Biggest Freaks/Wack jobs/trouble makers in Mariner history

D-train

Biggest Freaks/Wack jobs/trouble makers in Mariner history

Post by D-train » Thu May 06, 2021 11:49 pm

Off day shenanigans to take our minds off the fact that we have a team full of players that use balsa wood toothpicks for bats.

I'll start.

Carl Everett - didn't believe in Dinosaurs.
Everett is quite outspoken with his beliefs, and his remarks have proven controversial on several occasions. Perhaps the best-known of these was his denial of the existence of dinosaurs. He was quoted as saying, "God created the sun, the stars, the heavens and the earth, and then made Adam and Eve. The Bible never says anything about dinosaurs. You can't say there were dinosaurs when you never saw them. Somebody actually saw Adam and Eve eating apples. No one ever saw a Tyrannosaurus rex." He also derided fossils of dinosaur bones as man-made fakes.[3] In reference to these comments, Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy dubbed Everett "Jurassic Carl." Everett, in turn, referred to Shaughnessy as the "curly-haired boyfriend" of Globe beat writer Gordon Edes.[4]
dt

D-train

Re: Biggest Freaks/Wack jobs/trouble makers in Mariner history

Post by D-train » Thu May 06, 2021 11:58 pm

Maury Wills. Once snorted the entire Batter's box.
- A major-league manager so uninclined he missed the first two weeks of his first and only spring training with the Seattle Mariners so he could conduct baseball clinics in Japan.

- A desperate cocaine addict who began by snorting a few lines offered by a woman he picked up in a bar, graduated to free-basing the next day and spent the better part of the next four years in an incredible orgy of narcotic self- destruction.

(''I got one whiff of that free-base and, wow! My lights went out. Oh, what a rush! I had found a friend. I stayed in that house for a week. The girl was there with me, but I forgot about her. I spent $2,000 keeping everybody happy with cocaine before I left.'')

That was the beginning, in 1980, before the Mariners hired him to finish out the season as their manager. It was as good as life would be for Wills for a long time.
dt

Petert

Post by Petert » Fri May 07, 2021 12:21 am

D-train wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:58 pm
Maury Wills. Once snorted the entire Batter's box.
- A major-league manager so uninclined he missed the first two weeks of his first and only spring training with the Seattle Mariners so he could conduct baseball clinics in Japan.

- A desperate cocaine addict who began by snorting a few lines offered by a woman he picked up in a bar, graduated to free-basing the next day and spent the better part of the next four years in an incredible orgy of narcotic self- destruction.

(''I got one whiff of that free-base and, wow! My lights went out. Oh, what a rush! I had found a friend. I stayed in that house for a week. The girl was there with me, but I forgot about her. I spent $2,000 keeping everybody happy with cocaine before I left.'')

That was the beginning, in 1980, before the Mariners hired him to finish out the season as their manager. It was as good as life would be for Wills for a long time.
You can't beat Carl Everett. No way. Although I'm now wondering what it is that Scott Servais snorts. Line chalk ? Evan White's cup ?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri May 07, 2021 3:43 am

ImageImage
Police located a neighbor of Spiezio who told officers that he was assaulted by Spiezio at their condo complex a short distance from the crash site, Handfield said.

The neighbor said Spiezio had arrived home appearing disheveled and apparently injured. Spiezio vomited in his condo and then allegedly assaulted the neighbor, causing significant injuries, Handfield said.

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Fri May 07, 2021 8:32 am

How about Milton Bradley.

Dude was a psychopath.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 07, 2021 12:56 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:32 am
How about Milton Bradley.

Dude was a psychopath.
King of the Loons for sure.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Fri May 07, 2021 2:58 pm

Kevin Mitchell was no saint either, but I don't remember him doing anything untoward in his short stay here in Left Field.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 07, 2021 3:15 pm

dt

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Fri May 07, 2021 4:52 pm

Willie Bloomquist.

He once considered giving Adrian Beltre the old hot-foot, then realized that wouldn't be nice, so then hand-wrote an apology letter to Beltre for considering the possibility of giving him the hot-foot. Worst of all, the apology came off as less than 100% sincere.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Fri May 07, 2021 5:04 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:15 pm
Remember this??? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oleu84BqWCw
Too bad this fell on (bleepin') deaf ears with (bleepin') management! Same old (bleep) from the (bleepin') guys and gals who (bleepin') run this (bleepin') organization!