Re: Kelenic traded to braves along W/Marco and white

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:45 pm

dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:56 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:37 pm
I don't know, y'all. I, for one, am pretty excited for a change. I am actually looking forward to checking in on the M's offseason moves now, and I am cautiously optimistic that they aren't going to piss away these opportunities.

To me, the last few moves feel like throat clearing. They are positioning themselves to get as much money off the books as possible, even if they wind up looking like losers in the trades that accomplishes this. Getting rid of Evan White and Marco (and their respective contracts) by folding them into a move that gets rid of Kelenic was genius. Maybe JK will work out for Atlanta, maybe not. Either way, his moodiness and his inconsistent bat are no longer our concern. I liked Geno, but I think he was on the decline and his contract was too expensive. I don't think we got much talent in return, but it did lower our payroll.

I feel as though this is all building towards a very aggressive offseason. Here's what I think the M's will do ion ther coming days and weeks:
  • M's will sign Blake Snell. He's a perfect fit, and he wants to be here. He's cheaper and move get-able than Yamamoto. This gives us an ace at the TOR and allows us to move Miller or Woo.
  • M's sign Soler to a 2 year deal as our DH. I'd prefer Bellinger and (obviously Ohtani), but I don't think we can outbid the Dodgers and Giants and Yankees. I think the M's will settle for a Soler or a JD Martinez.
  • The M's will take a run at Jung Hoo Lee, but I doubt they will land him. If they did that solves the right field problem. But they won't. :(
  • The M's will trade for Arozorena and Isaac Paredes. This gives them controllable talent for the next several years and fills the holes in LF and 3B. Jon Morosi reports the M's are discussing this with the Rays who are looking for pitching and trying to shed salary. It will take more than a Miller or Woo to make this happen, so we'd have to part with some prospects. But with the Cards not needing any more pitchers, our next logical trade partner is the Rays. These guys combine for a total of about 8.0 WAR, so getting them both would be a coup.
This still leaves a hole in RF and a glut of utility guys in the infield. So I have no clue what Jerry has in mind there.

Just my $0.02

Some good thoughts. My crystal ball is still cloudy from yrs of Jerry ball. However you could be close with Lee, Arozrena, Parades and Snell. This makes sense so It probably won’t happen

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:59 pm

lol

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:00 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:59 pm

lol
So I guess now he's a Braves fan.

Easy fix. Problem solved.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:04 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:59 pm

lol
Has to be a joke right?

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:42 pm

Well, maybe now Dtrain will stop shitting on JD and his double talk. He just cleared out all the detritus off this roster and got back two talented young arms in the process. That's pretty good work. Adios Marco. Thank god you got hurt last season when you did.

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:42 pm

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/ ... zales.html

So what the hell are the Braves doing?

Why take on Dud White and underachieving JK?

And trade Marco.

Head scratcher.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:47 pm

They wanted 5 yrs of Kelenic. It's a good gamble if I'm them. I want 5 yrs of Kelenic, too. It pisses me off we had to attach him to move on from the bad deal we gave Marco. White got hurt, that wasn't a bad decision. I thought it was team friendly and then he has his hip issue. What are you going to do about that? Quite frankly, the M's are very fortunate to only have had White over the last 5 or 6 yrs, Paxton maybe the other, who has been a lost cause due to injury

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:03 pm

I'm just wondering when the next shoe will drop. It's obvious now that one or more deals are on the table. I think if it was me, I would make a big offer on Yamamoto and then look to trade either Gilbert or Castillo. Castillo has an option year that could probably be guaranteed in exchange for agreeing to a trade, and I'm sure Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, and maybe Red Sox, Cubs, or Braves would all be interested. Maybe Texas if you're willing to deal inside the division. And as for Gilbert, I think that guy's a goner as soon as he can possibly get out of here.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:03 pm

Vogelbomb wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:42 pm
Well, maybe now Dtrain will stop shitting on JD and his double talk. He just cleared out all the detritus off this roster and got back two talented young arms in the process. That's pretty good work. Adios Marco. Thank god you got hurt last season when you did.
I hear Stanton might be available?