Re: Draft pick strategy

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:47 am

bpj wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:47 am
desbcoach wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:39 am
bpj wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:28 am
I was happy to see this strategy also Terry! It's easy to nitpick any pick, but if this guy turns out close to Russell Martin it's probably a nice pick regardless of who else was available.

None of the picks right behind Ford sound any more exciting than Ford does to me.

The next two picks were high ceiling high schoolers. With the pipeline they have in the minors right now it's definitely the right direction for awhile.

One thing I'm not sure about is if the draft had any impact on Dipotos future. None of them would have contributed this year before his contract is up so he was probably pretty safe to do whatever he wanted in the draft, unless he happened to be fired first.

The way the team is performing it's probably a given that he gets at least a one or two year extension without considering the draft unless they tank the rest of the way. Do you guys feel otherwise? I could be misreading our current landscape.

I think they'll even get better from here on now that the cream has risen to the top.
I think he felt confident about his job or would not have gone that direction.
He's got to be feeling pretty confident given where the team is at.

Someone who looks at a person's motivations could view it from another angle where if he drafted college players it would seem like he's not as confident in his rebuild as it sits. 🤔
Extension is in hand. Expected it to be announced fairly soon.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:49 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:45 am
I like this draft strategy this year, but I don't think it's one they should do every year. Statistically, in any given draft year, most of the players drafted, even in the first round, don't have significant major league careers. And of the ones that do, most of those are drafted out of college. It's just a fact. But I think teams should roll the dice every now and then when they feel strongly about a high school player, because a few of them do develop into stars.

My type of draft strategy would lean heavily on college players with a sprinkling of HS position players here and there in the first 3 rounds and maybe the occasional HS arm farther down. Beyond that, there's no real point to it. You're not going to find some hidden gem that the rest of the baseball world doesn't know about. Every team knows who these guys are and with the bonus pool limits, you can't pop a guy in the seventh and give him second round money anymore. And by the way, even when you could do that, most of those guys didn't develop. Take a look on B-Ref at some of the previous drafts and you'll see what I mean. It's brutal.

Harry Ford is basically raw, athletic clay. He has great bat speed but his swing is dogshit. The gamble is that they can get him in a professional setting and fix him mechanically, turn him into a professional hitter. We'll see how it goes. He's a lottery ticket, basically.
Great post Gabe and not just because I agree. That was worth my $50 right there! :)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:50 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:45 am
I like this draft strategy this year, but I don't think it's one they should do every year. Statistically, in any given draft year, most of the players drafted, even in the first round, don't have significant major league careers. And of the ones that do, most of those are drafted out of college. It's just a fact. But I think teams should roll the dice every now and then when they feel strongly about a high school player, because a few of them do develop into stars.

My type of draft strategy would lean heavily on college players with a sprinkling of HS position players here and there in the first 3 rounds and maybe the occasional HS arm farther down. Beyond that, there's no real point to it. You're not going to find some hidden gem that the rest of the baseball world doesn't know about. Every team knows who these guys are and with the bonus pool limits, you can't pop a guy in the seventh and give him second round money anymore. And by the way, even when you could do that, most of those guys didn't develop. Take a look on B-Ref at some of the previous drafts and you'll see what I mean. It's brutal.

Harry Ford is basically raw, athletic clay. He has great bat speed but his swing is dogshit. The gamble is that they can get him in a professional setting and fix him mechanically, turn him into a professional hitter. We'll see how it goes. He's a lottery ticket, basically.
I have to ask what made you pick him to us in the contest? I had heard his name floated an Hunter hinting they "might" go HS but I was pretty surprised they did.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:59 am

Ok, I have said my piece on the topic and will now give the kid a chance to prove me wrong.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:32 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:50 am
I have to ask what made you pick him to us in the contest? I had heard his name floated an Hunter hinting they "might" go HS but I was pretty surprised they did.
I took that quote from Hunter as meaning they were leaning heavily towards a High School player, and I knew from something Joe Doyle said on the LL podcast that they weren't really on Benny Montgomery, but that Ford was definitely on their board. And I didn't think they would be seriously targeting any of the consensus top HS shortstops because there was very little chance those players would drop to them.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:41 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:32 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:50 am
I took that quote from Hunter as meaning they were leaning heavily towards a High School player, and I knew from something Joe Doyle said on the LL podcast that they weren't really on Benny Montgomery, but that Ford was definitely on their board. And I didn't think they would be seriously targeting any of the consensus top HS shortstops because there was very little chance those players would drop to them.
Genius! Well done brother.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:44 am

dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:25 pm

There was a guest on KJR yesterday (don't know who) who said it was unlikely Watkins would have signed with the Mariners because he wanted to remain closer to home. I don't know why other teams passed on him though.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:29 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:25 pm
There was a guest on KJR yesterday (don't know who) who said it was unlikely Watkins would have signed with the Mariners because he wanted to remain closer to home. I don't know why other teams passed on him though.
So he would have passed on $4.4M to go sit in class and write English Lit essays at NC state. :lol: Yeah right.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:34 pm

Who knows but if the Mariners couldn't sign him they wouldn't have received any compensation for the lost draft pick so the threat was probably enough.