Jerry attempts to justify half assing the off season again

Captain 97

Re: Jerry attempts to justify half assing the off season again

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:34 pm

The M's were 12 games out at the trade deadline so they actually lost ground on the Astros even with the acquisition of Castillo and Kirby's great second half.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:44 pm

Peterson accepted the Giants qualifying offer
Last edited by Donn Beach on Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:51 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:44 pm
Sure. And maybe he likes the flexibility a 1-year deal provides. I'm simply saying that a player like that could have been had at non "big contract" rate, been signed short term, and could have answered a lot of questions.

I'm just anticipating that sometime around May 15th we'll be wondering what over-the-hill scrub we can sign to man DH and LF while players like Jack Mayfield, Kevin Padlo, Jose Marmelejos, and Jacob Nottingham rotate in a musical chairs game of suckage.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:56 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:51 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sure. And maybe he likes the flexibility a 1-year deal provides. I'm simply saying that a player like that could have been had at non "big contract" rate, been signed short term, and could have answered a lot of questions.

I'm just anticipating that sometime around May 15th we'll be wondering what over-the-hill scrub we can sign to man DH and LF while players like Jack Mayfield, Kevin Padlo, Jose Marmelejos, and Jacob Nottingham rotate in a musical chairs game of suckage.
Just thought it was funny, the term used was significantly better. I think dipoto was hired to explain why they aren't spending money to get significantly better rather than spending it to do so. Spending it because it was easier seemed funny

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:57 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
I saw your post before your edit.

I thought a GM's job was to build a team that competes for the World Series?

I don't disagree that the M's are perfectly content keeping a low payroll, being a mid-tier team, and convincing those in La La Land that they give one shit about winning. But I suppose shame on me for wishing this organization is better than that.

MarinerFan4Life

Post by MarinerFan4Life » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:59 pm

It would be easier if Jerry and ownership were honest and just admitted that the business model is "competitive while profitable."

Fact is a team must be in the top 10 payroll to be a consistent contending team from year to year. Profitability is #1 to ownership so this is never going to happen. I have no issue with the concept that ownership has the right to adopt whatever business model they want. But stop putting lipstick on a pig and trying to sell it to us as something different.

Talk straight so the Walk matches the Talk.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:59 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:56 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:51 pm
Donn Beach wrote:

Just thought it was funny, the term used was significantly better. I think dipoto was hired to explain why they aren't spending money to get significantly better rather than spending it to do so. Spending it because it was easier seemed funny
You think a 144 OPS+ and an .874 OPS from the left side at DH doesn't make this M's team significantly better?

Gee... maybe I should have told myself that when Abraham Toro and Luis Torrens were hitting for a combined slugging % of .400 3x months into the season.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:01 pm

MarinerFan4Life wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:59 pm
It would be easier if Jerry and ownership were honest and just admitted that the business model is "competitive while profitable."

Fact is a team must be in the top 10 payroll to be a consistent contending team from year to year. Profitability is #1 to ownership so this is never going to happen. I have no issue with the concept that ownership has the right to adopt whatever business model they want. But stop putting lipstick on a pig and trying to sell it to us as something different.

Talk straight so the Walk matches the Talk.
Well said.

The Mariners and Dipoto in a nutshell.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:05 pm

I don't know if it's so much profitable as an aversion to cash calls

MarinerFan4Life

Post by MarinerFan4Life » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:12 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:05 pm
I don't know if it's so much profitable as an aversion to cash calls
For purposes of this discussion, you can assume profitability = positive cash flow.

I'm a former CPA and CFO so I understand all too well the potential differences between the two. 😀