Ok let's bust these idiotic myths once and for all

D-train

Re: Ok let's bust these idiotic myths once and for all

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:50 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:30 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:32 pm
More nonsense about why FAs won't come here. Actually the Seattle school system might be a more legitimate reason. lol
School systems? They're millionaires.

They're going to be living in Medina, Kirkland, Bellevue, Sammamish or some shit where the schools are the best in the country.
Or private schools. Yeah that tweet with crazy on so many levels. Better chance players consider how many good strip clubs in a city than how good the public schools are.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:12 pm

Well, the degree to which leftist policies might impinge on their quality of life probably has some impact on their decision. There's the travel aspect as well.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:29 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:12 pm
Well, the degree to which leftist policies might impinge on their quality of life probably has some impact on their decision. There's the travel aspect as well.
The vast majority of baseball stadiums are in urban cities with extreme left demographics.

Suffolk County (Red Sox) went 81-17 in favor of Biden. Didn't stop Trevor Story for heading there.

Los Angeles Country (Dodgers) went went 71-27 in favor of Biden. Didn't stop Freddie Freeman from heading there or the other hoards of other players. Trevor Bauer is a staunch conservative and he went to LA.

San Fran County (Giants) went 82-16 in favor Biden. Didn't stop Rodon from signing there.

This isn't an issue.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:01 pm

The local politics of Seattle are more far left than any major city with the possible exceptions of Portland and San Fran.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:05 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:01 pm
The local politics of Seattle are more far left than any major city with the possible exceptions of Portland and San Fran.
And you can quantify that how?

These players aren't morons. If they don't want to live in a city that's "too liberal" they can literally move to Mercer Island, Kirkland or Medina. It's a 20 minute drive to the stadium and they're back in their safe haven.

Not to mention that Washington has no state income tax... I think that would outweigh concerns over encountering a few gay people in their time around Seattle.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:07 pm

Pretty sure he was referring to this but they could avoid that pretty easily as well.

https://komonews.com/news/project-seatt ... ess-crisis
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:11 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:07 pm
Pretty sure he was referring to this but they could avoid that pretty easily as well.

I live downtown. I personally don't like it. So I'm moving to Bellevue.

Now imagine what I could do if they put $25 million in my pocket.

Every major city has homeless people. If you're running around w. fat stacks and a few tents around the city bother you, you're definitely not moving to Los Angeles.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:17 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:11 pm
D-train wrote:

I live downtown. I personally don't like it. So I'm moving to Bellevue.

Now imagine what I could do if they put $25 million in my pocket.
Yep, like I said, I don't get the feverish attempts to make excuses for these owners for not spending money. So many on M's twitter saying how smart and prudent they are and many of them the same that were railing against them for being selfish cheap billionaires during the lockout. I don't get it.
dt

Case_Of_The_Runs

Post by Case_Of_The_Runs » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:23 pm

D-train wrote:

Yeah - this is hard to quantify. Politics is less quantifiable than a signing bonus, or even the climate. For example, would international free agents be put off by anti-immigrant rhetoric from the far right? Doesn't seem like it.

And tent cities? Puh-leeze. LA, San Francisco, New York, Chicago - and most every large metropolitan city in the country has issues with homelessness. Sorry...houselessness as they call it around here.

But again - who knows what each baseball player considers important. Neighborhood crime rates. Proximity to schools. Closeness to home. The number of Dunkin Donuts per square mile.

So maybe politics factor in there somewhere, but it could be liberal or conservative policies that are offputting...or compelling. For $160M I could put up with a lot of shit for 6 years.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:49 pm

It's more a question of what would sway them all things being equal with regard to contract offers. Or do you think the Mariners are offering more than other teams for certain (position) players? I don't.

And the travel issue is probably the main one. You play in Seattle and you're going to spend a lot more time in airplanes.