Re: Can't imagine SS doing this.

Post by Moe Gibbs » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Moe Gibbs wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:56 pm
Moe Gibbs wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:54 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:42 pm

Well the Yankees did come back and win the game. Maybe they would have anyway or maybe not..........
The thing to do is mark the date of this tirade and then monitor the team's performance from that date on. Sounds like an option that might be available at one of the Stat Services...?
Another thing to monitor would be The Ump's performance on strike zone calls moving forward.
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if someone hasn't already done a study in this area.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:14 pm

Interesting idea, Moe. I have never heard of it being done but it could easily be done and would be fascinating to see the results.
dt

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:46 pm

If you're a player on a MLB team and you hear your manager come out and tell the umpire, "my guys in that dugout are a bunch of fucking savages" and "this pitcher might be good, but my guys are fkn savages and you're blowing it for my guys who are better than this pitcher."

vs.

"My name is Scott Servais... and I stand at the step of the dugout 99% of the game with my arms crossed looking like I ate bad shellfish the night before. Umpires laugh at me and don't take me seriously when I fake like I'm angry. I've let multiple blown calls go this year that have negatively impacted my team's ability to be competitive."

Who would you rather play for?

Acting like there's no chance these MLB players have a normal human response to unrelenting support is just stupid.

You don't think Marco wishes that Servais was out there dismantling that ump after he blew the called strike 3 the other day? It shouldn't be Marco's job to have to grill the umpire and then bring it up after the game. Servais should have been out there defending his guy both during and after the game so Marco didn't have to... it's his job to pitch... It's a managers job to make sure his guys aren't getting screwed.

^^^ I mean how do you think it looks to the rest of the players on the team that Servais wasn't out there defending Marco? It looks terrible.

Happy as hell

Post by Happy as hell » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:07 pm

Here is an interesting analysis of how bad the umpires are at calling balls and strikes. Short answer: quite bad. And old umpires are far worse than young umpires.

“The top 10 performing umps averaged 2.7 years of experience. The bottom 10 averaged 20.6 years of experience.”

One solution—early retirement. Don’t know that tantrums will do any good.

https://www.bu.edu/articles/2019/mlb-um ... e-accuracy

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:22 pm

Happy as hell wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:07 pm
Here is an interesting analysis of how bad the umpires are at calling balls and strikes. Short answer: quite bad. And old umpires are far worse than young umpires.

“The top 10 performing umps averaged 2.7 years of experience. The bottom 10 averaged 20.6 years of experience.”

One solution—early retirement. Don’t know that tantrums will do any good.

https://www.bu.edu/articles/2019/mlb-um ... e-accuracy
Mandatory retirement age is a great idea for airline pilots, umpires and strippers.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:24 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:46 pm
If you're a player on a MLB team and you hear your manager come out and tell the umpire, "my guys in that dugout are a bunch of fucking savages" and "this pitcher might be good, but my guys are fkn savages and you're blowing it for my guys who are better than this pitcher."

vs.

"My name is Scott Servais... and I stand at the step of the dugout 99% of the game with my arms crossed looking like I ate bad shellfish the night before. Umpires laugh at me and don't take me seriously when I fake like I'm angry. I've let multiple blown calls go this year that have negatively impacted my team's ability to be competitive."

Acting like there's no chance these MLB players have a normal human response to unrelenting support is just stupid.

You don't think Marco wishes that Servais was out there dismantling that ump after he blew the called strike 3 the other day? It shouldn't be Marco's job to have to grill the umpire and then bring it up after the game. Servais should have been out there defending his guy both during and after the game so Marco didn't have to... it's his job to pitch... It's a managers job to make sure his guys aren't getting screwed.

^^^ I mean how do you think it looks to the rest of the players on the team that Servais wasn't out there defending Marco? It looks terrible.
No matter how you slice it that was a bad ass performance by Boone, especially the close with the three hand claps.
dt

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:26 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:15 pm
so what happens when you get your robot umpires and there are no more bad calls? If you love seeing a manager race out to argue a bad call, what happens when we eliminate them?
Our robot manager charges out of the dugout and knocks over the robot umpire. How entertaining... BattleBots in T-Mobile Park.
DMM

Moe Gibbs

Post by Moe Gibbs » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:09 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:46 pm

vs.

I'd like to see results of the study I just suggested. It's my understanding that the teams can submit to the league office video where they feel an Ump has screwed up. It could be that Servais and JD have decided to choose their battles wisely instead of flying off the handle during a time when these games don't count for much...? At any rate, Servais has already been ejected a few times this year...right...?

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:50 pm

Marco got saved by some terrible calls early in the game, which might factor in. He probably would have walked a couple guys in the first inning if not for favorable calls.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

Moe Gibbs

Post by Moe Gibbs » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:31 am

Millikin wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:50 pm
Marco got saved by some terrible calls early in the game, which might factor in. He probably would have walked a couple guys in the first inning if not for favorable calls.
Good point. There is always this aspect that people who are being honest and realistic must consider.