Winker good as gone?

D-train

Re: Winker good as gone?

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:03 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:58 pm
Where did I give them any credit for being smart? They traded for him because they thought he could rake, and if he did then we are not having this conversation. I'm willing to gamble he will rebound and if he does then again nobody is complaining. That's why I believe it's a function of his raking, not what his teammates think
Production does cover almost all blemishes but the risk of the repeat of 2022 given the same ball park seems greater than out of the blue resurgence unless he commits to turning over a new leaf.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:19 pm

They can look at their analytics in terms of his fit but again, wouldn't they have done that before the trade? I'd consider the season an outlier, it happens. There were reasons they liked the guy. I'm guessing a lot of those reasons still exist. At least to the extent to being the one gambling on a rebound as opposed to some other club doing it, again the mariners were the ones that traded for him. If he continues to suck then release him. I'd do that than cave for the bag of balls you'd get for him.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:07 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:19 pm
They can look at their analytics in terms of his fit but again, wouldn't they have done that before the trade? I'd consider the season an outlier, it happens. There were reasons they liked the guy. I'm guessing a lot of those reasons still exist. At least to the extent to being the one gambling on a rebound as opposed to some other club doing it, again the mariners were the ones that traded for him. If he continues to suck then release him. I'd do that than cave for the bag of balls you'd get for him.
Divish said this:
"I think he was home. I was curious because he didn't make the trip when we went to Toronto and then Houston, and I asked. And they said, 'Well, he wanted to get a second opinion on his neck.' … I think they probably just told him to go home. I mean, it speaks to that. I think by the end of the season, it's what scouts call a tired act. I just think some of his teammates were done with him, were just tired of putting up with him. I think the team is frustrated with him. Everything that Mitch Haniger does to prepare for a game to get ready, Jesse Winker's kind of the opposite. I mean, I can say it. He may not like it. I think he's not very physically strong. I don't think he puts in the time to be better defensively or to have a better arm or any of the work that should be done. And really it is counter to what has made this team great. The last few years, this team prepares more than any team I've ever seen on a daily basis to be ready to play that day, and he doesn't. He doesn't always - it's just not there. And it's noticeable. Players notice it. I think part of it is, too, when he didn't post for that doubleheader and guys were having to play 18 straight innings, I think that bothered some players. And once you lose your teammates, why be there? So there's gonna be some hard conversations either with Jesse from this front office, or they're just gonna move on. And (manager) Scott Servais has said that a lot of times, like, 'We have a plan. We have a way we play. We have a way to prepare. If you don't like it, we'll find somebody else that does.' If you can, do it. And I mean Scott's preached it, all the time. But it takes … all these guys to embrace it … they do it, they believe that's why they're good. And Jesse Winker just hasn't followed through on that a lot."
Jerry said this:
“Right or wrong, and this is not to be cold or callous, when we identify personalities that don't fit, we do our best to try and replace that person or just kind of move on,” Dipoto said. “And even in the Minor Leagues, the same thing is true in our system. We try to best identify players who believe in what we do, believe in their teammates who can be positive impacts. ... If we find someone who doesn’t, we tend to move on.”
Not impossible he is back but it would defy the current reality.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:29 pm

Okay well we shall see, talk about selling low.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:43 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:29 pm
I am sure many said the same about selling Enron for $10 a share or Evan White or JK after the 2021 seasons. Getting something is better than nothing..
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:38 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:43 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
I am sure many said the same about selling Enron for $10 a share or Evan White or JK after the 2021 seasons. Getting something is better than nothing..
Or Mallex Smith before they threw him out there one more time... because, of course, time is what he needed....

It would be one thing if Winker was either playing well or fitting in with the team. But if he's doing neither, what exactly are they hoping to gain that they couldn't get by just replacing him?

At the moment he's just blocking an upgrade. Trading him just to reinvest those dollars is a good enough return imo.

Maybe he'll hit the weights this offseason. I couldn't care less about how he fits into the clubhouse either if he wasn't such a pansy with warning track power in Seattle.

He had 4 of his 14 homeruns in Seattle.

HOME OPS: .625
AWAY OPS: .736

HOME wRC+: 98
AWAY wRC+: 116

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:56 pm

bpj wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:38 pm
D-train wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
Or Mallex Smith before they threw him out there one more time...

It would be one thing if Winker was either playing well or fitting in with the team. But if he's doing neither, what exactly are they hoping to gain that they couldn't get by just replacing him?

At the moment he's just blocking an upgrade. Trading him just to reinvest those dollars is a good enough return imo.

Maybe he'll hit the weights this offseason. I couldn't care less about how he fits into the clubhouse either if he wasn't such a pansy with warning track power in Seattle.
I don't even think it's as much about strength as it was Winker completely losing the ability to make contact with a baseball.

How to go from this:

To this:

To this: :cry:

Unless people are suggesting that he lost a ton of strength in one off season... I'm not really buying the whole muscles thing.

He's just got to figure out how to put good wood on it again.

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:02 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:56 pm
bpj wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:38 pm
D-train wrote:

Or Mallex Smith before they threw him out there one more time...

I don't even think it's as much about strength as it was Winker completely losing the ability to make contact with a baseball.

How to go from this:

To this:

To this: :cry:

Unless people are suggesting that he lost a ton of strength in one off season... I'm not really buying the whole muscles thing.

He's just got to figure out how to put good wood on it again.
His hard hit % and avg exit velocity say otherwise.

Even when he does hit it, he's hitting it like a girl.

He even got slower and a weaker arm. That's a guy who stopped putting any effort into getting better physically, imo.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:09 pm

Ya I suppose that's possible. Pretty weird for a guy that was heading into his final 2 years of arbitration.

But that's a pretty stark drop off for it to be purely physical. The 457 different batting stances through out the year tell a bigger story imo.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:34 pm

I assume that if JD can't get rid of Winker before Friday via trade opportunity then they will DFA him to make room on the 40-man to take care of other business that must be tended to.