why this organization are such losers.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:54 am

Lookout Landings Q and A included these to important questions. lol
What ever happened with the Lorena Martin accusations? Have they been settled, dismissed or are they ongoing? — Chris W. (Twitter)

Tim: This is a hard one to answer in a mailbag-length form, but I’ll do my best. In short, nothing has changed from the initial decision of the court sending the dispute into arbitration. Dr. Martin appealed and I’ll spare the lengthy procedural discussion, but the appeal failed and the dispute remains in arbitration. It’s possible that’s even been resolved by now, but we won’t know that unless the parties tell us. All in all, it’s not a surprising result (that it ended up in arbitration), but it’s a disappointing one for anyone who was troubled by the allegations and would like a more full and fair factual accounting to make any sort of substantial judgment about it. As to a timeline for finding out more: I wouldn’t expect to find out more until Dr. Martin announces something about the process, and there’s no way of knowing when that might be or if it would happen at all.

How long til we get to see women playing in the MLB? — Nils D. (Twitter)

Eric: Not soon enough. We’re seeing the very beginnings of changes in the infrastructure of women’s baseball leagues, but I don’t know if there is a player out there currently playing that is going to be the one to break that wall down. It’s certainly possible that person is alive right now and will be the first one in the next 10 to 15 years, or maybe sooner, but such big systemic changes take time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to play softball, but since that’s been the only option for women to take their passion for the game to the next level in college play, there’s been decades and decades of all the talent being diverted into softball starting way back when players are 8-10 years old. Only in the last few years have there been more options popping up for women to play baseball at youth levels, college levels, and at the US National Team level. I’m very happy about the progress and if resource levels for women’s leagues (or just more encouragement of non-gender exclusive leagues at the lower levels) continue to level out (although let’s be real, they will probably never be equal), then I don’t see why talent levels wouldn’t eventually even out enough that we’d see women players who are 100% good enough to compete at the MLB level. Maybe that is overly idealistic, but a complete change to baseball’s infrastructure is what would need to happen.

Amanda: I’m going to be blunt. I hate this question (not you asking it, just the topic in general). It’s such a topic of conversation whenever anyone talks about girls and women playing baseball. I want women’s baseball to become a “thing”. I want there to be little leagues and adult leagues for it. I want there to be professional opportunities for women to play baseball. That requires a huge systematic change. The ideal of a woman playing in the major leagues is just a one-off showpiece held up as a way to make people think there has been progress, when it is just a distraction from larger systemic issues. Who cares if a woman ever plays in the major leagues? It would be cool and I would lose my mind over it. But it’s just not the point when it comes to professional baseball playing opportunities for women.

Kate: It’s not about talent levels evening out, it’s about girls and non-men being granted the same level of investment in their burgeoning baseball careers as their male counterparts. That touches everything from travel teams to training to being incentivized to stick with baseball over softball, when that’s where the scholarship money is. Like Amanda, I think the answer isn’t “put a woman in MLB” but “make an MLB for women,” or something where women have the opportunity to compete professionally so their playing careers don’t have to come to an end in college. At the bare minimum, it would be nice to see MLB do more to promote the WBSC, which women from around the world play in.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:59 am

What, the Boy Scouts wasn't enough for them...

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:03 am

Good lord, I missed this line:
Kate: It’s not about talent levels evening out, it’s about girls and non-men being granted the same level of investment in their burgeoning baseball careers as their male counterparts.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:50 am

Nobody wants to watch women play professional baseball. It's why where isn't a professional softball league (unless the really is, but that just proves my point). Just look at the WNBA. I couldn't name 1 player, or even team for that matter in the WNBA. I think it may be interesting to have college women's baseball, or Olympics, but nobody cares about professional women's sports. It won't make money so that's why it won't happen.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:39 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:50 am
Nobody wants to watch women play professional baseball. It's why where isn't a professional softball league (unless the really is, but that just proves my point). Just look at the WNBA. I couldn't name 1 player, or even team for that matter in the WNBA. I think it may be interesting to have college women's baseball, or Olympics, but nobody cares about professional women's sports. It won't make money so that's why it won't happen.
Imagine if Trump said this

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:30 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sounds like you have zero chance of ever being elected to the Seattle City Council:
Councilwoman Juarez worked countless hours as the chair of the Arena Committee. She would’ve welcomed credit for that effort. But then she said this before the final vote:

“I just want to remind everyone that it is 2018. Let’s not live in the past. We just celebrated our WNBA National Championship. Go Seattle Storm. Thank you owners of Seattle Storm. I guess sometimes when I hear people just go on and on about ’08 and their hearts being ripped out I get a little annoyed because that was 10 years ago, so you kind of gotta let that go. (Laughter from council)”
dt

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:50 am

Juliooooo wrote:
The WNBA provides great entertainment for the LBJQT community as does women's soccer. It's inferior, rather stupid, but god bless 'em if they can get a profitable league going. If somebody wants to start a women's baseball league, so be it..... Just don't expect to receive big bucks and huge TV receipts. And don't even pretend to say women baseball athletes compare to men..... I'd love to see one of those lesbian bitches stand in against a hundred and four mph inside fastball, and we'll never see one barrel up a low fast ball and send it for a 500 foot ride...got nothing against people's sexual orientation... just be real..

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:30 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:54 am
Lookout Landings Q and A included these to important questions. lol
What ever happened with the Lorena Martin accusations? Have they been settled, dismissed or are they ongoing? — Chris W. (Twitter)

Tim: This is a hard one to answer in a mailbag-length form, but I’ll do my best. In short, nothing has changed from the initial decision of the court sending the dispute into arbitration. Dr. Martin appealed and I’ll spare the lengthy procedural discussion, but the appeal failed and the dispute remains in arbitration. It’s possible that’s even been resolved by now, but we won’t know that unless the parties tell us. All in all, it’s not a surprising result (that it ended up in arbitration), but it’s a disappointing one for anyone who was troubled by the allegations and would like a more full and fair factual accounting to make any sort of substantial judgment about it. As to a timeline for finding out more: I wouldn’t expect to find out more until Dr. Martin announces something about the process, and there’s no way of knowing when that might be or if it would happen at all.

How long til we get to see women playing in the MLB? — Nils D. (Twitter)

Eric: Not soon enough. We’re seeing the very beginnings of changes in the infrastructure of women’s baseball leagues, but I don’t know if there is a player out there currently playing that is going to be the one to break that wall down. It’s certainly possible that person is alive right now and will be the first one in the next 10 to 15 years, or maybe sooner, but such big systemic changes take time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to play softball, but since that’s been the only option for women to take their passion for the game to the next level in college play, there’s been decades and decades of all the talent being diverted into softball starting way back when players are 8-10 years old. Only in the last few years have there been more options popping up for women to play baseball at youth levels, college levels, and at the US National Team level. I’m very happy about the progress and if resource levels for women’s leagues (or just more encouragement of non-gender exclusive leagues at the lower levels) continue to level out (although let’s be real, they will probably never be equal), then I don’t see why talent levels wouldn’t eventually even out enough that we’d see women players who are 100% good enough to compete at the MLB level. Maybe that is overly idealistic, but a complete change to baseball’s infrastructure is what would need to happen.

Amanda: I’m going to be blunt. I hate this question (not you asking it, just the topic in general). It’s such a topic of conversation whenever anyone talks about girls and women playing baseball. I want women’s baseball to become a “thing”. I want there to be little leagues and adult leagues for it. I want there to be professional opportunities for women to play baseball. That requires a huge systematic change. The ideal of a woman playing in the major leagues is just a one-off showpiece held up as a way to make people think there has been progress, when it is just a distraction from larger systemic issues. Who cares if a woman ever plays in the major leagues? It would be cool and I would lose my mind over it. But it’s just not the point when it comes to professional baseball playing opportunities for women.

Kate: It’s not about talent levels evening out, it’s about girls and non-men being granted the same level of investment in their burgeoning baseball careers as their male counterparts. That touches everything from travel teams to training to being incentivized to stick with baseball over softball, when that’s where the scholarship money is. Like Amanda, I think the answer isn’t “put a woman in MLB” but “make an MLB for women,” or something where women have the opportunity to compete professionally so their playing careers don’t have to come to an end in college. At the bare minimum, it would be nice to see MLB do more to promote the WBSC, which women from around the world play in.
“Women in the MLB?”

Eric: Not soon enough.

Who the hell is this Eric?

“Enlightened” Dunce.

My God we can’t even get strapping $20 mil a year Guys to go 6 innings!

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:57 am

a female NFL player is actually closer to reality...