Court is in session game thread

Juliooooo

Re: Court is in session game thread

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:10 pm

Maybe Beckham should just stick in the outfield. He's better at turning 2 from LF than he is from SS or 2B.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:16 pm

Players and coaches don't try to lose for draft position. It's contrary to human nature, and even more contrary to a pro athlete's mentality. Even if they all hated the team and all their teammates, there's too much at stake (professionally and for their own pride) to not play as well as they can.

Mainly only armchair-GM-type fans actually think this way. And possibly an actual GM or owner might try to arrange a losing season, but I'm not sure how often this really happens.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:21 pm

Every opportunity Beckham makes them look like idiots for ever having him on the bench.

A bat good enough to play corner outfield, a glove that's just fine at 2B. Positional scarcity says his best opportunity to produce WAR is at 2B.

We'll see what some contender does with him. I hope they turn one of our guys into Jesus Aguilar. Beckham has created more trade value in a week of steady playing time than Gordon did all season.

If they got a 1B for Leake and a 3B for Narvaez, then where are our holes? I'd be content with a Murphy/Nola catching duo.

You add 2 SP's in free agency or trade and contend in 2020 with all of the prospects having to force their way onto the MLB roster. Why wait for 2021..

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:41 pm

AT Fresno wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:08 pm
IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:28 pm
Fuck losing for draft positions.That's a loser's mentality. Draft well and develop your draft picks. A culture of losing doesn't change with a no. 1 2 or 3 pick... it changes when a team decides it's ready to change.

Oh... Tim Beckham and Austin Nola btw.

Man... Nola is trying really hard to win this 1B spot next year.
Bullshit... the right number one pick can change your franchise for a couple decades...
The M's aren't going to get the no. 1 pick... it's just not happening. So why try to lose? Dustin Ackley (2nd), Danny Hultzen (2nd), Jeff Clement (3rd), Mike Zunino (3rd)... didn't seem to impact our ability to win in any form.

The M's simply need to draft the RIGHT player wherever they pick.

2011 draft: M's drafted Danny Hultzen w/ the no. 2 pick... Bauer went 3rd, Rendon went 6th, Lindor went 8th, Javi Baez went 9th, Springer went 11th, Jose Fernandez (RIP) went 14th, Sonny Gray 18th... the M's drafted a total bust and had their pick at, at least 7, maybe more, all stars in the first round. Don't you think any one of these guys would have helped turn this thing around if they didn't pick Hultzen?

Go look at the drafts where the M's picked these total fuck ups and u'll see many impact players drafted 4-30 of the draft that the M's blew. You just gotta pick the right guy and not fuck up selecting the DJ Petersons of the world.

The M's picked DJ Peterson and have JP Crawford and Marco Gonzales on their team... Aaron Judge went 32 overall in the same 1st round of that draft as all 3 of these guys. Guess what... the M's didn't make a good selection and neither did 30 picks in front of the Yankees with MAYBE the exception of the Cubs and Kris Bryant.

Actually I'm going to break this down further in another post.

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:54 pm

Mike Trout was picked what??? 25th? We just need to pick smart, not early. Man I have great hindsight. I used to play as a professional QB... all my games were on Monday morning.
DMM

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:06 am

Double Mocha Man wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:54 pm
Mike Trout was picked what??? 25th? We just need to pick smart, not early. Man I have great hindsight. I used to play as a professional QB... all my games were on Monday morning.
At the end of the day it's a crap shoot. There are multiple no. 1 overall selections who haven't done shit. There are multiple no. 1's who have done shit. Same goes for every pick in the first round.

The M's just need to stop fucking up who they pick wherever we draft. You can get an AllStar at any spot in the first round. Hell... the Yankees drafted Aaron Judge 32nd in 2015.

The M's are where they are because not a single first round pick has worked out since they won 116 games in 2001.

2001: Michael Garciaparra
2002: John Mayberry
2003: NO PICK
2004: NO PICK
2005: Jeff Clement
2006: Brandon Morrow
2007: Phillipe Aumont
2008: Josh Fields
2009: Dustin Ackley, Nick Franklin
2010: NO PICK
2011: Danny Hultzen
2012: Mike Zunino
2013: DJ Peterson
2014: Alex Jackson
2015: NO PICK

I'll stop it there cause I don't think it's fair to the prospects from 2016 to 2018 since they haven't gotten close yet.

I mean guys... look at that list. These picks ranged from 2-30. There were many, quality players selected around these guys and the M's just totally face planted. It takes a whole nother level of ineptitude to draft for 15 years and not have a single 1st round selection make a real impact. The best player for the M's on this list was Brandon fucking Morrow... how sick is that?

The M's don't need the no. 2 or 3 pick. They just need to not totally fucking fail on an epic level.

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:33 am

Let John Schneider and Pete Carroll draft for us. Bet they wouldn't do any worse... and they might pick some sleepers...
DMM

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:35 am

Double Mocha Man wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:33 am
Let John Schneider and Pete Carroll draft for us. Bet they wouldn't do any worse... and they might pick some sleepers...
They actually couldn't.

You could take every name drafted after a M's pick in the first round. Put them all in a hat... select a name... And the M's would have probably ended up with 2-3 AllStars instead of 0.

You could literally have done that.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:41 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:10 pm
Maybe Beckham should just stick in the outfield. He's better at turning 2 from LF than he is from SS or 2B.
:roll:

He'll probably be playing a contender into the playoffs at 2B starting next week

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:47 am

bpj wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:41 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:10 pm
:roll:

He'll probably be playing a contender into the playoffs at 2B starting next week
Tim has been a pretty big factor in whether we win or not. In 30 games where we've won when he's played he's had a .971 OPS... .621 in losses... and that winning OPS only went up after today.