Tom Verducci on how JK is primed for a breakout

Southpaw773

Re: Tom Verducci on how JK is primed for a breakout

Post by Southpaw773 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:36 am

Can you win the Comeback Player of the Year award before you’re 25? :D

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:52 am

Thought it interesting Verducci beginning the article pointing out how really bad JK has been up to this point.
.Mariners outfielder Jarred Kelenic is a career .168 hitter. Only John Vukovich (.161) was worse with that many times at bat in the big leagues
But he doesn't seem to give it any particular significance in terms of the possibility of being able to fix him.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:14 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:52 am
Thought it interesting Verducci beginning the article pointing out how really bad JK has been up to this point.
.Mariners outfielder Jarred Kelenic is a career .168 hitter. Only John Vukovich (.161) was worse with that many times at bat in the big leagues
But he doesn't seem to give it any particular significance in terms of the possibility of being able to fix him.
Yep that is the fundamental disagreement. After two full seasons of MLB and AAA, with the best hitting coaching minds in the world at his disposal he finished last season 5-51. If you have the physical talent to be an average MLB hitter and have almost 2k Professional PAs off experience under your belt, the odds of that happening are astronomical imo.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:16 am

Southpaw773 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:36 am
Can you win the Comeback Player of the Year award before you’re 25? :D
Hey be careful, as I am reminded on twitter on a daily basis, he is only 23 yo!!!!!

Ironic that people that mindlessly parrot his age think that they are the wise ones and those that have spent hours and hours analyzing him are irrational alarmists.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:42 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:14 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:52 am
Yep that is the fundamental disagreement. After two full seasons of MLB and AAA, with the best hitting coaching minds in the world at his disposal he finished last season 5-51. If you have the physical talent to be an average MLB hitter and have almost 2k Professional PAs off experience under your belt, the odds of that happening are astronomical imo.
It would be one thing if he had finished the season well and was trying to win a spot without having to change anything.

But on top of the failure of a season, now he's going to be put straight back into MLB with a changed swing...

Doesn't seem ideal.

Mesully11

Post by Mesully11 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:36 pm

I expect this to be his last chance here, probably a short leash (I hope).

He may get a chance somewhere else as a late inning defensive replacement.
But no pressure on him at all. :roll:

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:29 pm

Mesully11 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:36 pm
I expect this to be his last chance here, probably a short leash (I hope).

He may get a chance somewhere else as a late inning defensive replacement.
But no pressure on him at all. :roll:
Yep, it is what is. I am actually tired of talking about it believe it or not. lol

It all starts Friday. Let him go out there and sink or swim. Hoping for a miracle....
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:18 pm

You know who else has a new swing, Jason Hayward. I remember hearing when he was first struggling with the cubs there were issues with his swing. It will be interesting if the Dodgers figure it out
. I was expecting to make changes and expecting to start from scratch, which was nice,” Heyward said. “That being said, it’s still about me as far as showing up everyday, especially stepping in the box being the best version of myself.”

The Dodgers made it clear to Heyward that his swing needed a major overhaul. There were some things that weren’t working for him and had prevented him from producing at a high clip for a few seasons

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:08 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:18 pm
You know who else has a new swing, Jason Hayward. I remember hearing when he was first struggling with the cubs there were issues with his swing. It will be interesting if the Dodgers figure it out
. I was expecting to make changes and expecting to start from scratch, which was nice,” Heyward said. “That being said, it’s still about me as far as showing up everyday, especially stepping in the box being the best version of myself.”

The Dodgers made it clear to Heyward that his swing needed a major overhaul. There were some things that weren’t working for him and had prevented him from producing at a high clip for a few seasons
The Dodgers are at the forefront in terms of swing analysis and developing hitters. They are the best organization in baseball, in my opinion.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:13 am

And they're happy to go dumpster diving