Go on then....... I will bite

mostonmike

Go on then....... I will bite

Post by mostonmike » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:02 pm

Wow! Extraordinary that a Sounders sub-forum has appeared. Pretty sure nobody cares about MLS, the Sounders or Soccer in general in the US but seems these Sounders are drawing crowds of around 32,000.

Perhaps we talk about the World Cup instead? What a group the US have been drawn in for this year's event, two of the British countries and Iran.

Mon 21 Nov: 2 p.m. ET USA vs. Wales
Fri 25 Nov: 2 p.m. ET: USA vs. England (Black Friday)
Tue 29 Nov: 2 p.m. ET: USA vs. Iran

And if that's not exciting enough, you have the 2026 World Cup to look forward to, hosted by those great friends - Mexico, Canada and the US. At least with Seattle likely to stage some of the games, its adds another excuse for me to make a trip over there.

I'm sure you will all be tuning in to the big announcement on Thursday about 2026 :roll: . Sarcasm aside if you get to host a semi-final or a final that would be as big in soccer terms as a Superbowl. Think they will go with the Rosebowl and Metlife so don't get your or my hopes up.

Anyway look forward to precisely little or no discussion about the Super Sounders. Just thought the forum in general looked a bit shit having a topic with no threads. :lol:
Last edited by mostonmike on Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Re: Go on then....... I will bite

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:49 pm

World Cup is the only time I get interested in Soccer. I do think it is an amazing spectacle. So do you think the US advances with England out of their group.

Just looked and Wales has the same population as Philadelphia. ~3 million people. lol less than 1/100th of the US. And if we can't beat Iran.... :?
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:23 pm

btw I just reached out to my Seahawk Season tix acct. rep and he confirmed the July 19th date.
dt

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:33 pm

Wales are a very good side and will give England a tough game never mind the US. Most of their players play in the Premier League and Gareth Bale is an ageing but superstar player. I can see a draw in your opening game which won’t be a bad result. England usually play cautiously in the group making life difficult for themselves and might even go into the last game against Wales needing a win to go through.

Then it might come down to how heavily you can beat Iran to sneak through on goal difference aka goal differential. Also wouldn’t surprise us if England finish third. We are that Mariners-esque at times you never know.

Think the tix will sell really quickly for Munich. Going to have a couple of people on it. Got a couple of Seahawks fans at work, who are up for the weekend. Not sure whether to book flights early or wait until the tix are secured.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:37 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:33 pm
Wales are a very good side and will give England a tough game never mind the US. Most of their players play in the Premier League and Gareth Bale is an ageing but superstar player. I can see a draw in your opening game which won’t be a bad result. England usually play cautiously in the group making life difficult for themselves and might even go into the last game against Wales needing a win to go through.

Then it might come down to how heavily you can beat Iran to sneak through on goal difference aka goal differential. Also wouldn’t surprise us if England finish third. We are that Mariners-esque at times you never know.

Think the tix will sell really quickly for Munich. Going to have a couple of people on it. Got a couple of Seahawks fans at work, who are up for the weekend. Not sure whether to book flights early or wait until the tix are secured.
Fascinating. When I played soccer in the 70s as a kid it was really getting popular and everyone said it would soon be the #1 sport in the US. And here we are almost 50 years later facing a country with 3 million people that will give us a significant challenge. Its bizarre.

Will have tix 4 months prior to the trip so I am just going to wait to buy airfare.
dt

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:36 pm

Think the original NASL that you might remember made monumental errors in that the teams brought in the biggest stars of all time Pele, Beckenbauer and Best who were well past their best albeit they had some memorable flashes left in them. The league also expanded too quickly meaning the overall standard was terrible.

It spectacularly collapsed and there were no US stars coming through so your national team didn't develop either. You lost at least 30 years and fell so far behind the rest of the world as a result. Credibility is slowly growing though and you never know a US v England World Cup final might happen in our lifetimes.

I imagine it will be the same year I am sat with you celebrating the Mariners win the World Series. :lol:

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:10 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:36 pm
Think the original NASL that you might remember made monumental errors in that the teams brought in the biggest stars of all time Pele, Beckenbauer and Best who were well past their best albeit they had some memorable flashes left in them. The league also expanded too quickly meaning the overall standard was terrible.

It spectacularly collapsed and there were no US stars coming through so your national team didn't develop either. You lost at least 30 years and fell so far behind the rest of the world as a result. Credibility is slowly growing though and you never know a US v England World Cup final might happen in our lifetimes.

I imagine it will be the same year I am sat with you celebrating the Mariners win the World Series. :lol:
I think we will be watching those to events from above.......or below in my case. :D
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:34 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:37 pm
And here we are almost 50 years later facing a country with 3 million people that will give us a significant challenge. Its bizarre.
I never bought in that it was going to ever be huge in this country. But the size discrepancy is crazy. Of course, if this was baseball, basketball or football we would beat them like a drum.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:57 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:34 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:37 pm
And here we are almost 50 years later facing a country with 3 million people that will give us a significant challenge. Its bizarre.
I never bought in that it was going to ever be huge in this country. But the size discrepancy is crazy. Of course, if this was baseball, basketball or football we would beat them like a drum.
Isn't youth soccer still popular? Problem is that while it is fun to play, most Americans think it is boring to watch.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:58 am

That is exactly it. If American won't watch it on TV, it ain't going to be bigger than the big 3.