GT 9/25:Houston we have a problem

Juliooooo

Re: GT 9/25:Houston we have a problem

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:15 am

Millikin wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:13 am
Here's what I find really annoying. They have 84 wins with 6 to go. They have to win 6 straight against Astros/Rangers to reach 90 wins.

2021: 90 wins
2022: 90 wins
2023: 90 wins maximum

They have not fucking improved at all! Was this the master plan* to plateau at 90 wins?

*Master plan has actually been reached: Be good enough, have enough fan favorite players, and have enough bobblehead days to keep attendance up all year long.
-If team happens to make playoffs, Huzzah! Bumper sticker sales go through the roof.
I think they are better overall, at least talent wise, but just have found ways to lose instead of ways to win. Last 2 years they overachieved, this year they underachieved.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:16 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:17 am
harmony wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:16 am
Even if the Mariners fail to advance to the postseason this year, a solid returning core gives hope for 2024. The offseason should be interesting.

Time for this guy to flee the country. See ya next year.
Where are you going??
A couple of weeks in Croatia. Could be back in time to see the Mariners in the World Series.😀

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:22 am

Choke city.

Stanton and Jerry getting exactly what they what. Competitive and cheap. Nothing will change.

roosevelt

Post by roosevelt » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:24 am

Sinking like a rock. Poor effort when it mattered most...

ice99

Post by ice99 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:27 am

desbcoach wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:50 am
Vogelbomb wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:48 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:42 am

They need to win 4 of 6, including the last 2 against Houston, and hope for help from Arizona
Seriously, unless this team goes 6-0 to close the season i.e. A COMPLETE 180 FROM WHAT WE'RE GETTING RIGHT NOW it doesn't even matter because they are playing so badly that big deal they get in the postseason. Get in to do what?
Point is 4-2 over last 6’games is a pipe dream filled with meth and coke at this time. They are who they have been all year against teams better the 0.500
I guess you can still win if the M's go 6-0.

DG has a chance too.
Last edited by ice99 on Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:33 am

Ms Best players don't have a killer instinct and falter in big situations. Castillo cruises through the year but whenever the game matters and they need him the most he crumbles. How many times has Julio come up with the bases loaded in the past week with zip to show for it. It has to have been 3 or 4. The team just ain't made for prime time.

ice99

Post by ice99 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:52 am

ice99 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:27 am
desbcoach wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:50 am
Vogelbomb wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:48 am

Seriously, unless this team goes 6-0 to close the season i.e. A COMPLETE 180 FROM WHAT WE'RE GETTING RIGHT NOW it doesn't even matter because they are playing so badly that big deal they get in the postseason. Get in to do what?
Point is 4-2 over last 6’games is a pipe dream filled with meth and coke at this time. They are who they have been all year against teams better the 0.500
I guess you can still win if the M's go 6-0.

DG has a chance too.
I wasn't paying attention. Last time it was the best pct. this year I guess it's wins? DKDC

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:37 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:33 am
Ms Best players don't have a killer instinct and falter in big situations. Castillo cruises through the year but whenever the game matters and they need him the most he crumbles. How many times has Julio come up with the bases loaded in the past week with zip to show for it. It has to have been 3 or 4. The team just ain't made for prime time.
What does having a killer instinct entail. Does Atlanta & Tampa & Baltimore have a killer instinct. Who's their best hitters. The key is don't get cheated at the plate. They should know Verlander better than anybody by know. You got to remember Julio is still a Pup. Can't expect him to put it all on his shoulders, it's a team effort. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we led the league in strikeouts. But yes too many times our guys come to the plate with RISP & come up empty. Change in culture has got to be in order. Need a healthy blend of youth & savvy vets. My 1 wish is for Jerry to show SS the door & don't let it hit you in the you know what on the way out. I can guarantee you TB & Atlanta & Baltimore's Managers don't coach their teams like that.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:52 am

What amazed me was that Verlander didn't even pitch that well, he laid a lot of cookies in there that our guys just didn't hit. The Rangers would have beaten him tonight.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:09 am

HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:37 am
Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:33 am
What does having a killer instinct entail. Does Atlanta & Tampa & Baltimore have a killer instinct. Who's their best hitters. The key is don't get cheated at the plate. They should know Verlander better than anybody by know. You got to remember Julio is still a Pup. Can't expect him to put it all on his shoulders, it's a team effort. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we led the league in strikeouts. But yes too many times our guys come to the plate with RISP & come up empty. Change in culture has got to be in order. Need a healthy blend of youth & savvy vets. My 1 wish is for Jerry to show SS the door & don't let it hit you in the you know what on the way out. I can guarantee you TB & Atlanta & Baltimore's Managers don't coach their teams like that.
For me it starts at the top.

These guys are all cumbaya and, "Golly gee, you'll get 'em next time!"

There's no accountability. Meaning guys like Kelenic and Ty can suck day in and day out, but get written into the lineup almost daily.

But Mike Ford and Dylan Moore can hit for an .800+ OPS only to be benched when the prodigal dunce returns.

Since his return Kelenic has 39 plate appearances.
In that time, Ty France has 49, Caballero has 11, Ford has 14, Moore has 27, Canzone has 21, Haggerty has 24.

I can't imagine any of the players appreciate that type of environment (besides Kelenic). I know I'd be pissed if I was Mike Ford and I killed it all year in AAA and then killed it when given even semi-regular at bats, only to be benched once Kelenic got back.

Not much chance other players haven't noticed this stuff.

Mike Ford is exactly the kind of guy they should be riding on his back for 1.5 - 2 years before discarding him for the next guy in his prime instead of committing to 4 years of underproduction from guys like Kelenic waiting for him to become a servicable MLB player.