The Trade

D-train

The Trade

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:38 pm

First of all I was fine trading Sewald. He pitched well for the most part but I was never a huge fan for some reason given the smoke an mirrors aspect of his stuff.

Here is a thought though. I think he might still be on the team of JK hadn't kicked the cooler. Jerry felt like he needed a mlb ready OFer and of course a 2B since he knew he finally had to DFA Wong. So he was desperate to do something, anything at the deadline to not look like a complete complacent dope.

What happened though. For 2B he had Cabby, Moore and Sam which would have been fine and actually better than what Rojas has done.

Now Canzone is blocking Marlowe who will now likely fall into a slump after a great start because he won't get regular playing time.

Neither Canzone look like long term pieces on a Championship team and Bliss still can't hit AAA pitching.

I don't think I need to mention the impact on the bullpen the last 4 games..........

Bottom line: The trade was unnecessary and is now looking like it likely will cost us the playoffs....
dt

Donn Beach

Re: The Trade

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:00 pm

He makes the trade, it's what he does, the vogie trade, Diaz, Graveman, now Sewald

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:07 pm

Yep he think relievers are fungible and a dime a dozen.........and they are for the most part until they are not....
dt

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:18 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:38 pm
First of all I was fine trading Sewald. He pitched well for the most part but I was never a huge fan for some reason given the smoke an mirrors aspect of his stuff.

Here is a thought though. I think he might still be on the team of JK hadn't kicked the cooler. Jerry felt like he needed a mlb ready OFer and of course a 2B since he knew he finally had to DFA Wong. So he was desperate to do something, anything at the deadline to not look like a complete complacent dope.

What happened though. For 2B he had Cabby, Moore and Sam which would have been fine and actually better than what Rojas has done.

Now Canzone is blocking Marlowe who will now likely fall into a slump after a great start because he won't get regular playing time.

Neither Canzone look like long term pieces on a Championship team and Bliss still can't hit AAA pitching.

I don't think I need to mention the impact on the bullpen the last 4 games..........

Bottom line: The trade was unnecessary and is now looking like it likely will cost us the playoffs....
So two of the last three years Jerry has made deadline trades that made the team worse. And he still has a job

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:26 pm

I don’t think you can judge the trade after 3 weeks. Mariners have won 8-12 games since the trade deadline. This trade will be judged of future years more than this year. I think Brash and Munoz strep it up and the bullpen will be fine at the end of the year. I think we are missing JPs bat as much as anything
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:37 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:26 pm
I don’t think you can judge the trade after 3 weeks. Mariners have won 8-12 games since the trade deadline. This trade will be judged of future years more than this year. I think Brash and Munoz strep it up and the bullpen will be fine at the end of the year. I think we are missing JPs bat as much as anything
Of course not. I am more so judging it based on projecting our return. Canzone and Rojas or borderline major leaguers that would make fine Royals but they aren't every day players on a WS team but of course that is the goal so all makes sense.

For this season we would be better off with Sewald and and just going with Marlowe and Moore and eventually JK in the OF and Moore, Cabby Sam at 2B.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:46 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:37 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Of course not. I am more so judging it based on projecting our return. Canzone and Rojas or borderline major leaguers that would make fine Royals but they aren't every day players on a WS team but of course that is the goal so all makes sense.

For this season we would be better off with Sewald and and just going with Marlowe and Moore and eventually JK in the OF and Moore, Cabby Sam at 2B.
I think it hinges on bliss. If he can be our 2B and be a league average bat with good defense the next 2 years while waiting for Cole young, it’sa win and anything Canzone/Rojas does is a bonus.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:54 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:46 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:37 pm
Juliooooo wrote:

I think it hinges on bliss. If he can be our 2B and be a league average bat with good defense the next 2 years while waiting for Cole young, it’sa win and anything Canzone/Rojas does is a bonus.
Agree. Really unusual for a guy to kill it in AA and struggle in the hitter's paradise of the PCL like he has so hoping it is just an oddity and it seems he is heating up a bit so that's good. He is the most intriguing of the 3 we got for Paul. imo.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:00 pm

By Larry Stone
Seattle Times columnist
Here is the paradox of the Mariners’ season: They are the team absolutely no one wants to face in the postseason. And they have absolutely no guarantee of reaching that destination.

It’s what makes this 2023 simultaneously so frustrating and yet so enticing. Given up as a lost cause at so many different junctures, they nonetheless have given themselves a fighting chance to eke out a playoff spot. And if it happens, it’s not hard to dream about what would be possible when you can throw out Luis Castillo, George Kirby and Logan Gilbert in a short series. I had a colleague posit recently that they are closer right now to winning the World Series than they were a year ago in the drought-breaking season.

All well and good — but the Mariners are still a decided longshot to make the postseason, even with a torrid stretch of 16 wins in 20 games that for one shining moment on Saturday afternoon pulled them percentage points ahead of Toronto for the final AL wild-card berth.

But as we all know, Mariners fans aren’t allowed to have nice things. Following Toronto’s loss Saturday that put them in that position, and following a stirring ceremony to induct Felix Hernandez into the Mariners Hall of Fame, they proceeded to give the ultimate homage to Felix’s career by providing George Kirby with zero runs in support of his magnificent nine-inning shutout performance en route to a 1-0 Seattle loss in 10 innings. So much for the wild-card lead that was theirs for the taking.

Another frustrating loss to Baltimore followed Sunday, and then an equally frustrating loss to Kansas City punctuated by a walkoff squeeze bunt — perhaps more so when put in the context of a Royals team headed for 110 losses that should have been easy pickings. The fact that each of those games was ultimately lost with a final-inning bullpen lapse opens a new area of concern after the trade of closer Paul Sewald — a worry that was only exacerbated on Tuesday despite a tense 10-8 victory in 10 innings.

As has so often been the case for the Mariners this year, one of their best moments — a rally from 5-0 down to take the lead in the ninth inning Monday — turned out to be diabolically anticlimactic. So you can put the game-tying and go-ahead hits by Josh Rojas and Julio Rodriguez into the same sad box that contains Kolten Wong’s go-ahead grand slam, Jarred Kelenic’s game-tying homer in the ninth at Wrigley Field, Mike Ford’s game-tying home run off indomitable Baltimore closer Felix Bautista with two outs in the ninth and Dominic Canzone’s two-out, game-tying home run in the ninth inning Sunday — all of which came in games the Mariners eventually lost in heartbreaking fashion.

And put each of those three defeats into the box that will contain the seeds of the Mariners demise should they fail to grab a playoff spot — of which they had just a 25.8% chance of doing by FanGraphs calculation following Tuesday’s win. That’s down from 43.6% after beating the Orioles on Friday (but up from 13% as recently as July 19, when the M’s lost to the Twins to fall under .500, presumably for the final time).

You can point to any number of excruciating losses that have put the Mariners in this tenuous spot (if you don’t want to, on a more fundamental level, point to the failure to adequately address their offensive shortcomings in the offseason as the culprit), starting ominously with a 6-5 loss to the Guardians on April 2 — Game 4 — in which a throwing error by Cal Raleigh on what would have been an inning-ending double play allowed the winning run to score in the 10th.

Thus was set the pattern of agonizing losses, often by one run and/or in extra innings, that will haunt their dreams in the offseason if the Mariners fall just short of the postseason. The list is too long to run in its entirety, but the highlights (lowlights?) include:

The 7-0 lead over the Cubs that slipped away April 11.
The 1-0 loss to the Phillies despite a George Kirby complete-game masterpiece (foreshadowing!) April 27.
The 4-3 loss in 11 innings to the White Sox on June 17 when Sewald blew the save in the ninth and the Mariners went hitless over the final six innings.
The 7-4 loss in 11 innings to the Nationals on June 27 in which they somehow failed to score in the 10th with the bases loaded and no outs (replicated July 8 in a 3-2 loss to the Astros, in which light-hitting Martin Maldonado won it with a homer off Andres Munoz).
The boo-inducing, 4-1 loss to the Nationals on June 28 in which struggling Patrick Corbin, with his 5.22 ERA and .309 opponents batting average, blanked them on five hits over seven innings.
The still freshly horrifying Cedric Mullins double-whammy Sunday.
The Matt Brash ninth-inning meltdown Monday.
Gruesome stuff, no doubt, and Tuesday’s game looked for a time like it might be the worst of the bunch — but back to the original premise. Seattle’s starting pitching in the Orioles series was more than enough to make you realize that despite all that heartbreak, great things could still happen for the Mariners this year.

Just ask Orioles manager Brandon Hyde, who was effusive in his gushing over the Mariners arms, particularly after Luis Castillo was dominant over six innings in the opener (two hits, one run, eight strikeouts), followed by Kirby’s utter masterpiece. All that came a few days after Gilbert shut down the Padres on one hit over seven innings, with 12 strikeouts.

Yes, the daydreaming about a potentially dominant playoff rotation comes mixed with frustration over an offense that, while vastly improved over the past month, still is subject to untimely stretches of dormancy. The other, less-satisfying daydream one could appropriately have about the Mariners season is how well this team would be set up with a better functioning offense from the beginning. And now late-inning relief has emerged as a new worry following the departure of Sewald (for Rojas and Canzone, who had a combined slash line with Seattle of .208/.250/.321 through Monday) at the trade deadline. On Tuesday, Munoz was unable to preserve a three-run lead in the ninth as the Mariners squandered all of their early 7-0 lead, only to pull it out on Ty France’s two-run, two-out single in the 10th. It was as clutch a hit as they’ve had all year, considering how devastating it would have been to lose that game.

As Matt Calkins wrote Monday, the Mariners have a golden opportunity to solidify their playoff chances during a stretch of 19 games, in which 16 are against subpar teams (a stretch that got off to a bad start Monday, and nearly got worse on Tuesday). And they can’t blow it.

It’s going to be a race to the finish — with a potentially massive payoff even if they sneak into the postseason by the slimmest of margins. They have the rotation to make noise in October — but only if they’re not silenced before then.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:15 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:07 pm
Yep he think relievers are fungible and a dime a dozen.........and they are for the most part until they are not....
Interesting how he's traded away three closers. His thinking must be that closing a game is a piece of cake and anyone in the bullpen has the makeup for the position, which, as we all know, isn't really the case. I too, don't think we'll make the playoffs because we really have no shutdown closer to put their finger in the dyke in tight games.