5/24 GT vs Nationals

Donn Beach

Re: 5/24 GT vs Nationals

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 25, 2024 4:29 pm

So the issue is swinging slower in appropriate situations. There is all this focus on bat speed these days, particularly with the new statcast data. There are guys that swing hard and guys that swing not so hard. But I can't find anything about going from one to the other during an at bat

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat May 25, 2024 4:34 pm

I'm no hitting coach but i'd say he needs to swing in a more controlled way, either shortening his swing later in counts or sacrificing a little bat speed. I thought his main problem this season has been off-speed stuff inside particularly with 2 strikes.

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Sat May 25, 2024 4:44 pm

If Julio swung the bat like he did in homerun derbies, he'd probably be doing better. Go watch a video of Julio in a homerun derby. He's not off balance, swinging as hard as he can out of his shoes. It's a natural "Griffey-esque" swing.

Obviously it's easier when the pitcher is throwing the ball exactly where you want it, but still it's like a different guy at bat than we see in games.

If he's taking advice from somebody, he should stop. If he's not taking advice from anyone, he should start.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 25, 2024 4:50 pm

What I want to know is what change from last year that this year
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 25, 2024 4:51 pm

He was the hottest hitter in baseball in August and that was after the home run Derby
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 25, 2024 4:56 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 4:34 pm
I'm no hitting coach but i'd say he needs to swing in a more controlled way, either shortening his swing later in counts or sacrificing a little bat speed. I thought his main problem this season has been off-speed stuff inside particularly with 2 strikes.
What I'm saying i don't know how practical that is. Making those kinds of adjustments during an at bat. I know there are hitters that make two strike adjustments but im not sure how common that is. And you could make the argument that even with two strikes with the value of a home run if you are considered a home run hitter you should be swinging for it with two strikes.

Here i found this on two strike adjustments.
CAUTION – What NOT to change. It is important to not change your baseball swing with two strikes. You work on your swing in the cage, in practice and every time you swing the bat. Change your set up and approach, but not your swing. Your swing is your swing, and if it differs with 2 strikes you are making the art of hitting even more difficult.
I had kinda the feeling that be the case

https://probaseballinsider.com/baseball ... e-hitting/

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat May 25, 2024 5:08 pm

Change your setup and approach? What does that entail? I'm not saying he needs to change his grip on the bat or where he holds it or how he places his feet. That would be changing his swing to me.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 25, 2024 5:28 pm

Actually that's what you do, that's the significant two strike approach, choke up on the bat and stand closer to the plate. I'm wondering who does that, Brett Boone did i believe. So I'm looking at choking the bat. Barry Bonds choked up on the bat, i mean all the time. This is getting of topic but that kinda blows my mind, Bonds being a Nancy bat choker. He says it's because it's how he learned as a kid to swing his father's bats. But there are guys that do it, Hunter Pense, Paul Goldschmidt, Joey votto, it was kinda an old article. Basically they say they began trying it as a two strike adjustment, but liked it and began doing it regularly

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat May 25, 2024 6:19 pm

My theory on Julio is that he made a swing change and it just isn't working for him. The problem now might be that pressing the reset button is just as hard as implementing the change in the first place.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Sat May 25, 2024 6:24 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 5:28 pm
Actually that's what you do, that's the significant two strike approach, choke up on the bat and stand closer to the plate. I'm wondering who does that, Brett Boone did i believe. So I'm looking at choking the bat. Barry Bonds choked up on the bat, i mean all the time. This is getting of topic but that kinda blows my mind, Bonds being a Nancy bat choker. He says it's because it's how he learned as a kid to swing his father's bats. But there are guys that do it, Hunter Pense, Paul Goldschmidt, Joey votto, it was kinda an old article. Basically they say they began trying it as a two strike adjustment, but liked it and began doing it regularly
This was one of the better posts you’ve made. I don’t mean that condescendingly; it’s just that I found it thoughtful and interesting.

Thanks, Donn.