Grades for "Jerry's Kids" on the MLB roster

D-train

Re: Grades for "Jerry's Kids" on the MLB roster

Post by D-train » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:03 pm

Looks good. I was more focused on history and you sprinkled in some hope for the future so overall we agree.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:31 pm

seattlefan-daBronx wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:58 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:35 pm
Big Mike wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:39 am
That about covers it.
And don't forget they signed White to longer contract to not hit for what, the next 5 years? Not only does he suck, but we get to watch him suck for half a decade before they quietly release him.
Welcome to the forum/Mariner support group Big Mike!
That about sums it up. Another failed project so far. There are flashes of talent but nothing consistant yet.
We should do a round of "Why I am here" in the gamethreads like AA meetings. :D
HI. My name is John. I'm here because I have nothing better to do except possibly take a dump and wash my hair. Oh, and gouge my eyes out with knitting needles if I have to watch Montero "save" another game!

Petert

Post by Petert » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:18 am

D-train wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:16 pm
Imagine a Seattle reporter asking SS this.
Imagine this guy in a Seattle uniform. I can.

Petert

Post by Petert » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:47 am

Going through your original post:

Lewis - Injury prone guy that did manage to win the ROY but all due to a hot first month of a two month season. Appears to be an average big leaguer at best IF he can stay healthy. C

Petert: Would grade B. So early in his career, I'd opine you can't judge his potential on a couple of injuries so early. An 'above average' MLB player, IMO (especially considering the dreck that gets dragged out of independent ball to fill out certain rosters).

White - Complete Bust. Can't hit for shit but a is a great fielder at 1B yay F

Petert: Would grade D, not a 'F' (i.e. complete bust). He's young, he still has a development curve that he can undergo with appropriate coaching. He has a long uphill climb, admittedly. Nothing to hang your hat on at this point, but believe it or not, I'd give him another year, but only at AAA, before I throw him out or make him available to another team.

Gilbert - Maybe a 3 starter that has looked hittable but seems there is talent there.
Overall C-

Petert: Perhaps a C. So far. More or less agree, although today's game probably opened some eyes regarding his talent. Would upgrade to a B- on today alone.

Dunn - live arm but an inconsistent pussy C-

Petert: Solid C. Being a pussy has nothing to do with pure ability. And you can quote me on that. Look at Paul O'Neill.

France - I had high hopes but he sucks now too. C-

Petert: Way too early to tell. B-. Everybody slumps. EVERYBODY. This guy has the ability to come out of a slump, trash pitching, and carry a ballclub offensively. Professional hitter, great attitude, can be a heart-of-the-order player, although more or less strictly offensive. He can carry a glove at 1B, for what it's worth.

Everything else, I'd pretty much agree.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:33 am

D-train wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:23 am
There is still hope on the farm but this is an assessment of the MLB players that have made their debuts PRRSB after the (post rebuild reimagine step back) speech after the 2018 season.

The draft picks:
Lewis - Injury prone guy that did manage to win the ROY but all due to a hot first month of a two month season. Appears to be an average big leaguer at best IF he can stay healthy. C
No.
OPS+ 2018-2020 131, 126, 109 and a classic 10% walk rate and .200 ISO ability to play center, and 7/8 in stolen bases. That is not a barely passing grade.
White - Complete Bust. Can't hit for shit but a is a great fielder at 1B yay F
yep dumb as fk move
Gilbert - Maybe a 3 starter that has looked hittable but seems there is talent there. B
Overall C-
The MLB# 27 prospect from a pick # 14? 4.98 ERA and appears to be learning on the job? From what I see Gilbert is a good player. You sound like a tight-lipped scout who never gives any starter any higher than a "# 3 starter perhaps a bit higher if ceiling" I guess that guarantees not over-promising but not particularly brave.

The random rebuild trades:
Fraley - Nice player, not a star but possible a solid regular most likely a 4th OF B-
Up and down He has looked good this year after bombing in his early runs. Extremely SSS on both ends
Crawford - Nice player, not a star but possibly a solid regular B-
I know he has been hot lately but the GG defense and hot streak with the bat has him at a 5 WAR pace.
Shed Long - Good 2019 but now injury prone and sucks D
Overall C

The Pax trade:
Sheffield - I had high hopes after last season but he is looking like a 5 at best C-
He had a 119 ERA+ in 2020. He has some warts but has a high rating for a reason. I am not sure if Pax could not get higher value?
Swanson - pretty good bp arm but has contributed next to nothing due to injuries and inconsistency D+
He was always a fringe top 100 type Paxton was never Griffey- Randy Johnson return was he?
Overall - D+

The Cano trade
JK - 3rd worst start in history of baseball F (that is the current grade) I still have hope
He is a gym rat. I think he has a work ethic and eventually he breaks through. MLB.com has him as the #4 overall right now that is an A grade on the trade and the player. Grade A
Bautista - the classic: He throw baseball hard, he must be good; reliever who can't pitch so he actually sucks waste of time F
Dunn - live arm but an inconsistent pussy C-

Overall grade D
Grade A
The Padres Trade
Torrens - Sucks so bad he couldn't even keep his job over Godoy - D-
France - I had high hopes but he sucks now too. C-
NO!
TT - Classic high potential prospect that isn't an MLB player and probably never will be D
Overall D+

Oh, wow.

The Random pick ups
KK - Massive waste of money but is now pretty good C+
Murphy - good catcher but can't hit for shit D
He has been warming up.
Moore - pretty good when healthy but inconsistent C
I am really high on him B+
Graveman - Finally a guy that deserves and A
Overall C+

2021 off season pick ups
Montero no words F
Flexen - hit and miss C
Middleton - good start but now in AAA D
Overall D

The Rule Vs
Yohan Ramirez - put him in the Bautisa throw hard can't pitch but a little better D
Will Vest - good start but being on this team for over a month must be too much to bear. D
Overall D

Summary: C-, C, D+, D, D+, C+, D, D
Overall: D+

Time to pack your bags Jerry and take that POS manager with you.
Overall B+

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:14 am

Thanks guys. Good points. btw check out how many sub replacement position players we have. Beyond belief.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &sort=21,a
dt