Could the M's swing a trade w. Haniger to acquire a young, controlled MLB piece?

IStillLoveTheMs

Could the M's swing a trade w. Haniger to acquire a young, controlled MLB piece?

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:44 am

A trade idea I was thinking of:

The Mets are an ideal trade partner to acquire Haniger... but we're really not in need of prospects who are years out... the top prospects in their org are all in A ball and would be better suited going to a team that is just starting rebuilding. Their farm system isn't the greatest (have very little depth) which means they likely can't lure a big-time, impact player from an organization w.o trading the moon, so it could be helpful for them to team up for a 3-team trade... here's my thought:

Mets acquire: OF Mitch Haniger (M's), RP Kendall Graveman (M's)

Mariners acquire: OF Ketel Marte (Dbacks), RP Ryley Gilliam (Mets)

Diamondbacks acquire: OF Zach Deloach (M's), SP Brandon Williamson (M's), 3B Brett Baty (Mets)

The Mets get a corner OF they desperately need in Haniger (who also has one more year of control) and add Graveman on to what is a dominant bullpen they hope carries them to a title. Brett Baty (no. 4 in the Mets org and 94 overall) is likely enough compensation for Haniger and Graveman on his own, but the M's don't need a 3B who is currently only in A ball if they plan on contending sooner rather than later. Baty instead goes to a team like the Diamondbacks who should be headed to full rebuild mode and need a young core to build on. The Diamondbacks send Ketel Marte (who doesn't fit their current window) to the Mariners who can utilize him in the IF or OF, basically anywhere... he's 27, in his prime, and looks like a guy who they can slot day one at lead off who is going to hit .330/.380/.500. He's also on a modest contract that the M's can easily afford and is controlled through 2024. To sweeten the prospect pot for the Diamondbacks, they acquire the M's 9th overall and rising pitching pitching prospect Brandon Williamson (he could fly up the rankings in the coming years) and the M's 12th overall prospect OF Zach Deloach... totaling a quality haul they might expect for Marte. To finish the deal, the Mets send their no. 16 overall prospect and current AA relief pitcher, Ryley Gilliam to the M's. Gilliam has an electric arm and dominated the minors until getting absolutely shelled as he reached AAA. He's struggled w. fastball command but the M's seem like they've found some success w. improving relievers and he's a project they ask for as a thrown in of sorts.

Pharmabro

Re: Could the M's swing a trade w. Haniger to acquire a young, controlled MLB piece?

Post by Pharmabro » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:59 am

I don't know why you would want to do this.
1. Both Haniger and Marte are FA's in 2023.
2. You are giving up 3 other valuable quality pieces for a trash prospect reliever 5'10" 9 ERA 2021 and a 5.61 ERA in the minors
2B Zach Deloach a 2nd rounder # 12
2C Williamson another 2nd Rd pick is the #9
2D Gravemann is listed as the #9 or ten in top 40 players likely to move and Haniger was the #2.

I consider Haniger and Marte to be a "push". Those 2 straight across doesn't accomplish anything.
Again, Gilliam is not a good prospect. He is only ranked as high as he is because that system sucks. He has a 40 grade Williamson has a 50, Deloach a 45.

I really hope you were assuming either Haniger had just this year remaining or Marte had more. If not I am really confused about your motivations.

Pharmabro

Re: Could the M's swing a trade w. Haniger to acquire a young, controlled MLB piece?

Post by Pharmabro » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:18 am

Mets win that trade.
DBacks get a top 100, and 2 2nd Rnd picks 2 picks in the top 12 of a strong farm and have just started their MiLN development.
M's lose big.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:54 am

Pharmabro wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:59 am
I don't know why you would want to do this.
1. Both Haniger and Marte are FA's in 2023.
2. You are giving up 3 other valuable quality pieces for a trash prospect reliever 5'10" 9 ERA 2021 and a 5.61 ERA in the minors
2B Zach Deloach a 2nd rounder # 12
2C Williamson another 2nd Rd pick is the #9
2D Gravemann is listed as the #9 or ten in top 40 players likely to move and Haniger was the #2.

I consider Haniger and Marte to be a "push". Those 2 straight across doesn't accomplish anything.
Again, Gilliam is not a good prospect. He is only ranked as high as he is because that system sucks. He has a 40 grade Williamson has a 50, Deloach a 45.

I really hope you were assuming either Haniger had just this year remaining or Marte had more. If not I am really confused about your motivations.
Wow, yeah I assumed Marte had multiple years left but he doesn't. Basically giving up Graveman to to swap Mitch and Marte. Agree that Mets reliever is worthless.
dt

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:01 am

Hm, My bad and apologies @ thread starter "IstilllovetheM's" Baseballref has Ketel as a 2023 free agent and I found Marte signed a contract that would pay him
8M in 2022
10M in 2023
and 12M in 2024
I figured something was missing when I was using:
https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/tra ... el%20Marte

I used them for coming up with some sort of evaluation of trade values.

So new information means Metz say yes, M's say yes, DBacks roll their eyes.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:25 am

According to trade values site medium value for
M's 35.6 lost value
Haniger 23
Williamson 6
Deloach 4.5
Graveman 2.1
I think they are all a bit low but it is what it is.

DBacks (74.1 lost value
Ketel Marte 74.1

Metz (18.6 lost value)
B Baty 18
Gilliam 0.6

If you are wondering BVlue chippers are highly valued Julio Rodriguez was valued at 66,]
Kelenic 72.5
Gilbert 36.7
Kirby 17
Wander Franco 124.8

Things to consider

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:30 am

In that case yeah the D Back Fan base would lose it. I like Zach when we drafted him but a 23yo with a sub 800 OPS in A ball won't move the needle and Williamson is still SSS albeit lights out so far.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:01 pm

I think it more likely we end up trading Fraley if he continues to play as he has this past month. Good average, has some pop in his bat, and a great eye at the plate. You don't get the same power as Haniger, but he's younger, more resilient, and has the makings of a really good #2 hitter in the lineup.

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:35 pm

ddraig wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:01 pm
I think it more likely we end up trading Fraley if he continues to play as he has this past month. Good average, has some pop in his bat, and a great eye at the plate. You don't get the same power as Haniger, but he's younger, more resilient, and has the makings of a really good #2 hitter in the lineup
Fraley has more controlled years left then HannY which means Hanny should go of the two. Especially if you are going to value as a #2 hitter.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:55 pm

ddraig wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:01 pm
I think it more likely we end up trading Fraley if he continues to play as he has this past month. Good average, has some pop in his bat, and a great eye at the plate. You don't get the same power as Haniger, but he's younger, more resilient, and has the makings of a really good #2 hitter in the lineup.
No chance. Everything you mentioned are the reasons to KEEP him.
dt