Go on then....... I will bite

D-train

Re: Go on then....... I will bite

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:14 am

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:58 am
That is exactly it. If American won't watch it on TV, it ain't going to be bigger than the big 3.
I have tried to watch, I really have but even for the best of the world it is just too difficult to maintain possession in traffic so you get dozens and dozens of changes of possession near mid field with almost zero chance of scoring a goal. Just back and forth with no tension or excitement. They can go 20-30 minutes with out a single shot on goal. It is just mind numbing.

Like I have said, if you just don't allow the goalie to use their hands like EVERY other guy on the field, you would get more Hockey or baseball type scores and the game would remain essentially the same but with just more goals.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:21 am

Here is an example of a match that ended in a boring AF 0-0 draw. One goalie had 6 saves and one had 2.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/competitions/ ... 6-26-2022/

Probably about half could have been saved without using their hands so it would have been something like a 3-1 score vs. 0-0. I mean check this out. Half of the 12 sides didn't manage of single goal here and half ended in draws. It is just fundamentally flawed when that can be the case. Sorry MonstonMike!

mls.JPG
mls.JPG (45.6 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:52 pm

There actually is a lot going on, in stadium. Watching a Sounders game live is pretty cool. Watching it on TV is like getting ready to watch a nap. Do I find a rerun of Bob Ross painting Happy Trees, or a soccer match? Either way, I am going to sleep.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:22 pm

dt

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:48 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:21 am
Here is an example of a match that ended in a boring AF 0-0 draw. One goalie had 6 saves and one had 2.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/competitions/ ... 6-26-2022/

Probably about half could have been saved without using their hands so it would have been something like a 3-1 score vs. 0-0. I mean check this out. Half of the 12 sides didn't manage of single goal here and half ended in draws. It is just fundamentally flawed when that can be the case. Sorry MonstonMike!

mls.JPG
Keep forgetting to check this sub forum. The 0-0 ( nil nil it’s called ) is actually like a pitching masterclass, remember the 1-0 win over the Yankees earlier this season? That was universally acclaimed as one of the best games of the season.

No one is suggesting that baseball force position players to pitch to avoid nil-nils which might be the equivalent of goalies not allowed to handle the ball.

You could get your result of more goals by making the goals themselves bigger.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:35 pm

I find it odd that so many parents who played the game as a child have no clue how the game is played. They see the game from ground level however they have no awareness of strategy, which equates to how poorly coaches train their charges. Take, for example, a defender overlapping with the midfielder and moving rapidly into space. Or a winger pulling the ball back to see a defender go rushing by and them lofting the ball over the keeper to the far post so the opposite wing can get a touch for goal. Simple plays, but youth coaches have no clue though they may have that "C" or even "B" rating but lack imagination. If you know just a bit about soccer, you can see the plays develop and that makes the game more interesting. I'd rather watch a soccer match than an NBA game.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:16 pm

ddraig wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:35 pm
I find it odd that so many parents who played the game as a child have no clue how the game is played. They see the game from ground level however they have no awareness of strategy, which equates to how poorly coaches train their charges. Take, for example, a defender overlapping with the midfielder and moving rapidly into space. Or a winger pulling the ball back to see a defender go rushing by and them lofting the ball over the keeper to the far post so the opposite wing can get a touch for goal. Simple plays, but youth coaches have no clue though they may have that "C" or even "B" rating but lack imagination. If you know just a bit about soccer, you can see the plays develop and that makes the game more interesting. I'd rather watch a soccer match than an NBA game.
I would rather watch Two Fat pigs makin bacon that watch an NBA game.
dt