Post by Southpaw773 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:23 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:52 am
Hernandez .254
Pollock .125
Wong .106
Hummel .095
LaStella .077

How is this even possible? Seriously, HOW?!?

Hummel and LaStella never should have been on this team in the first place. LaStella's career in particular ended in 2022 and nobody told the Mariner organization.

It's just mind-blowing to have four players hitting a combined .100 after 17 games. This has got to be the first time in MLB history this has ever happened.

Fire Dipoto the dodo

Pharmabro

Re: Batting averages of our five new players

Post by Pharmabro » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:10 am

Southpaw773 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:23 am
DavidGee24 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:52 am
Hernandez .254
Pollock .125
Wong .106
Hummel .095
LaStella .077

How is this even possible? Seriously, HOW?!?

Hummel and LaStella never should have been on this team in the first place. LaStella's career in particular ended in 2022 and nobody told the Mariner organization.

It's just mind-blowing to have four players hitting a combined .100 after 17 games. This has got to be the first time in MLB history this has ever happened.

Fire Dipoto the dodo
No.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:41 pm

Divish sums it up well after SS spews the same old nonsense. lol
“The consistency offensively hasn’t been there,” Servais said. “We’ve had a certain game here or there where we’ll put something together and get a couple guys going, but it wasn’t there tonight, for sure.”

It’s indicative of a lineup that is flawed with struggling hitters, inconsistent producers and three or four players having to carry the offensive load. It’s not a sustainable model for success.

It’s why Seattle is now 0-8 in games where teams have scored four runs or more and 0-4 in extra-inning games.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:15 pm

dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:58 pm

On face value, that seems fine. 3/13 = .230 which is better than the batting average of half of our team.

But of course you also have to divide the 3 playoff games they have played by the total number of playoff games in 13 years. That number, by my math, is much smaller.

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:01 pm

Jerry of all people should recognize that the window for success is fleeting for teams like the M's. His piecemeal approach to the off season simply is not forgivable and we are feeling the pain of it. We are in an offensive hole as a result and I am not optimistic we have the tools to dig ourselves out. What's even worse is that we had to resources available to take a quantum leap and chose not to.

gil

Post by gil » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:40 pm

1. Teo is hitting right around .300 if you take away his 1 for 17 start (which I realize is cherry picking the stats). I think his numbers will be fine as the year goes on. Whether he is good "situationally" (i.e., with clutch with runners on in close games or in extra innings) is another matter. I don't know of individual level stats that explain why/how the Ms did so well in close games and in extra innings games the last 2 years (but are not so far in 2023).

2. Wong seems to have fallen off a cliff so far this year - barely even a heartbeat offensively. Zero extra base hits in his first 51 ABs, after 48 and 43 the last 2 years. Another case of "Seattle - where bats go to die"?

3. Pollack, Hummel, LaStella. What can you say? Obviously (to me) they were sort of "option bets". If someone works out, it's a low cost win. If not, it's a low cost disappointment. I just wonder, when we look around the leagues, are there other guys who were similar question marks in the off season who are working out well so far this year? Are these predictable disappointments? Or is it just bad luck? (i.e., not all "options" work out)

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:49 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:01 pm
Jerry of all people should recognize that the window for success is fleeting for teams like the M's. His piecemeal approach to the off season simply is not forgivable and we are feeling the pain of it. We are in an offensive hole as a result and I am not optimistic we have the tools to dig ourselves out. What's even worse is that we had to resources available to take a quantum leap and chose not to.
Yet we have throngs of people defending this joker. He is basically Jim Jones minus the Koolaid.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:56 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:49 pm
AZOldDawg wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:01 pm
Yet we have throngs of people defending this joker. He is basically Jim Jones minus the Koolaid.
Are you saying that Jim Jones was incompetent? ;)

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:48 pm

The issue with the DH is they were never going to find a legit DH - Jerry doesn't believe in it. He believes its an extra spot to give a guy a day off. The problem with his logic, which I'm astounded he's never figured out, is that you need to have an extra really good player on the team to make it work otherwise you end up with the mess we have now. If we had Reynolds for example - then you just rotate one of the OF'ers into the DH spot every 4th day to give them a night off from the field but they all keep hitting. You don't have 3 OF'ers and then 2 wastes of space and give them ab's that hurt your team.

The real elephant of our offense is the same as it was last year - too many streaky hitters. They hit for a day or two and then take the next 3-5 days off. Suarez is the worst at this with France not far behind. Julio is pressing way too much right now and needs to, amazingly, take a page out of JK's hitting book and look more for his pitch instead of trying to hit everything thrown at him.

FO is cheap though - no denying that - they seem so paranoid about future payrolls they won't spend today. Its like they don't understand that you can buy today and sell tomorrow to make room for that future payoff.