Ok let's bust these idiotic myths once and for all

Donn Beach

Re: Ok let's bust these idiotic myths once and for all

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:34 am

Again, I think there could be an issue with overcoming the impression of a lack of desire to win. Things being fairly equal, why play for the team that seems content to remain irrelevant

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:40 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:34 am
Again, I think there could be an issue with overcoming the impression of a lack of desire to win. Things being fairly equal, why play for the team that seems content to remain irrelevant
Yep.

The Dodgers were not a hot destination for free agents until they started winning and ownership looked like they were going to pull all the stops to get it done. Same with the Mets.

And these are big markets.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:59 am

And on the other hand you have a team like the Twins that MLB once tried to disolve which I believe has better reputation for trying to win than the Mariners. In fact if you were to come up with a way to grade, I'd argue the Ms I bet are pretty much at the bottom of the list

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:04 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:59 am
And on the other hand you have a team like the Twins that MLB once tried to disolve which I believe has better reputation for trying to win than the Mariners. In fact if you were to come up with a way to grade, I'd argue the Ms I bet are pretty much at the bottom of the list
Eh I wouldn't go that far.

Pirates, Marlins are def at the bottom. M's gotta be a rung up.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:08 am

Well third from the bottom is pretty much there isn't it...was going to say Derek Jeter gives the Marlins more cred I imagine than the Ms but I see he just quit

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:18 am

Seems he felt a lack of commitment to winning
. Among the issues, sources say, is that Jeter went into the lockout believing team chairman Bruce Sherman had approved the spending of another $10 million to $15 million on player(s) whenever transactions begin again. And that plan was reversed, in Jeter’s understanding. Jeter did not only see that as reneging on a promise, but as a statement against the buildup to try to win — and Jeter was biding the bad times to satisfy his passion to ultimately win

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:22 am

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:15 am
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:24 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:13 am
You would have to ask him that. But really all you're doing is projecting your own bias. As far as we know Seattle's liberal tendencies could be attractive to a player as unattractive
True but i think more players would rather not live in or around a leftist cess pool than would.
Why would you think that?

Most players are in their late 20's/early 30's and come from majority minority backgrounds. That doesn't scream conservative.
Majority of players come from where you are able to play baseball close to year round. I'll leave it at that.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:26 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:29 am
Gonna guess as Brandon Morrow suggests, most are pretty apathetic politically
. In a sport where players rarely offer political commentary on social media — let alone in the locker room — Morrow’s voice is only growing louder.

“I’ve got no problem doing it,” Morrow said.

The 10-year veteran signed a minor league contract with the Dodgers in January. He’s in camp as a non-roster invitee.

Morrow, 32, said he hasn’t always been so politically aware. Not unusually, he found himself paying more attention to current events as he got older. The birth of his first child, William, catalyzed his political fervor last year. So did the 2016 election cycle.

“You start thinking about how you want the world to be shaped when they grow up, that sort of thing,” Morrow said.

Even before he became a father, Morrow said, he gained a sympathetic Twitter audience — 79,000 and counting as of Monday — while pitching for the Toronto Blue Jays from 2010-14.

“They’re a pretty liberal group,” he said of his Canadian followers from his days in Toronto.

The average Major League Baseball player is harder to pigeonhole politically. Some are more liberal, some more are conservative and the majority seem apathetic in Morrow’s opinion
I think people that are passionate politically would be stunned that the vast majority don't care in the least....unless you are talking about gas prices or inflation. :)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:30 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:59 am
Would love to hear why RR opted for a below market deal to play here. Has to be more to it than. Mitch said it was real neat when the fans yelled for us the last weekend of the season.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:39 am

I would put us ahead of the:

A's
Rockies
Royals
Pirates
Marlins
Guardians
Tigers
O's
Twins
Rays
Reds
D Backs

Basically mid pack and it will come down to money 99% of the time unless the guy met the woman of his dreams on a road trip to Pittsburgh last September and she can't move because she has to take care of her ailing 95 year old great granny and can't bear to put her in a home.
dt