My current top 10 prospects

Juliooooo

Re: My current top 10 prospects

Post by Juliooooo » Fri May 10, 2019 3:43 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Yep, even though he is hitting well this year so far, zero power + avg. D = AAAA player at best. At almost 200lbs he might just need an elevate and celebrate swing change that worked so well for Chris Taylor and Bishop. btw Taylor has regressed to his Mariner self. .212/.642 this season.
Name me one starting 3B in MLB with no power that is a mere average defender.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Freespeech

Post by Freespeech » Fri May 10, 2019 4:19 pm

We certainly added prospects this past off season, but does anyone have a feel for where we are numbers-wise? By that I mean overall depth, not just apparently promising individuals.

Too me it's a numbers game. You need 10 (or more) Kelenics to come up with one Trout. I don't know how many "promising" prospects Houston went through to come up with their core group, but it was substantial. Did the pivot from rebuild to re-imagine give us promising but limited group?

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:43 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Yep, even though he is hitting well this year so far, zero power + avg. D = AAAA player at best. At almost 200lbs he might just need an elevate and celebrate swing change that worked so well for Chris Taylor and Bishop. btw Taylor has regressed to his Mariner self. .212/.642 this season.
Name me one starting 3B in MLB with no power that is a mere average defender.
That is what I am saying. He is going nowhere without at least .450 SLG% power.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2019 5:22 pm

Freespeech wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:19 pm
We certainly added prospects this past off season, but does anyone have a feel for where we are numbers-wise? By that I mean overall depth, not just apparently promising individuals.

Too me it's a numbers game. You need 10 (or more) Kelenics to come up with one Trout. I don't know how many "promising" prospects Houston went through to come up with their core group, but it was substantial. Did the pivot from rebuild to re-imagine give us promising but limited group?
It can't be done in one off season. I think it was a great start.

dt
dt

Freespeech

Post by Freespeech » Fri May 10, 2019 7:53 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:22 pm
Freespeech wrote:

dt
I guess my concern is have we gone far enough? Have we labeled this group our stars of the future but still tried to keep a core together?

The Sonics did this with Ray Allen, Nick Collison, and Luke Ridnour. Allen was at his best when he was the 3rd or 4th best player like the Celts and Heat (Garnett, Pierce, etc. at Bos, LeBron, Wade, etc. at Mia) and Luke and Nick were simply role players. But management was convinced they could build around the Big 3 :roll:

Similarly we went years waiting for the M's Big 3 of Paxton, Walker, and Hultzen to make the show. It was a constant mantra that they would be 1,2,3 in the order for years come.

Only point I'm trying to make is it's awfully hard to project players into your future lineup and you get happily surprised by ones you never see coming. Again, it's a numbers game and I am concerned that they chickened out and kept Marco, Haniger, et.al. hoping to win in a shorter time frame than is possible.

With prospects it's better to shoot with a shotgun instead of a rifle.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri May 10, 2019 8:03 pm

Freespeech wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:53 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:22 pm
Freespeech wrote:

dt
I guess my concern is have we gone far enough? Have we labeled this group our stars of the future but still tried to keep a core together?

The Sonics did this with Ray Allen, Nick Collison, and Luke Ridnour. Allen was at his best when he was the 3rd or 4th best player like the Celts and Heat (Garnett, Pierce, etc. at Bos, LeBron, Wade, etc. at Mia) and Luke and Nick were simply role players. But management was convinced they could build around the Big 3 :roll:

Similarly we went years waiting for the M's Big 3 of Paxton, Walker, and Hultzen to make the show. It was a constant mantra that they would be 1,2,3 in the order for years come.

Only point I'm trying to make is it's awfully hard to project players into your future lineup and you get happily surprised by ones you never see coming. Again, it's a numbers game and I am concerned that they chickened out and kept Marco, Haniger, et.al. hoping to win in a shorter time frame than is possible.

With prospects it's better to shoot with a shotgun instead of a rifle.
That all depends on the guys they got. They need 2 OF to pan out in addition to Haniger (pretty likely between Kelenic, Jrod, Fraley, Lewis, DTW). They need an Ace, Gilbert seems most likely but not a lot of other candidates. They also need some infielders. That's where it gets sketchy. We have White, Long and Crawford. Need all of them to develop and add more. This is where I see them get someone in a trade or Free Agency. Getting Long in a trade was a great move for the infield.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Sat May 11, 2019 5:33 am

D-train wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:45 am
Good piece on Gilbert

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2019/5/6 ... ing-report
Damn, that was a really interesting piece. It's cool to see how he's really got this arsenal that he's still perfecting. The slider, to me, is the most dynamic offspeed offering and that's saying something because both his changeup and his curveball have good late action. But that slider really takes off. That thing is potentially wicked.

Boisehawk

Post by Boisehawk » Sun May 12, 2019 4:13 pm

After looking at this list. Do any of you believe we are two years away from competing for a championship? I don’t. We have a couple that might end up being top notch players. Most are just going to be average at best. We should be trading away our best mlb players. Haniger, narvaez, Santana, Gordon, .... should all he traded to build players from 3-5 years away. We should play young players that are mlb ready now. Hope to build one more layer of trades. Build young drafted players over the next three years. I know JD will keep to his plan but I don’t think we will be better if when all said and done.