Kelenic trade

Big_Maple

Re: Kelenic trade

Post by Big_Maple » Mon May 20, 2024 2:19 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 9:23 am
0-3 with 2K last night. Now down to 0.1 bWAR and a .642 OPS. 82 OPS+. I bet they are overjoyed they get that for almost another FIVE seasons.
I watched the Braves-Friars game last night. The Padres's offense looked like it was clicking on all cylinders. They have some good bats.

Kelenic looked lost at the plate, but he did make a good catch out in left field. He did the same thing a week or so ago. So maybe some of his value comes from his defense?

https://www.mlb.com/braves/video/xander ... -fly-x2224

The Braves must recognize his - ahem - offensive limitations. Otherwise they wouldn't have him batting 8th and as a platoon. And they brought in a pinch hitter for him the other night when he went 0 for 2. So they know what they've got. I think they must have figured they had the key to his untapped potential and we didn't.

So yeah, I guess as GL_Storm points out, we don't really need another thread on this loser. He's just another prospect that flamed out in the majors.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon May 20, 2024 2:46 pm

Something tells me the Braves aren't fretting over $20 million. They leave that kind of penny counting to teams like Seattle. There is no salary cap! I realize these guys make a shit ton of money, so it is topic of conversation amongst fans, but having JK on their roster only prevents them from adding salary if they chose for it to. There is no cap killing their flexibility. The amount of time fans spend worrying about other people's money, in a game with no salary cap? Makes me laugh.

Maybe the owner of the Braves is lighting his GM up over this. OR? Maybe he tells him this off season he has money to spend, so if he needs to go out and add salary? He can.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon May 20, 2024 3:28 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 2:46 pm
Something tells me the Braves aren't fretting over $20 million. They leave that kind of penny counting to teams like Seattle. There is no salary cap! I realize these guys make a shit ton of money, so it is topic of conversation amongst fans, but having JK on their roster only prevents them from adding salary if they chose for it to. There is no cap killing their flexibility. The amount of time fans spend worrying about other people's money, in a game with no salary cap? Makes me laugh.

Maybe the owner of the Braves is lighting his GM up over this. OR? Maybe he tells him this off season he has money to spend, so if he needs to go out and add salary? He can.
There is always an opportunity cost. Braves owners don't have unlimited funds. Their payroll is $230M, $90M higher than ours. They are fairly near the luxury tax.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/_/y ... cap_total2
dt

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Mon May 20, 2024 5:53 pm

Every team has their own salary cap
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

Sports Hernia

Post by Sports Hernia » Tue May 21, 2024 12:39 am

Slam JK Al you want but his .245 would be 4th highest in TODAY’S Mariner starting lineup.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue May 21, 2024 3:04 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 3:28 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 2:46 pm

There is always an opportunity cost. Braves owners don't have unlimited funds. Their payroll is $230M, $90M higher than ours. They are fairly near the luxury tax.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/_/y ... cap_total2
Kelenic makes up less than 9% of that payroll. I am not saying the Braves want to light money on fire. But I have a hard time believing teams like the Braves approach their payroll like teams like the Mariners. You pointing out they are spending $90 million more than us seems to back that stance. They are outspending us by 4.5 Kelenics! Again, there is no salary cap....so listening to guys talk about salaries in baseball cracks me up. Find an owner willing to spend and you have a good shot at winning. Finding one like we have, and you have a good chance of wondering what might have been.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue May 21, 2024 3:18 pm

They are paying kelenic $750,000. The $20 mil isn't part of their payroll. It's not affecting the salary cap

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue May 21, 2024 3:28 pm

Braves are publicly traded
As previously announced in November of 2022, Liberty Media is splitting the Atlanta Braves off into a separate company called "Atlanta Braves Holdings, Inc.", with ticker names of "BATRA", BATRB", and "BATRK" based on which type of common stock is being followed (A, B, or C-class common stock).

To fill in the backstory: Liberty Media bought *acquired (see note below) the Atlanta Braves from Time Warner for $1.5B back in 2007. The Braves are one of many entertainment holdings that Liberty owns, including Formula One Group, SiriusXM, and LiveNation. The Braves are wholly owned by Liberty but operate independently: Liberty Media does not take money out of the team nor put money into the team. Rather, the Atlanta Braves spend what they make,

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 21, 2024 3:33 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 3:18 pm
They are paying kelenic $750,000. The $20 mil isn't part of their payroll. It's not affecting the salary cap
It is listed clear as day under retained payroll which is included in total payroll that goes against the salary cap. It is less than 20M because they got the Pirates and Angels to pay for it by offering other players....

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/atlanta-bra ... /year/2024
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 21, 2024 3:36 pm

Sports Hernia wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 12:39 am
Slam JK Al you want but his .245 would be 4th highest in TODAY’S Mariner starting lineup.
Two flaws. You are using BA to value a hitter. His OPS is now down to .630. Terrible for a corner OFer.

And comparing to our crap lineup doesn't make him any better. If he stayed we prob don't trade for Raley and his .311 BA and .799 OPS. Trading JK and adding Raley were Jerry's only two good moves this off season.
dt