Spam

Logainismyhero
Posts: 299
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 3:54 am

Spam

Post by Logainismyhero » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:46 pm

Thought this was supposed to be a spam free board?

This place is as bad at the Times.

Petert
Posts: 687
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 3:03 am
Location: West Seattle
Contact:

Re: Spam

Post by Petert » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:54 pm

If a member can post with ease, a spammer can spam with ease. Automated scripting makes it relatively simple, and once a site or forum is found to be spammable, word gets around.

At the very least, Darren ensures it’s policed very regularly, and cleaned up quickly, which alone makes it much different from, and much superior to, the ST forum.

D-train
Posts: 7653
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Kirkland

Re: Spam

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:40 pm

Logainismyhero wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:46 pm
Thought this was supposed to be a spam free board?

This place is as bad at the Times.
Do you expect me to stay up all night deleting spam? You know you have pretty much worn out you welcome on the Hawks forum. I think it might be time for you to say good bye.
dt

Bil522
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 12:52 am

Re: Spam

Post by Bil522 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:21 pm

Can I get a fried spam with grilled pineapple sandwich with fries and a Rootbeer?

Bil522
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 12:52 am

Re: Spam

Post by Bil522 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:27 pm

Logainismyhero wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:46 pm
Thought this was supposed to be a spam free board?

This place is as bad at the Times.
It is better than the Times....since the Times no longer has a board. Also, Darren does a great job deleting the spam. He even took care of the wildly popular Horse Racing board when it got hit.

It is a great place to post

User avatar
bpj
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:55 am

Re: Spam

Post by bpj » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:37 pm

I was never told spam free, just that there was a very active member of the M's community that would deal with the spam because, from the sounds of it, Joan had retired at the ST but was still dealing with the spam because the Times could not devote the resources to a non-revenue-generating resource, so that forums demise sounded imminent.

I know I'm thankful for what Dtrain does stopping the spammers that find their way here. Personally I wouldnt take 10 seconds out of my day so you bunch of libs could have a place to talk :lol: , thanks for taking your time dtrain, it seems better than the old forum so far to me.

D-train
Posts: 7653
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Kirkland

Re: Spam

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:50 pm

I wonder if there's a way to make the enrollment procedures more stringent. Might be good to check with the company that developed the software.
dt

Bil522
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 12:52 am

Re: Spam

Post by Bil522 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:51 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:50 pm
I wonder if there's a way to make the enrollment procedures more stringent. Might be good to check with the company that developed the software.
The downside to that is you don't get people who drop in to take a look and find it interesting and stay. I used to run a chat for horseracing and that was always my greatest dilema

Logainismyhero
Posts: 299
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 3:54 am

Re: Spam

Post by Logainismyhero » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:33 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:40 pm
Logainismyhero wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:46 pm
Thought this was supposed to be a spam free board?

This place is as bad at the Times.
Do you expect me to stay up all night deleting spam? You know you have pretty much worn out you welcome on the Hawks forum. I think it might be time for you to say good bye.
Nah, I'll stick around.

D-train
Posts: 7653
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Kirkland

Re: Spam

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:03 pm

Logainismyhero wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:33 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:40 pm
Logainismyhero wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:46 pm
Thought this was supposed to be a spam free board?

This place is as bad at the Times.
Do you expect me to stay up all night deleting spam? You know you have pretty much worn out you welcome on the Hawks forum. I think it might be time for you to say good bye.
Nah, I'll stick around.
Ok. But try a little harder to not be a dick. You pay nothing to be here. The person that started this site spent his own money to do so and I am not getting paid to delete spam so you really don't have any grounds to bitch about the site especially since the vast majority of what you bring is of little to negative value.
dt

Post Reply