174 dead after fans stampede to exit Indonesian soccer match

mostonmike

174 dead after fans stampede to exit Indonesian soccer match

Post by mostonmike » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:55 am

Staggering news story from Indonesia. There have been a few similar incidents down the years at soccer games on the other side of the world. Think it says more about the safety and organisation of the game in some countries rather than the game of football itself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-63105945 (includes video footage)
from wiki

Malang Regency Office of Health reported that 182 people were killed in the incident. Among the confirmed casualties from police reports are at least 125 Arema FC supporters and 2 police officers (Police First Brigadier Fajar Yoyok Pujiono and Police Brigadier Andik Purwanto). Minors, mostly from ages 12 to 17, are also included within the casualties, with 17 dead and 7 injured.

The number is expected to further increase as some of the treated victims were "deteriorating". Among the fatalities, 34 were killed within the stadium, while the rest died while receiving medical treatment. The number of injuries is estimated at 180 or 190 people. The municipal government of Malang paid for the medical treatment of victims. The disaster is the second-deadliest in the history of association football worldwide, after the 1964 Estadio Nacional disaster in Peru which killed 328 people. It is also the deadliest in both Asia and Indonesia.

Kepanjen Regional Hospital and Wava Hospital are reported to be full of victims from the disaster, leading to some being sent to other hospitals around the city.

As a result of the incident, all Liga 1 matches were suspended for a week. The Football Association of Indonesia announced a ban on home matches for Arema for the rest of the season. President Joko Widodo later instructed the association to suspend all Liga 1 matches until all "evaluation of improvement of security procedures" is carried out.

The National Commission on Human Rights of Indonesia plans to investigate the incident and the use of tear gas by police. Although FIFA's rules say that tear gas should not be used inside stadiums, the chief of regional police defended its use, citing the threats posed by the rioters to team's players and officials. However, the police also stated that they will evaluate the use of tear gas.
Awful.

D-train

Re: 174 dead after fans stampede to exit Indonesian soccer match

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:36 pm

Hate to say it but you could likely have zero security or organization in the US or UK at any sporting event and all the fans would manage to stay alive. These fans in these countries are crazed lunatics in a lot of cases.
dt

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:51 pm

The UK has had many deaths in sports stadiums

Bolton in Greater Manchester 1946 crushing and stampede due to over capacity crowd, 33 deaths
Glasgow 1971, crush when fans returned to stadium after late comeback, 66 deaths
Bradford 1985, fire in wooden stand, 56 deaths
Sheffield, 1989, crush when poor policing filtered fans into already overcrowded stand, 97 deaths

Lots of old Victorian stadiums that were not fit for the 20th century that we only really learned to sort out after the 1989 one. There were 38 kids of aged 19 or under who died at Hillsborough and that haunts us to this day. They all arrived early to get a good view, just as I would have done. I was at a different game that day, mostly because my team was rubbish and we didn’t get through to the semi finals. I remember coming home from the match and mum and dad were stood at the door in tears that I had got home safely. No mobiles and all that.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:06 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:51 pm

Bolton in Greater Manchester 1946 crushing and stampede due to over capacity crowd, 33 deaths
Glasgow 1971, crush when fans returned to stadium after late comeback, 66 deaths
Sheffield, 1989, crush when poor policing filtered fans into already overcrowded stand, 97 deaths

Lots of old Victorian stadiums that were not fit for the 20th century that we only really learned to sort out after the 1989 one. There were 38 kids of aged 19 or under who died at Hillsborough and that haunts us to this day. They all arrived early to get a good view, just as I would have done. I was at a different game that day, mostly because my team was rubbish and we didn’t get through to the semi finals. I remember coming home from the match and mum and dad were stood at the door in tears that I had got home safely. No mobiles and all that.
Wow, unreal. Last one I recall in the US was a The Who concert in Cincinnati in 1979.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who_concert_disaster
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:14 pm

This century the only one in a Western country with 100+ was the Night Club fire at the very bottom
stampede.JPG
which is understandable.
dt

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:24 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:51 pm

LOL

I read that whole thing thinking you were from the Portland Oregon area. Than I was shocked when I seen it was the UK poster. Cheers.