2 hours to kill so top ten actors of all time

Millikin

Re: 2 hours to kill so top ten actors of all time

Post by Millikin » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:08 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:20 pm
Most underappreciated...John Cazale?
That's a good one... Fredo!

"... appeared in five films over seven years, all of which were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture."
Wikipedia
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:31 am

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:00 pm
Pharmabro wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:52 am
Denzel Washington
Daniel Day Lewis
Christian Bale
Tom Hanks
Clint Eastwood
Morgan Freeman
Leonardo Dicrapio
Jack Nicholson
Tom Cruise
Matt Damon

Honorables: Sir Anthony Hopkins, Humphrey Bogart, Christopher Waltz, Kevin Spacey, Al Pacino, Brando, Samuel L Jackson, Dinerro, Brad Pitt,Paul Newman, Charlie Chaplin
Like that list. First one with Matt Damon. Rounders and Good Will Hunting are two of my favorites. I have to throw in Kilmer for Tombstone alone!
agreed. I loved Val Kilmer

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:22 pm

probably not a popular opinion, but i like McConnaughey, Costner, Kevin Spacey, and John Malkovich as well as Denzel.
and for supporting roles, Michael Kelly (House of Cards), Noah Emmerich (The Americans), Wallace Shawn (Princess Bride).

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:52 pm

Seems everyone just wants to list actors from their favorite movies. But what actually makes a good actor? Coolness and likability are not good criteria. Some of these guys are just hacks who play the same character (themselves?) in every role but are successful because they have natural charisma and are helped out by good directors, scripts, special effects, and co-actors.

TraderGary

Post by TraderGary » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:08 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:26 pm
TraderGary wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:56 am
Surprised no one has mentioned one of my favorites, Michael Douglas.
Hey Gary have you enjoyed the high caliber baseball so far??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh man. Is it too early to lose interest/hope? It's painful to watch.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:47 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:52 pm
Seems everyone just wants to list actors from their favorite movies. But what actually makes a good actor? Coolness and likability are not good criteria. Some of these guys are just hacks who play the same character (themselves?) in every role but are successful because they have natural charisma and are helped out by good directors, scripts, special effects, and co-actors.
Most people who are successful at their careers do it because it matches their personality or character traits, no? If having natural charisma makes one a good actor, and they chose to do that because of it, why does it not make them a good actor? Track athletes train, of course, but I don't think some big slow dude is going to decide in HS that he wants to become a Sprinter, and just work really hard and make the Olympics. There are plenty of people that have a great work ethic, but don't relate well or communicate well with people, so sales probably wouldn't be a great career choice. I'm not sure I understand your issue. I have a hard time believing anyone that is a good actor is simply a good actor because they work hard at it. If someone isn't likeable, who is going to like them as an actor?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:59 pm

Just watched a clip from Shawshank this morning. Has Tim Robbins been mentioned??
dt