Former Mariners tracker

GL_Storm

Re: Former Mariners tracker

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:04 am

Fangraphs has JK as the #61 outfielder in the game, which is about where I thought he would be this year with some incremental improvement in his hitting, which seemed likely. I think he's likely tracking towards a roughly average to slightly above career, not a franchise cornerstone but should be a pretty solid major leaguer and make a lot of money.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:30 am

61 seems about right, at the middle. Thats been my point, five years of control of a league average outfielder for $15 mil seems like a pretty good deal. He is a five tool guy, he's showing them off now playing center field and batting leadoff. If he was to develop into just a league average hitter he'd have above average value

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:14 am

Here's a scouting report I don't think I've seen before, I think Grady Sizemore was a pretty good comp. Has kinda an interesting insight to what seemed to side track him
The only knock on Kelenic leading up to the 2018 draft was his Wisconsin roots. It wasn’t prototypical for star big leaguers to come from the cold weather Midwest, but Kelenic isn’t prototypical either. Blessed with a sweet left-handed swing, Kelenic displays some of the best balance you’ll find at the plate. His strong lower half has allowed him to tap into more power than most anticipated possible just two years ago. Early notions suggested he may not have the speed and instincts to stay in centerfield -- those assumptions have since been dispelled. Both his arm and his ability to play the field grade out above average, the arm possibly even more so.

The only remaining question on Kelenic, if you can call it one, is his fierce competitive streak. A total gym rat and workaholic, Kelenic expects to be great, and nothing short of it. He’s yet to face major adversity, or any sort of prolonged slump. Time will tell how exactly he handles those failures, and how quickly he can adjust.

More and more, Kelenic is looking like a .300 hitter with 30 home run potential at the big league level. The Grady Sizemore comparisons seem fit, though he’s likely to outperform the power numbers associated with the former Indians star. He’s a legitimate 30-20 guy and should get a taste of big league ball in 2020.

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:37 pm

Edwin Díaz got a 10 game suspension for sticky fingers

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:00 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:37 pm
Edwin Díaz got a 10 game suspension for sticky fingers

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
Must have went to bed with an itchy butt....
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:47 pm

And Mike Ford continues to be unemployed. I'm going to assume he could get a minor league contract, so he's refusing the minors? Is that the smartest career move?

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:24 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:47 pm
And Mike Ford continues to be unemployed. I'm going to assume he could get a minor league contract, so he's refusing the minors? Is that the smartest career move?
It's a little shocking that he wasn't given more rope considering the state of the position across baseball. It's one of the worst positions in baseball at the moment.

He also didn't put up with Cinci when he got the chance. That's on him. So maybe teams just aren't calling.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:34 pm

And just for good measure, the Mariners’s other former barrel chested, lefty hitting, tater mashing, squinty eyed, I’d-hate-to-meet-you-in-a-dark-alley-DH, Daniel Vogelbach was DFA’d by the Jays.

“Before he got DFAd, Vogelbach was batting .186 with one home run, eight RBI, a .578 OPS and a -0.4 WAR. He had appeared in just 31 of Toronto's 68 games to that point, despite not suffering any injuries.”

https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fastba ... j0rkatv5qs

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:22 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:14 am
Here's a scouting report I don't think I've seen before, I think Grady Sizemore was a pretty good comp. Has kinda an interesting insight to what seemed to side track him
The only knock on Kelenic leading up to the 2018 draft was his Wisconsin roots. It wasn’t prototypical for star big leaguers to come from the cold weather Midwest, but Kelenic isn’t prototypical either. Blessed with a sweet left-handed swing, Kelenic displays some of the best balance you’ll find at the plate. His strong lower half has allowed him to tap into more power than most anticipated possible just two years ago. Early notions suggested he may not have the speed and instincts to stay in centerfield -- those assumptions have since been dispelled. Both his arm and his ability to play the field grade out above average, the arm possibly even more so.

The only remaining question on Kelenic, if you can call it one, is his fierce competitive streak. A total gym rat and workaholic, Kelenic expects to be great, and nothing short of it. He’s yet to face major adversity, or any sort of prolonged slump. Time will tell how exactly he handles those failures, and how quickly he can adjust.

More and more, Kelenic is looking like a .300 hitter with 30 home run potential at the big league level. The Grady Sizemore comparisons seem fit, though he’s likely to outperform the power numbers associated with the former Indians star. He’s a legitimate 30-20 guy and should get a taste of big league ball in 2020.
Why are you looking at scouting reports from 4 years ago that obviously didn't pan out?
At age 24 Sizemore had already been a 2 time All-star with 12 Career WAR, a 125 career OPS+ and a Gold Glove in center field. He lead the league in runs and doubles in his age 23 season and received MVP Votes in his age 22, 23 and 24 seasons.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:16 pm

I find it interesting, the expectations and the results