Ok let's bust these idiotic myths once and for all

Donn Beach

Re: Ok let's bust these idiotic myths once and for all

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:58 am

In terms of quality of life, I am going to guess the Puget sound region is an overall positive aspect to a decision even with homeless tents in DT Seattle.

Terms of travel, actually the central divisions have as much or more travel time, cubs, cards. If a player was going to use travel time as a determiner he is going to eliminate a number of teams.

I do think there is a negative quality to a Mariners bid. I'll call it an irrelevance. Stuck up in the corner of the country on a team nobody talks about. Last seasons success would would hardly dent that. Cano being the cautionary tale. He goes there and dies, no playoffs no national media exposure. I think you're needing to overcome that, another position player willing to break ground again.
Last edited by Donn Beach on Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:09 am

They are only living in Seattle because they choose to, like Dan Wilson, he lives in central Seattle and seems to have quite progressive tendencies.
Progressive tendencies, would that include allowing human beings to shit on sidewalks and shoot up heroine unmolested by law enforcement?
D-train wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:03 am
Oh and all things are never equal. What are the odds of two teams coincidently both offering Semien 7 $175M or Bryant 7 $182
Right, i said that to make the point of how small the other considerations are by comparison.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:13 am

You would have to ask him that. But really all you're doing is projecting your own bias. As far as we know Seattle's liberal tendencies could be attractive to a player as unattractive

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:19 am

Want to know what I think be important to a significant FA signing other than salary. It be the confidence the team is going to have the drive to continue to build a team around you, and in those terms Seattle lacks all credibility.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:24 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:13 am
You would have to ask him that. But really all you're doing is projecting your own bias. As far as we know Seattle's liberal tendencies could be attractive to a player as unattractive
True but i think more players would rather not live in or around a leftist cess pool than would.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:33 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:58 am
Terms of travel, actually the central divisions have as much or more travel time, cubs, cards. If a player was going to use travel time as a determiner he is going to eliminate a number of teams.
How would they have more travel time when their average distance to other cities is less. Are they riding Amtrak?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:44 am

Yeah, have that backwards. Let me do that over. The mariners have the greatest travel distances. But if that was actually important to a player he is going to need to limit himself pretty much to the central divisions, those are the teams with significantly less travel

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/visuals/map

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:15 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:24 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:13 am
True but i think more players would rather not live in or around a leftist cess pool than would.
Why would you think that?

Most players are in their late 20's/early 30's and come from majority minority backgrounds. That doesn't scream conservative.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:29 am

Gonna guess as Brandon Morrow suggests, most are pretty apathetic politically
. In a sport where players rarely offer political commentary on social media — let alone in the locker room — Morrow’s voice is only growing louder.

“I’ve got no problem doing it,” Morrow said.

The 10-year veteran signed a minor league contract with the Dodgers in January. He’s in camp as a non-roster invitee.

Morrow, 32, said he hasn’t always been so politically aware. Not unusually, he found himself paying more attention to current events as he got older. The birth of his first child, William, catalyzed his political fervor last year. So did the 2016 election cycle.

“You start thinking about how you want the world to be shaped when they grow up, that sort of thing,” Morrow said.

Even before he became a father, Morrow said, he gained a sympathetic Twitter audience — 79,000 and counting as of Monday — while pitching for the Toronto Blue Jays from 2010-14.

“They’re a pretty liberal group,” he said of his Canadian followers from his days in Toronto.

The average Major League Baseball player is harder to pigeonhole politically. Some are more liberal, some more are conservative and the majority seem apathetic in Morrow’s opinion
Last edited by Donn Beach on Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:30 am

Plenty of liberal, progressive types in all of the major cities. Seattle and San Francisco have the reputations, but most major cities have that sort of thing in abundance.

What I think is that it's mostly about the money but there are secondary factors that make Seattle less desirable like travel time and its reputation as a bit of a backwater. It's just not a preferred location for a lot of guys. But mostly, it's about the money.