The really dismaying thing about this team - lack of heart

D-train

Re: The really dismaying thing about this team - lack of heart

Post by D-train » Tue May 14, 2019 12:56 am

Freespeech wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:42 pm
My hero Scott Servais mentioned that the Bosox are so tough because they wait out pitchers, and that the M's did that early this year. I remember that being the case. What happened? Did they forget? Did my hero SS not remind them? He acts like he not only has no control but absolutely no effect on what happens in the field. He's wearing me out.
I heard that. Mind boggling.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 14, 2019 12:57 am

Happy as hell wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:05 am
I really think it is lack of talent, not heart.
Even their hearts are untalented.
dt

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Tue May 14, 2019 1:05 am

Things that bother me about MLB intensity in general:

1. When a batter strikes out and he walks back to the dugout super slow... nobody looks or says a word to the guy. He just puts his bat and helmet away and takes a spot on the bench. This bothers me even more when its like the second or third K for the guy in the game. Not that I'm advocating for a "ra ra" fest out there... but after a guy K's for the second time... the hitting coach should have a mandatory meeting with the guy on the bench where they go over pitches that the pitcher used that fooled him and how he should change his approach. This is what's missing with the M's when they don't come back in games... I just feel like it's a free-for-all where the coaches and players don't hold each other accountable and everyone is just expected to do their job and stay motivated in the game at their own behest - a method that is clearly not working. This is where MLB teams could learn from the NFL... after every series the coach is in their ear on the phone and the players have tablets showing them what the opposing defense or offense is showing them.

2. If there's an obvious situational hitting spot in the game and I'm Scott Servais... I don't let the player leave the on-deck circle without him having a direct conversation w/ me about the situation at hand and the exact strategy we're going to take. Again, just leaving it up to the players to "do their job" doesn't seem to work, and the M's are a prime example. This is all about focus... a direct conversation with a solid message is far more motivational than, "OK Dee... have a fun at bat, bud."

3. Where is the intensity in mound visits when pitchers are struggling? Sometimes a kick in the pants is enough to wake the guy up. What I see from our relievers is not good: they look scared to throw the ball. If I see that and I'm the coach, I'm point blank asking the player, "do you want to be out here... if not, do you want us to find someone who does? throw some fucking strikes and get after it." The whole Swarzak thing is the most incredible feat of pussyness that I've ever seen. What kind of a major league ball player drops to his knees and puts his head in his glove every time a hitter makes contact? If I were a manager and I saw that, I'd put a stop to it real quick. What kind of a message does that send to opposing batters about your confidence? A terrible message, and for some reason... Servais and Co. don't really care what his body language suggests and they allow it.

4. Eventually there has to be ramifications for poor play. I know Shed Long was only in his second game ever... but dropping 2 fly balls in one game? This is supposed to be a major league baseball player. Again, I call time for a mound visit and I look straight at the guy in the face and ask him if he wants to be here, if not... "you can just stick it out in AAA or start playing fkn baseball, you decide." Fear is a good motivator if it's used wisely and at the right times... fear is also overcome when you realize you're afraid, realize what's at stake and realize pulling your head out of your ass is the better strategy. The second message is pulling him right off the field... you don't wanna be embarrassed? Then start playing like a MLB player and not a little leaguer.

Ziskmagic

Post by Ziskmagic » Tue May 14, 2019 1:43 am

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:05 am
The whole Swarzak thing is the most incredible feat of pussyness that I've ever seen. What kind of a major league ball player drops to his knees and puts his head in his glove every time a hitter makes contact?
Astonishing. Most little leaguers can hold it together better than Swarzak did. Love how the manager keeps throwing him out there...

Somebody gotta flip his crazy switch...channel some Al Hrabosky or something. What's Norm Charlton up to?
As a body we are alone, as a soul never.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 14, 2019 2:09 am

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:05 am
Things that bother me about MLB intensity in general:

1. When a batter strikes out and he walks back to the dugout super slow... nobody looks or says a word to the guy. He just puts his bat and helmet away and takes a spot on the bench. This bothers me even more when its like the second or third K for the guy in the game. Not that I'm advocating for a "ra ra" fest out there... but after a guy K's for the second time... the hitting coach should have a mandatory meeting with the guy on the bench where they go over pitches that the pitcher used that fooled him and how he should change his approach. This is what's missing with the M's when they don't come back in games... I just feel like it's a free-for-all where the coaches and players don't hold each other accountable and everyone is just expected to do their job and stay motivated in the game at their own behest - a method that is clearly not working. This is where MLB teams could learn from the NFL... after every series the coach is in their ear on the phone and the players have tablets showing them what the opposing defense or offense is showing them.

2. If there's an obvious situational hitting spot in the game and I'm Scott Servais... I don't let the player leave the on-deck circle without him having a direct conversation w/ me about the situation at hand and the exact strategy we're going to take. Again, just leaving it up to the players to "do their job" doesn't seem to work, and the M's are a prime example. This is all about focus... a direct conversation with a solid message is far more motivational than, "OK Dee... have a fun at bat, bud."

3. Where is the intensity in mound visits when pitchers are struggling? Sometimes a kick in the pants is enough to wake the guy up. What I see from our relievers is not good: they look scared to throw the ball. If I see that and I'm the coach, I'm point blank asking the player, "do you want to be out here... if not, do you want us to find someone who does? throw some fucking strikes and get after it." The whole Swarzak thing is the most incredible feat of pussyness that I've ever seen. What kind of a major league ball player drops to his knees and puts his head in his glove every time a hitter makes contact? If I were a manager and I saw that, I'd put a stop to it real quick. What kind of a message does that send to opposing batters about your confidence? A terrible message, and for some reason... Servais and Co. don't really care what his body language suggests and they allow it.

4. Eventually there has to be ramifications for poor play. I know Shed Long was only in his second game ever... but dropping 2 fly balls in one game? This is supposed to be a major league baseball player. Again, I call time for a mound visit and I look straight at the guy in the face and ask him if he wants to be here, if not... "you can just stick it out in AAA or start playing fkn baseball, you decide." Fear is a good motivator if it's used wisely and at the right times... fear is also overcome when you realize you're afraid, realize what's at stake and realize pulling your head out of your ass is the better strategy. The second message is pulling him right off the field... you don't wanna be embarrassed? Then start playing like a MLB player and not a little leaguer.
Interesting ideas. Of course none will ever go down with our current manager at the helm. Maybe it's time for another pool table or Mariachi band.
dt

roosevelt

Post by roosevelt » Tue May 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Let this be a warning to all MLB GM's, hard to win with a gaggle of DH's...

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Tue May 14, 2019 6:09 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:57 am
Happy as hell wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:05 am
I really think it is lack of talent, not heart.
Even their hearts are untalented.
I’d settle for 2 functioning kidneys!

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Well...looks like the reverse jinx worked last night!

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 14, 2019 8:04 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:40 pm
Well...looks like the reverse jinx worked last night!
More proof the read the new forum. :)
dt

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Tue May 14, 2019 9:03 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:56 am
Freespeech wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:42 pm
My hero Scott Servais mentioned that the Bosox are so tough because they wait out pitchers, and that the M's did that early this year. I remember that being the case. What happened? Did they forget? Did my hero SS not remind them? He acts like he not only has no control but absolutely no effect on what happens in the field. He's wearing me out.
I heard that. Mind boggling.
I've lost interest in your hero..... He's been over his head since the beginning..even concerning the most elementary principles...
.https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2016/7/1 ... ad-hunches