Playoff chances

ddraig

Re: Playoff chances

Post by ddraig » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:18 pm

Many are still kids. The only experience I can think of that may be similar is if you are in a play and haven't been on stage in a while. It helps to have people around who have been there before.

The spotlight is on far more intently than anything in the minors or the regular season at the MLB level. Some can handle the pressure without help, others need the support. Trust me, there is a difference! And it helps to have some around who can relate what to expect.
Last edited by ddraig on Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:21 pm

Kids?...my point was they been under pressure their entire careers. That is the weeding out process. You don't make it to the MLs without dealing with pressure

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:23 pm

So you were fully into your manhood at the age of 23? Give me a break! Walked up to every woman you met, full of confidence? Had no problem interviewing for a job or walking in on day one to a new job without butterflies? m If so, Donn, you are one exceptional human being and we needed more of you on the beach on D-Day!

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:29 pm

They are there because they are winners, they have been winning since they first handled a bat, doubt there are many MLers no matter their age that lack self confidence. If they did they wouldn't be in the MLs.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:34 pm

But they are still kids faced with a spotlight so intense they have never experienced before. They are not all He-Men like you Donn.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:29 pm

ddraig wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:38 pm
bpj wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:35 am
I agree for the most part. One thing I don't think you can replace though is the playoff experience where their lives are on the line and its in their hands.

Win or lose, I want them to experience that so they have the feeling of the playoffs in their memories going forward. Something they would fight harder for in the late August, September months and maybe reach a little deeper to try and win going forward, in my opinion.

Maybe I'm overvaluing the experience of success, but I want these guys to strive to win like it seems other good teams do. No more going through the motions.
How many current players have any playoff experience? That would probably be the ONLY reason I'd like to get in the playoffs this year. Other than that, I'm looking forward to next year if we can plug three holes. Give me Cruz next season and a "better than Seager", cost controlled 3B, plus an experienced, TOR pitcher through free agency, and I'm good. Even if some of the guys we have this year have similar offensive stats to this year. A lineup that has Crawford, Fraley, Haniger, Cruz, new 3B, France, Torrens/Raleigh, Lewis, and Moore, I could live with!

Similar bullpen as we keep the guys we have and add bodies to replace Montero and Vest. Then a five-man-rotation after the All Star Break with our new TOR, Gilbert, Kikuchi, Flexen, and Gonzalez, sounds pretty good. Keep the six-man-rotation prior to the All Star Break to keep guys fresh and audition the kids. It's starting to come together.
Next year should be awesome. The thought of adding 3 players at the top of this roster is pretty exciting because they're not exactly playing horribly now.

Being protective of the minor league system has to still be priority, but at this point they really are building up some depth to trade from so could probably make some interesting moves at the deadline. Good time to be a Mariners fan!

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:37 pm

I totally agree. But what must also be understood is that prospects are not strictly to be used to funnel talent into the big club. Example: If Seattle had the top 30 prospects in MLB, how many of those would make the roster and how many would be blocked either by an existing player or someone else playing their same position? Thus part of the reason to have a good to great farm system is to facilitate trades for specific needs. Hoarding prospects just to say we have a great farm system, doesn't do the team any favors, but using those prospects wisely does.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:58 pm

I found it odd that they said the reason they could take risks on high school players is because they've built a great farm system. Like that is the end all be all and they've reached their goal. WTF?

I count exactly Two prospects that have had success.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:47 pm

I think some of these players in our minor league system probably exist for the purpose of being traded. Zach Deloach is at the top of the list for me. I think they'll send him to AA in the next couple of weeks and if he does well there, he'll be on everyone's top 100 list in the offseason, maybe top 50. At that point, with Kelenic and Julio ahead of him, and guys like Haniger, Fraley, Shed, and Trammell already competing for time, I could see Deloach sort of being the designated trade chip. But I could be wrong about that. The org might be falling in love with his hitting and want to keep him.

There are other guys though, like Shenton and Polcovich, that have at least shown the ability to hit against professional pitching. Part of me would like to keep them and see what they can do at higher levels, but I suspect they are destined for other organizations. I think Trader Jerry will be getting his groove on this offseason (for better or worse) and those guys will find themselves with new homes.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:14 pm

ddraig wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:37 pm
I totally agree. But what must also be understood is that prospects are not strictly to be used to funnel talent into the big club. Example: If Seattle had the top 30 prospects in MLB, how many of those would make the roster and how many would be blocked either by an existing player or someone else playing their same position? Thus part of the reason to have a good to great farm system is to facilitate trades for specific needs. Hoarding prospects just to say we have a great farm system, doesn't do the team any favors, but using those prospects wisely does.
Yeah definitely. They can afford to trade from their depth. Even if it hurts, if it's for the right player it could work for everyone.