Re: Not sure why there are so many fans up in arms

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:33 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:27 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:08 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:05 pm

Jerry can’t decide if he wants to go all in, or if he wants to go the slow route of letting the farm develop, or if he wants to fully rebuild. Pick an approach and stick with it. Don’t do half measures for multiple approaches, that will never work
I think he had decided. He was going to try to supplement the core with rentals/1 year deals like Teo Wong and Polloack and if it didn't work out he would just try again next off season. But that was before he shit the bed with the presser so now he might have to change course again.
Wasn't there a time where he said he was absolutely against rentals because he wanted players to grow alongside the core?

I swear that was something he said.
Yep he changes his tune to align with however he can save money. Traded Trumbo because he was a Hacker and he was pushing "Control the Zone" but then brought in other hackers like Healy and Valencia and Geno and Teo because they were cheap.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:45 pm

If Dipoto had just signed one guy like Zach Wheeler when he was available in 2020 and still made the same moves he's made after, we'd have been in three straight playoffs at this point.

His penny pinching has killed them.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:02 am

D-train wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:25 pm

This is great. They brought how much Jerry sucks at building a roster due to his half ass approach.
Jerry can’t decide if he wants to go all in, or if he wants to go the slow route of letting the farm develop, or if he wants to fully rebuild. Pick an approach and stick with it. Don’t do half measures for multiple approaches, that will never work
I think he had decided. He was going to try to supplement the core with rentals/1 year deals like Teo Wong and Polloack and if it didn't work out he would just try again next off season. But that was before he shit the bed with the presser so now he might have to change course again.
Then why did he trade 2 top prospects for a pitcher. I know I keep going back to that. On the surface the trade isn’t bad. But when mariners strength is developing pitchers, and they struggle to find hitters in the market, why use the hitters and pay the money for a pitcher, who is now going into his 30s and you are going to be paying him 22 million per year, and might have to think about trading young, cheap, controllable pitching for hitters.

It’s just not been a consistent approach imo. I was full on board with patience and letting the players develop. Masking the trade for Castillo upped the Anti so to speak, then he just folded the next off-season.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:29 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:02 am
D-train wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:

Then why did he trade 2 top prospects for a pitcher. I know I keep going back to that. On the surface the trade isn’t bad. But when mariners strength is developing pitchers, and they struggle to find hitters in the market, why use the hitters and pay the money for a pitcher, who is now going into his 30s and you are going to be paying him 22 million per year, and might have to think about trading young, cheap, controllable pitching for hitters.

It’s just not been a consistent approach imo. I was full on board with patience and letting the players develop. Masking the trade for Castillo upped the Anti so to speak, then he just folded the next off-season.
Probably because he is in denial about their ability to develop position players.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:39 am

Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:

Castillo wasn't a rental but was close to it with just 8 months of control. If Castillo had demanded market value he would be an FA right now but Jerry got lucky and he signed a bargain deal. I don't see that as much of a diversion from the plan.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:42 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:39 am
Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:

Castillo wasn't a rental but was close to it with just 8 months of control. If Castillo had demanded market value he would be an FA right now but Jerry got lucky and he signed a bargain deal. I don't see that as much of a diversion from the plan.
It’s just inconsistent.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:46 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:42 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:39 am
Juliooooo wrote:

It’s just inconsistent.
The means is inconsistent but the end goal is consistent. Be competitive as cheaply as possible. Great for the owners, horrible for the fans.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:47 am

I bet if they thought they could have the current level of revenues by having a $30M payroll they would do that.
dt

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:24 am

Mariners were selling out the last weekend of the season. They will never admit it, but in Stanton and Jerry’s view, 2023 was a successful season

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:28 am

Yep, this is just not necessary:
dt