Dipoto hints that not much will change.

MarinerMike

Re: Dipoto hints that not much will change.

Post by MarinerMike » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:32 pm

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:41 pm

Dipoto doesn't see many holes to fill
"The one thing I will say that is different about this team than any other team that we've done this with and we've all done together here for a number of years, there are fewer holes to fill," Dipoto said. "You know, we have far more answers to the question when does the championship come, than questions. We'll ask ourselves those questions heading into this year and answer them to the best of our ability."

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:42 pm

Loved SS saying the big offensive surge happened after the Sewald trade and those two player were a big part of the offensive surge??? What the hell. Rojas and Don were not good offensively. Crazy talk

MarinerMike

Post by MarinerMike » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:45 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:41 pm
"The one thing I will say that is different about this team than any other team that we've done this with and we've all done together here for a number of years, there are fewer holes to fill," Dipoto said. "You know, we have far more answers to the question when does the championship come, than questions. We'll ask ourselves those questions heading into this year and answer them to the best of our ability."
So weird. The only positive things I learned from the season were that JP is actually pretty good and we have quite a bit of backend depth at SP. Otherwise, it feels like there are more holes than last offseason lol

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:47 pm

Gametime wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:42 pm
Loved SS saying the big offensive surge happened after the Sewald trade and those two player were a big part of the offensive surge??? What the hell. Rojas and Don were not good offensively. Crazy talk
Rojas was alright .272 /.321 /.400 /.721

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:49 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Yeah, but they're the same holes as the last four years.

We need a DH. We need a 2B. We need a 1B. And we need two corner outfielders.

Some of those may be able to be filled by the in house options, but need at least three of them filled from outside.

Personally I think we need a DH, a 1B and a COF. Move Ty down the totem pole to Dylan Moores roster spot as a utility player. Slide Dylan Moore down into Jose Caballero's spot as platoon 2B with Rojas. Cabby and Canzone to AAA. Then fill Teoscars empty roster spot.

MarinerMike

Post by MarinerMike » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:55 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:47 pm
Gametime wrote:
Mariners blew 20 saves this year and only 3 were by Sewald. I wonder if ~17 saves offsets a .721 OPS

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:01 pm

bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:49 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Yeah, but they're the same holes as the last four years.

We need a DH. We need a 2B. We need a 1B. And we need two corner outfielders.

Some of those may be able to be filled by the in house options, but need at least three of them filled from outside.

Personally I think we need a DH, a 1B and a COF. Move Ty down the totem pole to Dylan Moores roster spot as a utility player. Slide Dylan Moore down into Jose Caballero's spot as platoon 2B with Rojas. Cabby and Canzone to AAA. Then fill Teoscars empty roster spot.
I don't think Ty has the skillset anymore to be a UT. There is a reason he only played 1B the past couple seasons. Either pray he bounce back or dump him. I am sure they will go with the former....
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:04 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:47 pm
Gametime wrote:
He was alright, especially compared to a couple of the other guys, like Kelenic.

Their numbers after the trade deadline:
Attachments
Screenshot_20231004_080402_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20231004_080402_DuckDuckGo.jpg (278.94 KiB) Viewed 137 times

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:05 pm

MarinerMike wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:45 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
So weird. The only positive things I learned from the season were that JP is actually pretty good and we have quite a bit of backend depth at SP. Otherwise, it feels like there are more holes than last offseason lol
JP came into the season which began during Trump's first few months in office in 2017 with 10.6 Career WAR. He had a career .691 OPS. This past season he put up 5.0 WAR and a .818 OPS. I will take the under on both those which means we will need to overperform at other positions just to tread water.

They will put Marco in the rotation which will be another downgrade. Right now this team probably projects to 85 wins and they just prepared us to expect nothing significant so yee haw, can't wait for the next season.
dt