Baseball America's Mariners Top Ten Prospects

GL_Storm

Baseball America's Mariners Top Ten Prospects

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:16 pm

It just came out today. Most of you will know these names, though some of the rankings have shifted a bit.

1) Julio Rodriguez, OF
2) George Kirby, RHP
3) Noelvi Marte, SS
4) Matt Brash, RHP
5) Brandon Williamson, LHP
6) Emerson Hancock, RHP
7) Harry Ford, C
8) Levi Stoudt, RHP
9) Adam Macko, LHP
10) Gabriel Gonzalez, OF

Baseball America, like everyone else, maintains a top 30 for every org, but that full list doesn't come out until later in the offseason when they release their Prospect Handbook annual. March, I think, is when it comes out.

D-train

Re: Baseball America's Mariners Top Ten Prospects

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:51 pm

Gonzales is an interesting addition. Turned the ripe ole age of 18 last week so he is about 2 years older than my dog, Arthur.

Really nice start to his pro career:

https://www.milb.com/player/gabriel-gonzalez-694224
dt

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:11 pm

Kirby, Williams, and Brash have all moved up ahead of Hancock. All three will move ahead of Marte this year. Alberto should be in the top ten soon.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:48 pm

AT Funchal-Madeira wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:11 pm
Kirby, Williams, and Brash have all moved up ahead of Hancock. All three will move ahead of Marte this year. Alberto should be in the top ten soon.
Huge season for Marte and Hancock to see what we really have....thank God the minors aren't in jeopardy.
dt

SeattleSportsRUs

Post by SeattleSportsRUs » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:53 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:48 pm
Huge season for Marte and Hancock to see what we really have....thank God the minors aren't in jeopardy.
I'm hopeful half the players on this list aren't Mariners by the time the season rolls around.

Will mean the M's front office actually cares about winning.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:08 pm

SeattleSportsRUs wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:53 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:48 pm
I'm hopeful half the players on this list aren't Mariners by the time the season rolls around.

Will mean the M's front office actually cares about winning.
You are hopeful that JD was lying then....
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:19 pm

Couple of Craptastic Reynolds trade proposals on the Athletic:
OF Bryan Reynolds to the Mariners for SS Noelvi Marte, RHP Emerson Hancock, RHP George Kirby and INF Edwin Arroyo — Stephen S.
Stephen S.’s rationale: Three of Seattle’s top four prospects and a wild-card young shortstop for an elite center fielder who is under control for four more seasons.

OF Bryan Reynolds to the Mariners for OF Julio Rodríguez, RHP Emerson Hancock and RHP George Kirby — Cullen B.
Cullen B.’s rationale: This would be the huge overpay. Cherington would pull the trigger on it, but I highly doubt the Mariners would make this offer.

Pittsburgh’s perspective: The Pirates would jump at either deal. The names mentioned as the return from Seattle are top-10 prospects. At this point in Reynolds’ career, when he’s coming off a season in which he was an MVP candidate and a Gold Glove finalist and still has four years of team control, it will take a massive haul to trade him. That box is checked.

Seattle’s perspective: No freaking way. Mariners president of baseball operations Jerry Dipoto is game for a good trade at any point, but he’s said the team is unwilling to deal its top prospects — that’s Marte, Rodríguez, Kirby and probably Hancock.

That doesn’t mean he won’t, but, I’m sorry, Bryan Reynolds won’t do it. He’s a really good player who could help the Mariners a lot in 2022 and beyond, but you can’t move two of those top prospects in either of these deals.

There’s a second tier of prospects we can talk about (left-handed pitcher Brandon Williamson, among others), but the Mariners won’t part with their core guys. They can, but they won’t. Rodríguez could be a generational player, Marte had a really nice season as a 19-year-old (he’s now 20) and Hancock and Kirby were first-round picks.

That said, I love Reynolds’ game and his controllability. How about this counter: Hancock, Arroyo and outfielder Cade Marlowe for Reynolds. Hancock (No. 4), Arroyo (No. 11) and Marlowe (No. 27) are rated among the Mariners’ top 30 prospects, according to MLB Pipeline. — Corey Brock

Who says no: The Mariners, emphatically.
dt

SeattleSportsRUs

Post by SeattleSportsRUs » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:40 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:19 pm
Couple of Craptastic Reynolds trade proposals on the Athletic:
OF Bryan Reynolds to the Mariners for SS Noelvi Marte, RHP Emerson Hancock, RHP George Kirby and INF Edwin Arroyo — Stephen S.
Stephen S.’s rationale: Three of Seattle’s top four prospects and a wild-card young shortstop for an elite center fielder who is under control for four more seasons.

OF Bryan Reynolds to the Mariners for OF Julio Rodríguez, RHP Emerson Hancock and RHP George Kirby — Cullen B.
Cullen B.’s rationale: This would be the huge overpay. Cherington would pull the trigger on it, but I highly doubt the Mariners would make this offer.

Pittsburgh’s perspective: The Pirates would jump at either deal. The names mentioned as the return from Seattle are top-10 prospects. At this point in Reynolds’ career, when he’s coming off a season in which he was an MVP candidate and a Gold Glove finalist and still has four years of team control, it will take a massive haul to trade him. That box is checked.

Seattle’s perspective: No freaking way. Mariners president of baseball operations Jerry Dipoto is game for a good trade at any point, but he’s said the team is unwilling to deal its top prospects — that’s Marte, Rodríguez, Kirby and probably Hancock.

That doesn’t mean he won’t, but, I’m sorry, Bryan Reynolds won’t do it. He’s a really good player who could help the Mariners a lot in 2022 and beyond, but you can’t move two of those top prospects in either of these deals.

There’s a second tier of prospects we can talk about (left-handed pitcher Brandon Williamson, among others), but the Mariners won’t part with their core guys. They can, but they won’t. Rodríguez could be a generational player, Marte had a really nice season as a 19-year-old (he’s now 20) and Hancock and Kirby were first-round picks.

That said, I love Reynolds’ game and his controllability. How about this counter: Hancock, Arroyo and outfielder Cade Marlowe for Reynolds. Hancock (No. 4), Arroyo (No. 11) and Marlowe (No. 27) are rated among the Mariners’ top 30 prospects, according to MLB Pipeline. — Corey Brock

Who says no: The Mariners, emphatically.
Jesus Christ.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:43 pm

I would do Marte and Hancock or Williamson....
dt

SeattleSportsRUs

Post by SeattleSportsRUs » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:45 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:43 pm
I would do Marte and Hancock or Williamson....
For sure.

Can't be Marte and Kirby though.