Baseball America's Mariners Top Ten Prospects

Coeurd’Alene J

Re: Baseball America's Mariners Top Ten Prospects

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:17 am

AZOldDawg wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:08 pm
Let's go Brandon on Ramirez but I don't think Jerry has the nuts.
No way Jerry gets it done, It will simply be to painful for his ego to give up his prodigy’s

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:29 am

I think he will get something done around pitching. Even if it's selling high on Flexen or selling whatever point he's at on Marco.

A team like the Injuns might like both of those guys as a second piece because they're proven with years of cheap control.

He can't just hoarde prospects when we have 80% of the rotation under contract for years.

Marte/Flexen/Dunn/Hancock seems like a realistic package for Ramirez imo, assuming they're still following their weird contend-but-do-it-cheap philosophy.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:42 am

bpj wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:29 am
I think he will get something done around pitching. Even if it's selling high on Flexen or selling whatever point he's at on Marco.

A team like the Injuns might like both of those guys as a second piece because they're proven with years of cheap control.

He can't just hoarde prospects when we have 80% of the rotation under contract for years.

Marte/Flexen/Dunn/Hancock seems like a realistic package for Ramirez imo, assuming they're still following their weird contend-but-do-it-cheap philosophy.
Only problem with putting Flexen into the deal is your 6.7 WAR addition suddenly becomes a 3.2 WAR addition after subtracting Flexen's 3.5 WAR. So you then need to sign or trade for another starter to get that 3.5 WAR back.

Besides, I think Marte/Dunn/Hancock gets it done as does Tradevalues.com
tv.JPG
tv.JPG (36.77 KiB) Viewed 751 times
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:52 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:42 am
bpj wrote:

Only problem with putting Flexen into the deal is your 6.7 WAR addition suddenly becomes a 3.2 WAR addition after subtracting Flexen's 3.5 WAR. Not to mention you then need to sign or trade for another starter.

tv.JPG
That’s a fair deal. It will hurt but maybe it gets done.....what a difference that would make for the off-season.

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:23 am

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:52 am
D-train wrote:
bpj wrote:

Only problem with putting Flexen into the deal is your 6.7 WAR addition suddenly becomes a 3.2 WAR addition after subtracting Flexen's 3.5 WAR. Not to mention you then need to sign or trade for another starter.

tv.JPG
That’s a fair deal. It will hurt but maybe it gets done.....what a difference that would make for the off-season.
Any JRam trade is going to have to take care of Cleveland needs....and this doesn't. In the article, Olney states that Cleveland has loads of young quality pitching, yet this trade idea has 2 pitchers in it. Cleveland has a dirth of OF's in both the majors and minors. So the trade should look like Marte/Alberto/ Hancock for JRam

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:33 am

D-train wrote:
bpj wrote:

Only problem with putting Flexen into the deal is your 6.7 WAR addition suddenly becomes a 3.2 WAR addition after subtracting Flexen's 3.5 WAR. So you then need to sign or trade for another starter to get that 3.5 WAR back.

tv.JPG
I'm not so sure Marte/Dunn/Hancock gets it done personally.

I look at it more like we can get a replacement for Flexen a lot easier than we can get a JRam.

From Clevelands perspective of "always contending, never spending", a Flexen with some success under his belt may be more attractive than either Dunn or Hancock.

I mean, if I could choose 2 players to keep out of Marte/Flexen/Dunn/Hancock, I probably pick Marte/Flexen. Dunn and Hancock are more filler at this point to hope it gets done.

It would be selling high on Flexen.

There are 10 options out there to replace Flexen for a team that doesn't need to pinch their pennies (us), where a low cost guy like him may be particularly appealing to the penny pinching teams like Cleveland.

Domino effect is acquiring Ramirez instead of a Kris Bryant saves the Mariners at least $100M. Could spend half that and have JRam + a #2 starter with 50mil left in the bank over what we'd be spending on Bryant+Flexen.

SeattleSportsRUs

Post by SeattleSportsRUs » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:22 am

Bil522 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:23 am
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
D-train wrote:

tv.JPG
Any JRam trade is going to have to take care of Cleveland needs....and this doesn't. In the article, Olney states that Cleveland has loads of young quality pitching, yet this trade idea has 2 pitchers in it. Cleveland has a dirth of OF's in both the majors and minors. So the trade should look like Marte/Alberto/ Hancock for JRam
I've never understood this sentiment personally.

If Cleveland trades JRam it signals a rebuild, could possibly mean that a Bieber trade isn't far behind. Marte is a top-10 prospect in baseball, if he's the best player offered to Cleveland can they possibly turn it down?

Why would they trade for "need" if they're rebuilding? Goal for them should be to get the best player possible no matter the position. I know they're infielder rich in their farm, but so what? Marte makes those guys expendable in other trades.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:22 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:26 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:07 pm
AT Funchal-Madeira wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:11 pm
Kirby, Williams, and Brash have all moved up ahead of Hancock. All three will move ahead of Marte this year. Alberto should be in the top ten soon.
Honestly, I'm surprised he didn't make the cut. I'm really looking forward to seeing him perform in the show. He seems to really be putting it all together.
He only played 7 games in Everett but struggled. .208/.571 He needs to crush Everett this season and get promoted to AA in the summer to crack our top 10. This is his age 21 season so he isn't old but not really young either for A ball.
I like the sound of this!! :D

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:02 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:22 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:26 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:07 pm

Honestly, I'm surprised he didn't make the cut. I'm really looking forward to seeing him perform in the show. He seems to really be putting it all together.
He only played 7 games in Everett but struggled. .208/.571 He needs to crush Everett this season and get promoted to AA in the summer to crack our top 10. This is his age 21 season so he isn't old but not really young either for A ball.
I like the sound of this!! :D
Saw that. Epic size for a baseball player at that age.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:07 pm

SeattleSportsRUs wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:22 am
Bil522 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:23 am
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:

I've never understood this sentiment personally.

If Cleveland trades JRam it signals a rebuild, could possibly mean that a Bieber trade isn't far behind. Marte is a top-10 prospect in baseball, if he's the best player offered to Cleveland can they possibly turn it down?

Why would they trade for "need" if they're rebuilding? Goal for them should be to get the best player possible no matter the position. I know they're infielder rich in their farm, but so what? Marte makes those guys expendable in other trades.
Yep, it would be like drafting for need in baseball. Dumb. Looking at that top 100 prospects most rated higher than Marte are likely untouchable our held by rebuilding teams that have no reason to trade prospects. Maybe only Abrams is expendable given he is blocked by Tatis. Indians would be idiots to pass on the second best available prospect because they have other guys that can play SS/3B.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects
dt