Former Mariners tracker

bhofferb

Re: Former Mariners tracker

Post by bhofferb » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:41 pm

Muri wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:55 am
Somethings definitely wrong with the mindset our coaches and managers instill to anyone who comes here. It always is blamed on the stadium, but it's almost certainly more a mindset and ideological problem IMO.

I personally think they make the guys think too much. I've taught English in HS in the USA and all levels in Japan, and the best thing every damn education system tells teachers(but then sadly always ignores) is that all people learn differently. This means all people improve differently as well. Some will need to think it out logically or study more (that is what we assume works for everyone, but it obviously doesn't), some need to just do it enough times physically (experiential + kinesetic learning), some need to SEE it over and over(visual), some need audible cues, some need to gamify it, etc, etc... there are at least 8 different main learning types.

I think the Mariners never adjust their hitting mentality for each hitter, so it's like playing roulette whether someone will work out here or not. Most of the time, it doesn't.

(It's why that online Kelenic comic meme of him just needing to fuck some random chick and get out of his head is hilariously half-true. I don't think Kelenic's style meshes with the way Seattle does things... but that means we'll always be hit and miss with our talent. With our current mindset on hitting, our managing and coaching can easily destroy or mishandle talent. We get set on one certain thing (like control the zone, or make contact, etc) when that just won't work for everybody. I think it is important to create a team offensive identity, but then focusing more on the unique ways to get different hitters closer to that identity. If not, you just wipe out the good they've done before they got here to Seattle, drumming it in their heads to "think like US!" when it obviously isn't working for quite some time now...)

The only types I think who do well are the types of people who already mesh with our overthinking style, (ie: probably hitters like Haniger who work their asses off and always enjoy thinking of different ways to get better), are ones with so much talent they can do anything in any system(like Julio), or are too stubborn to listen and obey our overanalytical-thinking overlords. (like JP, or Ichiro)
Sounds like our new offensive coordinator had best get to coordinating😳

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:50 pm

Right now he is just in the diversification of strengths phase of the program, once he gets on to the splitting up the band width phase they can avoid the hustling and bustling then they can be human. It is hard to hit if you aren't a human as you might imagine.....
dt

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:07 pm

In the TV show "Banshee" there was a villainous albino who looks a lot like this "offensive coordinator."

In related news, I'm starting a metal band called "Villainous Albino."
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:59 pm

dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:40 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:59 pm
:shock:

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:45 am

Scott getting chippy here.....
dt

Muri

Post by Muri » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:52 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:50 pm
Right now he is just in the diversification of strengths phase of the program, once he gets on to the splitting up the band width phase they can avoid the hustling and bustling then they can be human. It is hard to hit if you aren't a human as you might imagine.....
Good God... it's worse than I thought... We have the emotionless mafia hitman in Boondock Saints mixed with the nutless yellow guy in Sin City as a "Bench Coach Offensive Coordinator"

... we have the baseball equivalent to the LGBTQRPLMAO+ trans movement :shock:

Muri

Post by Muri » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:54 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:59 pm
Good for Marco, the little bulldog that could.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:39 am

Teoscar, 4th homer already!

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:07 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:39 am
Teoscar, 4th homer already!
Yes, but he has struck out 13 times in the 28 times at bat...that is 46% of the time