Official MLB Draft Day thread

rockycola

Re: Official MLB Draft Day thread

Post by rockycola » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:35 pm

EdwinArroyo.JPG
EdwinArroyo.JPG (53.23 KiB) Viewed 619 times
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:41 pm

Vogelbomb wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:33 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:59 pm
Again, praying this kid has a lifetime 300+ career BA but I don't get focusing on athleticism as the lead tool for a 1st round pick.

Who was more athletic, Tony Gwynn or Michael Jordan. Who was the better baseball player?

Who was more athletic, Bo Jackson or John Olerud? Who was the better baseball player?

Baseball is a unique sport that requires a unique specialized skill involving mind bending hand eye coordination and the #1 focus should be can he hit not how many positions can he play or how fast can he run.
Bro, you're just picking guys that fit your narrative. I can do that too. Who was the better baseball player, Dustin Ackley or Trea Turner?
How did Ackley and Turner hit against high school pitching? I'd guess both were better than .293 against pimple faced teenagers.

Sounds like Dipoto liked him based on a hitting cage session. He asked them if they'd like him to further display his talents and they were like, "Nah, we're done here," with no concern that it didn't translate to in-game success. Sounds very Mariners.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:50 pm

You don't really get refined hitting ability out of High School picks other than the very top guys just because the level of comp isn't there. So you draft for tools and hope they develop. Ford has great bat speed though and we should get some sense of his ability to make contact when he gets to the complex. Same with Arroyo.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:56 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:50 pm
You don't really get refined hitting ability out of High School picks other than the very top guys just because the level of comp isn't there. So you draft for tools and hope they develop. Ford has great bat speed though and we should get some sense of his ability to make contact when he gets to the complex. Same with Arroyo.
Yeah I get that to an extent but then I look at this and am left wanting. Did Ford face that much better pitching than House and Watson???

House
https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/brady- ... /stats.htm

Watson
https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/kahlil ... /stats.htm
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:57 pm

bpj wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:41 pm
Vogelbomb wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:33 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:59 pm
Again, praying this kid has a lifetime 300+ career BA but I don't get focusing on athleticism as the lead tool for a 1st round pick.

Who was more athletic, Tony Gwynn or Michael Jordan. Who was the better baseball player?

Who was more athletic, Bo Jackson or John Olerud? Who was the better baseball player?

Baseball is a unique sport that requires a unique specialized skill involving mind bending hand eye coordination and the #1 focus should be can he hit not how many positions can he play or how fast can he run.
Bro, you're just picking guys that fit your narrative. I can do that too. Who was the better baseball player, Dustin Ackley or Trea Turner?
How did Ackley and Turner hit against high school pitching? I'd guess both were better than .293 against pimple faced teenagers.

Sounds like Dipoto liked him based on a hitting cage session. He asked them if they'd like him to further display his talents and they were like, "Nah, we're done here," with no concern that it didn't translate to in-game success. Sounds very Mariners.
Turner had a .342 BA in college. That seems more impressive than .343 in HS, call me crazy.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:02 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:56 pm

Yeah I get that to an extent but then I look at this and am left wanting. Did Ford face that much better pitching than House and Watson???
Don't know but probably this is why his bat wasn't talked about as much as his overall athletic profile.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:09 pm

People are getting very excited about all these non baseball accomplishments.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:10 pm

dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:31 pm

Michael Morales, a high school arm, in rd. 3. Projectable arm. Vanderbilt commit so I wonder if he'll sign. I'm tuning out now since we're getting into these obscure names. I'll check back later.

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:32 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:09 pm
People are getting very excited about all these non baseball accomplishments.
Yah.
I used to be able to dunk a basketball if I could take a run without dribbling or have anybody guard me.

Once upon a time I could punt a football higher and further than anybody else in my class, but nobody hiked me the ball, there was no rush. I could take my time................this made me a legend in my own mind.

I could throw a baseball on a line from centerfield to the catcher, right into his mitt or one hop. But ya shoulda seen me when a game was on the line..........stumbling to the ground trying to track a high fly ball, or playing 2nd base, running back on a pop-fly, screaming, "I got it! I got it" while running into and knocking over the centerfielder (who was still in centerfield). I don't got it :(

Bottomline, I am impressed with Harry Ford's athletic prowess and I hope he is great, great, great! But the Mariners have drafted too many Fords only to have them turn into Edsels.

Of the 30-odd 2021 1st rounders, how many will get past A-ball, AA or AAA? Are there any future MLB All-Stars?

Good Luck, Harry Ford.
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!