Roster moves when Seager is ready

ice99

Roster moves when Seager is ready

Post by ice99 » Sat May 18, 2019 11:51 pm

When Seager comes of the 60 day IL, they need to make a 40 man roster move. Healy will move to 1B and they will have too many 1B/DH types.

Encarnacion seems the most likely to be traded. But it seems a little early for him to be traded. They can trade Bruce, but I'm not sure how much value he has with that large salary. Vogelbach is a keeper.

They can send Healy down but it will drop his trade value. OTOH if they send him down, they can gain a year of control. But it would have to be a really long time, over 3 months. One factor is that if they trade Healy, he doesn't have to produce right away. This allows the M's to trade to non-contenders this year.

D-train

Re: Roster moves when Seager is ready

Post by D-train » Sun May 19, 2019 12:19 am

Great thread. Reminds me of the movie Something's Got To Give.
dt

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Mon May 20, 2019 12:54 am

It's a bit of a dilemma. There may not be a market for Bruce or EE right now and you'd like to wait for a few more bidders to line up so you can maximize the return.

I think Healy going down makes the most sense but they may just opt to return Crawford to Tacoma for the time being and push Beckham to ss, have Dee be the back up there while playing second. Seager can play second too in a pinch if you suddenly need to shuffle things with an injury to Beckham.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but they probably won't think about that too hard. Seems unlikely.

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Mon May 20, 2019 12:12 pm

Unless EE or Bruce get traded. It sure looks like Healy will take the fall. Seagers stock has fallen even farther and he needs to audition, likely he will never be traded, but this isn’t about playing your best hand. It’s about auditions and the all star break. It’s about showcasing every high priced player you have. My concern is in order to trade Bruce, you gotta add a young player in the deal to make it fly or your just gonna trade bad contracts.

ice99

Post by ice99 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:22 pm

It depends on what they can get for EE or Bruce. Seager is scheduled to be activated on Saturday.

Healy seems a fit for KC. They have Dozier at 3B and Hearns at 1B. Hearns looks like he needs more seasoning and could use a stint at AAA. It all depends on what they would be willing to give up.

:::

Post by ::: » Mon May 20, 2019 2:49 pm

Anybody want to venture what Healy will command in arbitration next year? I think that'll be the driver as to whether or not he gets moved. Right now he's making the minimum.

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon May 20, 2019 3:15 pm

Healy and his tiny salary aren't the problem and on a rebuilding team there should be ZERO chance he gets traded.

He's a guy just entering his prime already hitting almost .100 OPS points higher than Seager did last season. They may stash him on the bench or AAA while they sort the mess, but there's no reason for him to be the odd man out.

The guys causing the logjam are the expensive ones:

Dee Gordon
Kyle Seager
Tim Beckham
Edwin Encarnacion
Jay Bruce

That's 5 guys more likely to go than Healy, imo. All 5 should be traded ASAP (with the exception of Beckham who you hold onto until a great trade presents itself, or not).

Not sure why I seem to be the only one that remembers bad Seager. Dude either comes back and hits, or hits the road as far as I'm concerned. One way or another. We watched this show once with Figgins, you guys remember? Only so long you can survive on defense once your bat goes.

In my opinion the guys getting the lions share of the playing time right now are the ones being showcased and most likely to be moved. Meaning, imo, that Gordon, Bruce and Edwin are the most likely to be traded. Beckham stays and moves to 2B. Healy moves to 1B and stays as insurance against a Seager bombing. Beckham could be traded also but he may be more valuable to us at 2B than in trade given that we have him cheap for another season and then could offer a QO. His bat seems to be real, other teams may not trust it, and he would fit nicely for us at 2B with that bat and salary.

ice99

Post by ice99 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:19 pm

Scratchiro wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:49 pm
Anybody want to venture what Healy will command in arbitration next year? I think that'll be the driver as to whether or not he gets moved. Right now he's making the minimum.
My guesstimate is $2M-$3M next year. It won't be very much unless he goes on a tear.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon May 20, 2019 3:22 pm

Scratchiro wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:49 pm
He is at 0.0 WAR now and was -0.8 WAR last season. I would give him the standard 2% COLA just because I'm a nice guy.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon May 20, 2019 3:40 pm

bpj wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:15 pm
Healy and his tiny salary aren't the problem and on a rebuilding team there should be ZERO chance he gets traded.

He's a guy just entering his prime already hitting almost .100 OPS points higher than Seager did last season. They may stash him on the bench or AAA while they sort the mess, but there's no reason for him to be the odd man out.

The guys causing the logjam are the expensive ones:

Dee Gordon
Kyle Seager
Tim Beckham
Edwin Encarnacion
Jay Bruce

That's 5 guys more likely to go than Healy, imo. All 5 should be traded ASAP (with the exception of Beckham who you hold onto until a great trade presents itself, or not).

Not sure why I seem to be the only one that remembers bad Seager. Dude either comes back and hits, or hits the road as far as I'm concerned. One way or another. We watched this show once with Figgins, you guys remember? Only so long you can survive on defense once your bat goes.

In my opinion the guys getting the lions share of the playing time right now are the ones being showcased and most likely to be moved. Meaning, imo, that Gordon, Bruce and Edwin are the most likely to be traded. Beckham stays and moves to 2B. Healy moves to 1B and stays as insurance against a Seager bombing. Beckham could be traded also but he may be more valuable to us at 2B than in trade given that we have him cheap for another season and then could offer a QO. His bat seems to be real, other teams may not trust it, and he would fit nicely for us at 2B with that bat and salary.
Seager isn't creating a logjam for anyone. He actually can play 3B though which we need with the soft tossing pitching staff. Until we're get a legit young 3B, it will be Seager at the hot corner. His contract isn't tradable anyway.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez