5/13/24 make Singer go back to making sewing machines game thread

Seattle or Bust

Re: 5/13/24 make Singer go back to making sewing machines game thread

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue May 14, 2024 4:51 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:46 pm
I think the owners would be sensitive if the formula was failing but it's not. They are in first place and getting tremendous turnout for the games.
It's a no-win situation.

If they were losing a lot and 10,000 fans were showing up and they weren't seeing a return on investment, they'd probably just sell their shares. They wouldn't go, "oh, all of a sudden we're going to spend our own money to build a more competitive team and make fans show up."

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue May 14, 2024 5:00 pm

Isn't that what you want to happen? For them to sell? That doesn't sound like no win to me. But it really doesn't matter, even if the team was to lose and only draw 10,000 fans so long as they weren't having to meet cash calls they'd still make money. The franchise would still appreciate.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue May 14, 2024 7:04 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 5:00 pm
Isn't that what you want to happen? For them to sell? That doesn't sound like no win to me. But it really doesn't matter, even if the team was to lose and only draw 10,000 fans so long as they weren't having to meet cash calls they'd still make money. The franchise would still appreciate.
No. I don't believe Stanton would sell even if it reached those levels of ineptitude. He's made money hand over fist... no reason to think he can't repeat similar results. The odds of someone purchasing the Mariners and doing anything different are low in my eyes.

I am however one of the odd ones here... I don't really blame ownership for the lack of spending or will to build something competitive because of what I've been made aware of.

I have contact with people who know a bit about the inner workings of the Mariners... I've been told that yes, in some ways Stanton is frugal, but also, that Jerry told Stanton he would thrive in building a championship roster within a budget as a challenge to himself that kills 2 birds: 1. proves I'm the best 2. keeps owners happy.

I've been told Jerry wants to appear to others as the smartest person in the room and that he looks at building a WS roster under financial restraints as something that if he achieved, would give him the optics of being the best GM in baseball. I'm told Stanton has given him the green light to sign more expensive players, but it's actually Jerry who has balked.

It's a both... and... from what I hear. Yes, Stanton is frugal, but Jerry's ego to be better than other GM's have led to this as well.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 14, 2024 7:52 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:04 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
No. I don't believe Stanton would sell even if it reached those levels of ineptitude. He's made money hand over fist... no reason to think he can't repeat similar results. The odds of someone purchasing the Mariners and doing anything different are low in my eyes.

I am however one of the odd ones here... I don't really blame ownership for the lack of spending or will to build something competitive because of what I've been made aware of.

I have contact with people who know a bit about the inner workings of the Mariners... I've been told that yes, in some ways Stanton is frugal, but also, that Jerry told Stanton he would thrive in building a championship roster within a budget as a challenge to himself that kills 2 birds: 1. proves I'm the best 2. keeps owners happy.

I've been told Jerry wants to appear to others as the smartest person in the room and that he looks at building a WS roster under financial restraints as something that if he achieved, would give him the optics of being the best GM in baseball. I'm told Stanton has given him the green light to sign more expensive players, but it's actually Jerry who has balked.

It's a both... and... from what I hear. Yes, Stanton is frugal, but Jerry's ego to be better than other GM's have led to this as well.
Doesn't surprise me in the least...
dt

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue May 14, 2024 7:55 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:04 pm
Donn Beach wrote:

Calm, thought-provoking assessment.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 15, 2024 12:20 am

dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 15, 2024 12:36 am

dt