Winker good as gone?

Optimistic Ms Fan

Re: Winker good as gone?

Post by Optimistic Ms Fan » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:54 pm

I don't see them just eating his contract to sit home when he's making that much. You might as well hope for a rebound and see what he can do.
Formerly balefire uk :D Now I'm optimistic!

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:59 pm

Optimistic Ms Fan wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:54 pm
I don't see them just eating his contract to sit home when he's making that much. You might as well hope for a rebound and see what he can do.
I don't think JD would be that emotional about it. Wink would be off the team, it opens a roster spot, and retains Winker as a 100% tradeable asset. The upside is opening a roster spot to add performance value to the team. Sunk costs are sunk costs, but you can't let them sink you.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:26 pm

Optimistic Ms Fan wrote:
Its legal to trade players in MLB.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:28 pm

One other thing, regardless how goofy the whole IG thing is. He physically to the time to go in and unfollow both his teammates AND the M's org. That is not a meaningless gesture.
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:29 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:59 pm
Optimistic Ms Fan wrote:
I don't think JD would be that emotional about it. Wink would be off the team, it opens a roster spot, and retains Winker as a 100% tradeable asset. The upside is opening a roster spot to add performance value to the team. Sunk costs are sunk costs, but you can't let them sink you.
I agree about the emotional part. But $7M is a lot to eat right off the bat. If they DFA him right away, they have something like a week to place him on waivers or trade him. Why not hold onto him for the offseason and see if you get any nibbles. As Optimistic says, see if he bounces back. Given his history as an offensive player, he very well might. But to cut him loose just to open a spot on the roster next week doesn't see wise. Hell, they don't even sort out the 40 man until after spring training.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:33 pm

My God, why would they DFA him???
dt

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:50 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:29 pm
Cascade Kid wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:59 pm
Optimistic Ms Fan wrote:
I agree about the emotional part. But $7M is a lot to eat right off the bat. If they DFA him right away, they have something like a week to place him on waivers or trade him. Why not hold onto him for the offseason and see if you get any nibbles. As Optimistic says, see if he bounces back. Given his history as an offensive player, he very well might. But to cut him loose just to open a spot on the roster next week doesn't see wise. Hell, they don't even sort out the 40 man until after spring training.
I'm sure you're right and I'm 100% wrong. :lol:

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:54 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:33 pm
It's what the Cascade Kid asked originally:

"I assume that if JD can't get rid of Winker before Friday via trade opportunity then they will DFA him to make room on the 40-man to take care of other business that must be tended to."

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:01 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:54 pm
D-train wrote:

"I assume that if JD can't get rid of Winker before Friday via trade opportunity then they will DFA him to make room on the 40-man to take care of other business that must be tended to."
They aren't going to DFA him. They don't need roster spots that desperately and unless I'm missing something they don't need to make that decision until just before the Rule 5 draft. Or is there something here I'm not understanding about Friday?

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:09 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:01 pm
Big_Maple wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:54 pm
D-train wrote:

They aren't going to DFA him. They don't need roster spots that desperately and unless I'm missing something they don't need to make that decision until just before the Rule 5 draft. Or is there something here I'm not understanding about Friday?
I believe 5 eligible players need to be placed on the 40 man roster by next Tuesday, correct?