Lookout Landing on the trade deadline

IStillLoveTheMs

Re: Lookout Landing on the trade deadline

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:14 pm

AT Fresno wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:03 pm
I didn't like the Cano contract, nor the Ichiro contract for that matter.... both too long

The only reason I might pay any position player 200 million is if I can cripple a team in my own division while strengthening my own team...and that would probably also be a high school position player nearing the end of his club control... somebody likely 25 or under.Otherwise, I have a cap on 5-6 year contracts.
Yeah well... while paying big contracts to players doesn't guarantee you success... but it sure seems to put you a lot closer.

Houston, Boston, NYM, LAD, San Diego all seem to be doing OK. St. Louis, NYY, Washington all could be doing better but have a recent history of a ton of success. LAA is really the only true example of a team who has given loads of players bad contracts and the team has failed as a result.

You just have to do it at the correct times and make sure it doesn't sacrifice your ability to add other assets in areas of need. The M's look like they could have a pitching staff of 3-4 dominant players that we won't need to pay for 6 or 7 years. That gives them a lot of flexibility to add some bulky position player contracts until that time.

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:24 pm

bpj wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:33 pm
IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:13 pm
desbcoach wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:09 pm

Bryant will be 30, this will be his last contract most likely. Wouldn’t we expect he is going to want a 6-7yr contract for 140-150m??? Be interesting if him or Story would be better over that time with Story be slightly younger
More like 7 years $200 million.

And he doesn't have the insane home/road splits that Story has.
If that's the case we're more likely to see France at 3B, Moore at 2B and White at 1B.

Bryant is a 5/125 max in my book or I'm walking too.

This year is more proof they don't need to spend yuge to win.

We would be winning with 3 additional players right now and didn't have to spend more than $30M to make it happen (Cruz/Walker/Musgrove, among many others that would have been good additions).

They're not going to have to leverage the future for old guys like Bryant and if they're looking for 7/200 they're nuts and should walk anyways.
That was the point of my post, cost of Bryant and term more then I want, I don’t see Ms sitting on dead money last 3-4 years and fielding more money around him

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:28 pm

AT Fresno wrote:
I didn't like the Cano contract, nor the Ichiro contract for that matter.... both too long

The only reason I might pay any position player 200 million is if I can cripple a team in my own division while strengthening my own team...and that would probably also be a high school position player nearing the end of his club control... somebody likely 25 or under.Otherwise, I have a cap on 5-6 year contracts.
I like how you think, I am there with you on long term contracts. For every one that works out 7 fail

TraderGary

Post by TraderGary » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:43 pm

desbcoach wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:28 pm
AT Fresno wrote:

I like how you think, I am there with you on long term contracts. For every one that works out 7 fail
Yeah I agree. We were very lucky to have found a GM dumb enough to assume Cano's contract. Do we really want to go down that road again? Not me.

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:50 pm

Everybody is entitled to their opinions and strategies.... but results are results. The Yankees are sick about their contract with Giancarlo. And the Mets are thrilled about signing Taijuan Walker, and escaping the Trevor Bauer deal (although they offered more money than the Dodgers for him). They may grow to regret the Lindor deal. Boston was in no way gonna pony up $300 million for Betts. Now Chicago may be trying to avoid a big contract with Bryant.... Even the big market teams are growing weary of mega deals. The Angels have $360 set aside for Mike Trout and haven't sniffed a championship. I say the Giants and the Red Sox have been the most successful over the past two decades. .... It's not gonna take brains to pay Trevor Story 200 million. It's stupid, IMO. The Yankees may be spending money to weaken their division if the opportunity presents itself with Franco or Guerrero Jr. in due time, but they have an extra 200 million a year with 20 million subscribers on their cable network. Miguel Cabrerra has become an albatross for Detroit.
Colorado was lucky to find a sucker for the Arenado contract and it hasn't helped St. Louis at all. Votto is a great player but he hasn't brought the Reds a sniff. And finally, I think the Yankees got a lot more out of Jeter's $189 million than the $250 million for Arod. I think we are better off to use lesser contracts with B+ people like the Giants, Milwaukee, Toronto, or Tampa Bay. Keep developing, keep somewhat liquid, and pounce.... There's enough good players to go around for us to compete, and field a perennial winning team, imo.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:55 pm

Trade Haniger and Sheffield to the Dodgers. They get an OFer who might be no better than a number 4 for them, or perhaps he's better than one they already have. Sweeten the pot with a young, cost controlled pitcher who has struggled this year but has loads of potential in Sheffield. In exchange, we get one of the two 3B prospects that are blocked in the Dodgers' farm system and maybe a AA pitcher with potential. Sure we may be giving away more than we want to, but Haniger is what he is. A slightly better than average, 30 year old OFer. And I think Sheffield may have burned his bridges here but he does have potential.

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:45 pm

ddraig wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:55 pm
Trade Haniger and Sheffield to the Dodgers. They get an OFer who might be no better than a number 4 for them, or perhaps he's better than one they already have. Sweeten the pot with a young, cost controlled pitcher who has struggled this year but has loads of potential in Sheffield. In exchange, we get one of the two 3B prospects that are blocked in the Dodgers' farm system and maybe a AA pitcher with potential. Sure we may be giving away more than we want to, but Haniger is what he is. A slightly better than average, 30 year old OFer. And I think Sheffield may have burned his bridges here but he does have potential.
Meh.

I'd offer the Mets Haniger + a lower tier prospect for Brett Baty.

Don't need any of the Dodgers throw aways. Their highest ranked 3B prospect currently has a .465 OPS in AA.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:58 pm

Trade to the Indians for Nolan Jones. Throw in Juan Then and a lower prospect if needed. They don't have any healthy OF, and don't really have much as per OF prospects. Now Indians probably aren't ready to go for it, but they have Jose Ramirez under contract for the next 2 years on club options.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:21 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:58 pm
Trade to the Indians for Nolan Jones. Throw in Juan Then and a lower prospect if needed. They don't have any healthy OF, and don't really have much as per OF prospects. Now Indians probably aren't ready to go for it, but they have Jose Ramirez under contract for the next 2 years on club options.
The Indians are 43-42 and 5-14 in their last 19. Doubt they're figuring on contending going forward much less trading top prospects for 1 year rentals.

They'd honestly be better off trading Beiber and Ramirez for massive prospect hauls and doing another full rebuild.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:26 am

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:45 pm
ddraig wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:55 pm
Meh.

I'd offer the Mets Haniger + a lower tier prospect for Brett Baty.

Don't need any of the Dodgers throw aways. Their highest ranked 3B prospect currently has a .465 OPS in AA.
Even better! Maybe they will take Sheffield for one of their prospects at 3B. After all, we have what, a half a dozen 3B prospects just waiting down on the farm. :roll: :roll: :roll: