The Great Canadian Road Trip part II

DavidGee24

Re: The Great Canadian Road Trip part II

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:00 pm

Mariners win! We're HEROES!!!

Man, Magill's fastball was untouchable. Mariner bullpen holds the Jays to three runs in nine innings. That's gotta be embarrassing for them, and Argonautbydynasty must be going apes*** in the Blue Jay Forum.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:01 pm

Oso Dorado wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:58 pm
Magill strikes out the side, and the Mariners win. We're heroes everywhere but in Terry's house.

I'll be back tomorrow.
Yeah, come on Terry, the only time we ever should have rooted for a Mariners loss was when Strasberg was at stake.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:03 pm

Fastball barely touches the low outside corner. Didn't see enough of the game to know if that was always a strike, but way too close to take in that situation.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:05 pm

Oso Dorado wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:32 pm
Seager now with the most home runs by a Mariners infielder, giving the M's a lead that they'll have to relinquish for Terry's peace of mind.
There is no peace for the mind of a Mariner fan.... only brutal frustration continually.... Servais is like Riggleman.... Riggleman was a mole for the Nationals.... he swept the A's to give the Nats Strausburg and the M's Ackley.... Wonder what we'll get this year...

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:09 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:34 pm
Mariners aren't going to get to 3rd. They are between 5 and 7 most likely.
Now there's a bold prediction. :roll:

Here's another one: the Mariners aren't going to make the play-offs.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:21 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:09 pm
Juliooooo wrote:

Then why did you mention #3 in your post? Smart guy :roll:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:25 pm

I do. The difference between your chance at success drafting at #3 vs #6 is small but more meaningful than the difference between losing 100 games vs 92 games.
I still see people posting that they hope the Ms get the #3 pick, and your post seemed to imply that was still a possibility.
Last edited by Juliooooo on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:27 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:21 pm
Juliooooo wrote:

I do. The difference between your chance at success drafting at #3 vs #6 is small but more meaningful than the difference between losing 100 games vs 92 games.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:28 pm

Hanjag wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:27 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:21 pm

Dynamite drop in Hanjag ;)

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:37 pm

I did a little write up a while back about draft classes. Some years you get the "suck for Luck" tankathon sweepstake prize. Think Griffey, ARod, Strausberg, etc. Some times there is a grouping of 3 or 4 prospects that rank a notch above the rest. I looked at several years where there were 2 60 point prospects at the top and from #3 to #19 there were 55 overall grade prospects. I get that drafting #1 or as close to it can be key. For example the M;s wanted Kelenic but Mets drafted him first. Having an epic collapse probably hurts the team long term more than it helps them. I would view JP, Nola, VBach, Seager, Haniger, Mallex, Domingo, Marco, Kikuchi, BP guys, and prospects called up performing well and establishing value in future performance or trade chips as paramount vs holding #5 vs #6.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:43 pm

Hanjag wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:37 pm
I did a little write up a while back about draft classes. Some years you get the "suck for Luck" tankathon sweepstake prize. Think Griffey, ARod, Strausberg, etc. Some times there is a grouping of 3 or 4 prospects that rank a notch above the rest. I looked at several years where there were 2 60 point prospects at the top and from #3 to #19 there were 55 overall grade prospects. I get that drafting #1 or as close to it can be key. For example the M;s wanted Kelenic but Mets drafted him first. Having an epic collapse probably hurts the team long term more than it helps them. I would view JP, Nola, VBach, Seager, Haniger, Mallex, Domingo, Marco, Kikuchi, BP guys, and prospects called up performing well and establishing value in future performance or trade chips as paramount vs holding #5 vs #6.
Gotcha, I agree, drafting 5 vs 7 probably won't make much difference. If they love a guy, they can offer him over slot money so he hopefully falls to them. You always want as many options as possible though.

I think the bigger deal is being top 10, then they can sign a FA with a QO and not lose their first round pick. They are safely there.