Curse of the Vothman II GT (SEA @ MIN)

D-train

Re: Curse of the Vothman II GT (SEA @ MIN)

Post by D-train » Wed May 08, 2024 3:52 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 3:30 pm
Muri wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 5:24 am
Wed May 08, 2024 4:25 am
How about that Shota Imanaga guy with the Cubs. Anyone know anything about him? Was he considered a top pitcher in Japan because i don't remember hearing anything about him. 5-0 with a 1.o8 ERA and 0.82 WHIP.
I live in Japan. He was the ace for the team Trevor Bauer went to last year (Yokohama DeNa Baystars). I was hoping they would do well with the two "aces" at the top and made it to the playoffs, but Bauer injured his knee fielding a slow roller and they didn't have enough hitting to make up for the loss. During last season, saw some vids of Bauer talking about learning some stuff off him and talked highly of him while he was his teammate.

He always had great numbers and consistency, but even in Japan he was usually judged for not being big bodied enough and having nothing close to mind-blowing stuff like Ohtani or Roki Sasaki. (Although, he obviously has enough stuff to play anywhere) My Japanese friends and I hoped the M's would go after him, but ah well.

Regardless, it's still early. His numbers will surely level out. But he was always legit here in Japan. And his ability to do it in mlb too is cool to see.
Thanks for that info. Are you Japanese or an American living abroad?

Imanaga signed with the Cubs at 4 years $53 mil. Had the Mariners signed him they would have the best rotation in MLB hands down with Woo and Hancock as injury insurance or in the bullpen. Were they even in the running for him?
They implemented a ban on Japanese players after Kikuchi.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 08, 2024 3:59 pm

Most insane thing about the ban on black players was that the Browns and Cards in STL were the only MLB teams playing in a former Slave state and it was over 80 years after the end of the Civil WAR. About the same amount of time as Today and WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1946_Majo ... all_season
dt

gil

Post by gil » Wed May 08, 2024 5:00 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 3:59 pm
Most insane thing about the ban on black players was that the Browns and Cards in STL were the only MLB teams playing in a former Slave state and it was over 80 years after the end of the Civil WAR. About the same amount of time as Today and WWII.

Interesting perspectives, especially as to time.

I guess, if you consider the ban on black players to be due to "racism", it means that racism was not limited to former slave states.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Wed May 08, 2024 6:41 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 3:59 pm

Wow, St. Louis was the westernmost AND southernmost city in MLB at the time. Even with a population of close to 2 million, a team in Los Angeles just wasn't feasible as teams would have had to travel in aircraft that handled like the Enola Gay.

Muri

Post by Muri » Wed May 08, 2024 11:02 pm

Muri wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 4:25 am
How about that Shota Imanaga guy with the Cubs. Anyone know anything about him? Was he considered a top pitcher in Japan because i don't remember hearing anything about him. 5-0 with a 1.o8 ERA and 0.82 WHIP.
I live in Japan. He was the ace for the team Trevor Bauer went to last year (Yokohama DeNa Baystars). I was hoping they would do well with the two "aces" at the top and made it to the playoffs, but Bauer injured his knee fielding a slow roller and they didn't have enough hitting to make up for the loss. During last season, saw some vids of Bauer talking about learning some stuff off him and talked highly of him while he was his teammate.

He always had great numbers and consistency, but even in Japan he was usually judged for not being big bodied enough and having nothing close to mind-blowing stuff like Ohtani or Roki Sasaki. (Although, he obviously has enough stuff to play anywhere) My Japanese friends and I hoped the M's would go after him, but ah well.

Regardless, it's still early. His numbers will surely level out. But he was always legit here in Japan. And his ability to do it in mlb too is cool to see.

Imanaga signed with the Cubs at 4 years $53 mil. Had the Mariners signed him they would have the best rotation in MLB hands down with Woo and Hancock as injury insurance or in the bullpen. Were they even in the running for him?
Born and raised in Seattle. Moved here in my 30's. I'm of mixed Asian descent, so everyone here thinks I'm Japanese, which sucks because they all give me the "oh crap" look when they find out I'm only half fluent. (But I'm 0% Japanese bloodwise)

I usually have to watch the M's games on mlb.tv replay, but some days I get to catch them and post here live.
Last edited by Muri on Wed May 08, 2024 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Muri

Post by Muri » Wed May 08, 2024 11:06 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 3:52 pm
Muri wrote:

Yeah, I semi-agree actually. Dipoto and management are very big on blaming others for mistakes. :evil: 'cause out of the last crop of Japanese big name players, Kikuchi was probably the biggest bust while on Seattle. My favorite Japanese player after Ichiro was on the Softbank Hawks, so I watched a lot of Kodai Senga. REALLY wanted him too. The second-tier ace pitchers from Japan are always on sale (like Imanaga and Senga), so they are usually worth the flyer imo...

And if you are wondering why Kikuchi shouldn't be thought of as a 2nd-tier ace pitcher from Japan, is because he always had a history of blowing up with terrible outings, having to learn how to bounce back, some injury concerns, and having to overcome mental issues. There were way more red flags from Kikuchi's time in npb than Senga or Imanaga. Of course, that was the one the M's go for... Must have been the "cost" XD

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 09, 2024 12:11 am

Muri wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:06 pm
D-train wrote:

Yeah, I semi-agree actually. Dipoto and management are very big on blaming others for mistakes. :evil: 'cause out of the last crop of Japanese big name players, Kikuchi was probably the biggest bust while on Seattle. My favorite Japanese player after Ichiro was on the Softbank Hawks, so I watched a lot of Kodai Senga. REALLY wanted him too. The second-tier ace pitchers from Japan are always on sale (like Imanaga and Senga), so they are usually worth the flyer imo...

And if you are wondering why Kikuchi shouldn't be thought of as a 2nd-tier ace pitcher from Japan, is because he always had a history of blowing up with terrible outings, having to learn how to bounce back, some injury concerns, and having to overcome mental issues. There were way more red flags from Kikuchi's time in npb than Senga or Imanaga. Of course, that was the one the M's go for... Must have been the "cost" XD
Muri I really appreciate you as a Forum member. Thanks for being apart of this dysfunctional little community.
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu May 09, 2024 12:30 am

D-train wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 12:11 am
Muri wrote:
D-train wrote:

Muri I really appreciate you as a Forum member. Thanks for being apart of this dysfunctional little community.
And that's an under statement.

Muri

Post by Muri » Thu May 09, 2024 10:31 am

D-train wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 12:11 am
Muri wrote:
D-train wrote:

Wow, thanks. Appreciate the kind comment. M's fans need all the positivity we can run into. :lol:

I appreciate ya'll for staying together through the dysfunction. ;) Lord knows, most families aren't much better...

& Thanks for keeping the forums as free and clean as possible. :mrgreen: