Sacrificing

Juliooooo

Re: Sacrificing

Post by Juliooooo » Wed May 01, 2019 5:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:42 pm
KingFelix wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:36 pm
Stats say that bunting in that situation is fewer runs.

https://library.fangraphs.com/misc/re24/

But they don't need as many runs as possible. They need 1 or 2 runs. There is a higher percentage to score 1 or 2 runs with 1 out and runners on second and third

https://www.athleticsnation.com/2013/8/ ... e-sac-bunt

Now, down to the game situation, with Jay Bruce coming up, chances are they walk him and you get bases loaded with Healy coming up. Worst case he Gidp, but if he Ks or pops out, you get Narvaez with bases loaded and 2 outs.

Bunt seems clearly the better option
The crazy thing is they got burned in a similar situation the prior inning by a DP and SS decided to double down in an obvious bunting situation and got burned again. WTF was he thinking??? btw was Beckham slow out of the box or what. When I saw the 2B field I didn't think there would even be a throw from second to first for the DP let alone it being a DP. God, that was a horrible AB all the way around for Beckham.

dt
I wasn't watching, just following the score. Like I said before though, I somewhat understand not sacrificing with Gordon up and only 1 on. He is less likely to gidp, and if they get the lead runner, he can steal second. He's been hitting pretty well too. But getting a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs puts a sac fly into play. You HAVE to get the runner to third in that situation.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 01, 2019 5:55 pm

Yes, I agree, just pointing out that you would think the DP possibility would be rather fresh in SSs mind. Guess it wasn't or he didn't care.

dt
dt

XpertDBA

Post by XpertDBA » Wed May 01, 2019 6:48 pm

I just don't understand how you even put Beckham in the situation to hit into a DP.

That's just insane and really shouldn't have ever been a possibility, if the pebble that rolls around inside the hollow cranium of SS would have miraculously actually done some high school level baseball managing.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 01, 2019 7:29 pm

XpertDBA wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:48 pm
I just don't understand how you even put Beckham in the situation to hit into a DP.

That's just insane and really shouldn't have ever been a possibility, if the pebble that rolls around inside the hollow cranium of SS would have miraculously actually done some high school level baseball managing.
It was like he had a bet with Beckham to see who could be the bigger idiot.

SS: I will let you hit away.
Beckham: I will top that, I will hack away at every pitch I see ignoring the fact that the pitcher couldn't find the plate with GPS so far this inning.

dt
dt

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Wed May 01, 2019 8:43 pm

Juliooooo wrote:

But they don't need as many runs as possible. They need 1 or 2 runs. There is a higher percentage to score 1 or 2 runs with 1 out and runners on second and third

Now, down to the game situation, with Jay Bruce coming up, chances are they walk him and you get bases loaded with Healy coming up. Worst case he Gidp, but if he Ks or pops out, you get Narvaez with bases loaded and 2 outs.

It was a bunting situation, pure and simple. Mike Trout.....nah, not going to have him bunt but 96.5% of the rest of MLB batters should be made to lay one down at least one pitch, if not two in that situation.
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 01, 2019 8:46 pm

Even if it was a situation where only 50% of hitters should be asked to bunt, Beckham would be in the bunting group.

btw when I first saw this thread title I though it was about what it takes to be an M's fan. lol
dt

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Wed May 01, 2019 9:05 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:46 pm
Even if it was a situation where only 50% of hitters should be asked to bunt, Beckham would be in the bunting group.

btw when I first saw this thread title I though it was about what it takes to be an M's fan. lol
.......and I was ready to hop in my car and go out and get a live chicken...
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 01, 2019 9:11 pm

rockycola wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:05 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:46 pm

.......and I was ready to hop in my car and go out and get a live chicken...
Just go to Costco and get a dead chicken for $4.99 to sacrifice. Save you a lot of time and money and energy chasing the live chicken and there is no definitive proof that live chicken sacrifices are more effective.
dt

XpertDBA

Post by XpertDBA » Wed May 01, 2019 9:52 pm

I figured the title would be good click-bait. :)

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed May 01, 2019 10:03 pm

rockycola wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:43 pm
Juliooooo wrote:

It was a bunting situation, pure and simple. Mike Trout.....nah, not going to have him bunt but 96.5% of the rest of MLB batters should be made to lay one down at least one pitch, if not two in that situation.
I agree. Just adding context
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez