OFFICIAL: 2023-2024 Offseason & Free Agency Thread

ice99

Re: OFFICIAL: 2023-2024 Offseason & Free Agency Thread

Post by ice99 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:22 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:46 am
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:30 pm
Morosi states that he's interested in what the Mariners would offer for Alonso.

I'd love him in Seattle.
Pete Alonso playing first base in Seattle is my dream scenario. We haven't had a true slugger ever at 1B have we? Does Ken Phelps count? I mean there was Tino, Alvin, Sorrento, and Olerud. Russell Branyan and the only true sluggers when I think of Mariner first basemen.

Did Gorman Thomas play 1B?
Sexson was one.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:38 am

I mentioned years ago that if DiPoto couldn't convince ownership to spend more, he is not doing his job. On the other hand, if he agrees with ownership when they say they can't spend, then he isn't doing his job! In either case, he should be fired! He is part of the problem and not the solution.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:36 am

ice99 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:22 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:46 am
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:30 pm
Morosi states that he's interested in what the Mariners would offer for Alonso.

I'd love him in Seattle.
Pete Alonso playing first base in Seattle is my dream scenario. We haven't had a true slugger ever at 1B have we? Does Ken Phelps count? I mean there was Tino, Alvin, Sorrento, and Olerud. Russell Branyan and the only true sluggers when I think of Mariner first basemen.

Did Gorman Thomas play 1B?
Sexson was one.
I totally forgot about Richie. I hope France rebounds, bit could be a very useful DH and supplant 1B from time to time. He get hits a ton, which can cause more injuries. I always imagined when Dipoto said that we were going to be "going for it" that Free Agency would be a factor. Signing only Robbie Ray isn't what I had in mind. I know they've retained Julio and Castillo, but that doesn't count in my opinion.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:38 am

ddraig wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:38 am
I mentioned years ago that if DiPoto couldn't convince ownership to spend more, he is not doing his job. On the other hand, if he agrees with ownership when they say they can't spend, then he isn't doing his job! In either case, he should be fired! He is part of the problem and not the solution.
I'm starting to lean hard towards you're side. I feel that Jerry is a major part of the problem. The fact that they cannot get the offense figured out is a HUGE problem. Yes it's nice having a deep pitching staff, but that only solves half of the problem. What have you done for us in 8 years?! Literally!

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:26 am

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1769000/ ... -pitching/

If true, Seattle needs to load up on high end pitching. Blake Snell would be fantastic! So would Aaron Nola. Then start wheelin' and dealin' for some hitters.

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:39 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:38 am
ddraig wrote:
I'm starting to lean hard towards you're side. I feel that Jerry is a major part of the problem. The fact that they cannot get the offense figured out is a HUGE problem. Yes it's nice having a deep pitching staff, but that only solves half of the problem. What have you done for us in 8 years?! Literally!
I'm thinking that most players and their agents (at least the one's paying attention) see Jerry as a snake oil salesman. Add in the fact that most players would prefer to play for a team that wants to win more than 54% of the time and it's not hard to see why the M's will have to overpay to get any free agents to come their way. Think of it this way- If you were choosing between two jobs and knew that the boss at one of them is sleazy, would you choose to work for him if both jobs paid about the same?

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:42 pm

ddraig wrote:
Problem is the same people that need to fire him are the ones telling him what to do and he does it quite obediently so we are screwed until the sell.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:46 pm

bhofferb wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:39 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
ddraig wrote:
I'm thinking that most players and their agents (at least the one's paying attention) see Jerry as a snake oil salesman. Add in the fact that most players would prefer to play for a team that wants to win more than 54% of the time and it's not hard to see why the M's will have to overpay to get any free agents to come their way. Think of it this way- If you were choosing between two jobs and knew that the boss at one of them is sleazy, would you choose to work for him if both jobs paid about the same?
Exactly, he tries to sell that it is tough to get FA hitter to come here for reasons beyond his control and then shits the bed with that inane press conference in which he could have just screamed, "Don't come to Seattle free agents!!!" for an hour and it would have had the same effect.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:58 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:42 pm
ddraig wrote:
Problem is the same people that need to fire him are the ones telling him what to do and he does it quite obediently so we are screwed until the sell.
Oh, I understand that. Ownership loves him because he's a YES MAN and a BROWN-NOSER. If I had to compare him to any politician, I'd think of Mitch McConnell. The consummate "go along to get along" sleaze bag. But then I'm also certain that ownership just wants to be part of the exclusive, MLB club! They enjoy going to the meetings, smoking Cuban Cigars, and drinking single malt Scotch. Rubbing elbows with the other owners who are snickering and laughing at them behind their backs. All the other owners know these guys are there for show and they can pick their pockets any time they wish.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:02 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:46 pm
bhofferb wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:39 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

Exactly, he tries to sell that it is tough to get FA hitter to come here for reasons beyond his control and then shits the bed with that inane press conference in which he could have just screamed, "Don't come to Seattle free agents!!!" for an hour and it would have had the same effect.
Nick Catellanos might be on the trade block. Dipoto probably won't want him though since he isn't very good at defense.