Why can't the Mariners sign a free agent hitter?

D-train

Re: Why can't the Mariners sign a free agent hitter?

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:42 pm

And we still haven't signed a FA position players since Beckham 38 months ago. Maybe that changes next off season. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:45 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:29 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:03 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:39 pm

What were they going to do with Correa? He wasn't going to come to Seattle to play 2nd base. The M's weren't going to rock the boat with JP, whether you agree with that or not.

The Twins didn't have to convince him to move positions or even talk about the possibility.

I'm also not sure I'd give Correa $35 million a year given the fact he's the biggest injury risk in this class and dropped a .729 OPS in 2018 and a .709 OPS in 2020. I have a hard time believing that a guy who has only twice been an All Star and only once finished in the top-10 in MVP voting is worth that kind of money.
Listen to the podcast and you will know how I feel about pinky promising JP SS. Well I guess those big spending big market Twins weren't concerned with giving CC $35M. So we have the same payroll we had 14 years ago and have a 21 year playoff drought but we don't want to upgrade from average players to elite because we are worried about spending too much and hurting players feelings. :|
The Twins are in a different and sort of weird spot when compared us though.

They figured on being a contender in 2021 and bombed. They either had to rebuild or choose to throw cash at some players and see how it works out. They're praying it works because there isn't a really a true vision for the future with their team.

The M's are still in a place where 60% of the roster is cementing themselves in the league and I think they did a great job of adding some nice, non-committal pieces (Winker, Suarez) to compliment the young, rising talent.

Remember when I said that I thought the 2022 M's are a lot like the 2016 Astros? I think that when Julio, Kelenic, Raleigh, Gilbert, Kirby are all here and ready to take off, we'll see the M's make some BIG moves to move this thing forward (2023).

Also remember that the Astros didn't sign many big free agents. They traded for Cole, Verlander, Grienke, Gattis, McCann, Alvarez, Osuna, Pressly.

Their only expensive signings that didn't come from a trade or within were for Carlos Beltran and Michael Brantley.
Agree. I think the success or failure of our "step back"/rebuild depends on whether a handful of young guys can develop into solid, consistent hitters and pitchers. It doesn't have to be everyone, but it can't be just one or two.

And although it hasn't been our style (for a LONG time), maybe there is a mid-season/trade deadline move this year, depending on where we are after 85-95 games.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:57 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:42 pm
And we still haven't signed a FA position players since Beckham 38 months ago. Maybe that changes next off season. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.
I understand.

I hope it does. The M's will be in a position next year to add a 2B and probably another outfielder. There's 2x big fish out there.

If not, they could very well get it done via trade again - like the Astros did while they built a team that appeared in 5x ALCS.

From 2015-2018 all Houston signed in the F/A front of note was:

2015: Colby Rasmus 1-year $8 million
2016: Doug Fister 1-year $7 million, Yuli Gurriel 5-years $46.5 million, Charlie Morton 2-years $14 million, Carlos Beltran 1-year $19 million
2017: Joe Smith 2-years $8 million, Hector Rondon 2-years $8.5 million
2018: Robinson Chirinos 1- year $6 million, Michael Brantley 2-years $32 million

I'd argue that adding Robbie Ray, Jessie Winker and Eugenio Suarez is already way more impactful than most of that.

Also, if the deal was so good for the Twins, why didn't the Astros offer the same? Would seem like a no brainer considering they don't have a SS. They must not have thought that was a great deal.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:16 pm

Difference is the Astros had Altuve, Springer, Bregman, Guriel, Correa.

We have Cal, Klew and JK. :?
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:21 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:16 pm

Well, I suppose it’s a matter of faith that a couple of those guys will pan out. This whole rebuild is predicated on that, much like Houston’s was.

Altuve was bad his first 2 years. Bregman didn’t enter the fold until well after those guys (he’s sort of our Marte). These things take a bit of time and development.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:28 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:21 pm
D-train wrote:

Well, I suppose it’s a matter of faith that a couple of those guys will pan out. This whole rebuild is predicated on that, much like Houston’s was.

Altuve was bad his first 2 years. Bregman didn’t enter the fold until well after those guys (he’s sort of our Marte). These things take a bit of time and development.
Yep the guy up right now is another that needs to start hitting.
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:35 pm

Correa was a screaming deal and it wouldn’t have hardly hurt us a bit to slide him to ss for basically a 1 yr contract

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:48 pm

Judge hitting FA after this season is more unlikely than it was for Freddie last year. Now Freddie did, in part because he was 32, coming on 33, whereas Judge is turning 30 in late April, will be entering age 31 season in '23. One reason NYY didn't go all out for Correa is they see a long term massive deal on the horizon for Judge. IE it's not happening. ID BE SHOCKED.

Turner is good, but he's no Corey Seager. That said, given no improvements from JP and another 102 ops+, I'm all for going after Trea.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:48 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:35 pm
Correa was a screaming deal and it wouldn’t have hardly hurt us a bit to slide him to ss for basically a 1 yr contract
Yep. Hey listen to the podcast. At least the first half and let me know what you think.
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:32 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:21 pm
D-train wrote:

I agree with going after Judge, Turner. I saw an article last year that the Dodgers may have hit on a market inefficiency. It basically said that surpassing the first level of luxury tax threshold wasn't a big deal. It does seem that way for mega market teams. The Dodgers and the Yankees could pony up the money to re-sign their stars.