World Cup 2022 Thread

D-train

Re: World Cup 2022 Thread

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:48 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:39 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:20 pm
England up 3 nil over the Evil Empire but someone important was just injured.
:lol:

The Evil Empire were awful today. England rarely get off to such a great start and our version of Julio Rodriguez truly announced his entry on the big stage, aged just 19 (Jude Bellingham)

I am really looking forward to this USA v Wales game tonight. Wales will give this game such commitment that defies the expectation of a country with a population of 3 million. I wouldn’t be surprised if they won. Bookmakers here have Wales slight favourites.

If there is one game that I would expect to demonstrate why football is so loved worldwide I predict it’s going to be this one. It should be a great advert for the game.

So put your money on a 0-0 (remember it’s nil-nil) now I said that :lol: (6/1)
Great start indeed for your boys but can't believe the missed the extra point and gave up a safety of all things! :)

Seems clear it will be a battle between us and Wales to move on. Go Merica!
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:38 pm

Man you 0-0 prediction looking good. USA controlling the ball but such limited opportunities....
dt

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:53 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:38 pm
Man you 0-0 prediction looking good. USA controlling the ball but such limited opportunities....
You can jinx the football forum as well :lol:

Good finish from the lad there. Weah’s dad was a phenomenal player. USA deserve their halftime lead but Wales haven’t turned up yet. The Welsh don’t have a particularly strong bench so they are going to find it tough to turn it around.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:22 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:53 pm
D-train wrote:

Good finish from the lad there. Weah’s dad was a phenomenal player. USA deserve their halftime lead but Wales haven’t turned up yet. The Welsh don’t have a particularly strong bench so they are going to find it tough to turn it around.
What did you think of the foul that cost us the win? Seems insane to me that they play 100 minutes and that costs us the victory. Would be like a pitcher hitting a batter with not outs in extra innings and the hitter gets to go to third base. Punishment doesn't fit the crime. imo.

What is the rate of success on PKs? 90%+
dt

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:47 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:22 pm
mostonmike wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:53 pm
D-train wrote:

What did you think of the foul that cost us the win? Seems insane to me that they play 100 minutes and that costs us the victory. Would be like a pitcher hitting a batter with not outs in extra innings and the hitter gets to go to third base. Punishment doesn't fit the crime. imo.

What is the rate of success on PKs? 90%+
Probably slightly less on penalty success rates, I'd be guessing 80-85%. Masses of data is now available on where players shoot - that sounds familiar, eh?

The added time thing is something that's developed over the last 20 years. Games would have run the full flat 90 minutes but cynicism started to creep in with deliberate time wasting when teams were in the lead. So they started adding on the minutes to try and act as a deterrent. You would generally only get 2 or 3 added minutes but since the introduction of Video Replay and increasing the number of allowed substituions, added time has started to become silly. They have considered stopping the clock like NFL but games would go on for hours. The ball is generally only in live play for 60 of the 90 minutes.

As for the foul, your defender was very naive there unfortunately. Bale was very clever knowing that he could shield the ball and draw a foul if the defender lunged in. He needed to stay on his feet because he was always likely to give away the pen if he tried the tackle. I don't watch much NBA but I sense their players often draw fouls in similar fashion. He fell for it and with more experience at the highest level, he wouldn't have done that

Wales were better second half. It's going to be tight now for qualifying. Might come down to goals scored and conceded.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:34 pm

Yeah I thought it was idiotic of him to do it. Not like the guy had and easy goal or even a shot on goal if he didn't. Reminded me of our football when a will commit pass interference on a guy even thought it is completely uncatchable.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:23 pm

dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:19 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:34 pm
Yeah I thought it was idiotic of him to do it. Not like the guy had and easy goal or even a shot on goal if he didn't. Reminded me of our football when a will commit pass interference on a guy even thought it is completely uncatchable.
There was a guy on Sports Center last night talking about it. Said it was a foolish play, but then broke down the entire play. The guy from Wales very quickly grabbed the ball to throw it in, and two or our defenders were slower to react, giving the opening that Whales took advantage of. It was pretty interesting. OK, not really, but I watched what he was saying. I am just not that into soccer. I tried. Going to a Sounders game in person is a blast, but watching on TV is nap time.

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:34 pm

C5AA0916-B36B-4DB7-9EB8-01EDA989F8E7.jpeg

Lovely story from England’s opening game.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:35 pm

Hilarious

Wales tied USA :lol: