Roster moves when Seager is ready

bpj

Re: Roster moves when Seager is ready

Post by bpj » Mon May 20, 2019 5:07 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:40 pm
bpj wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:15 pm
Healy and his tiny salary aren't the problem and on a rebuilding team there should be ZERO chance he gets traded.

He's a guy just entering his prime already hitting almost .100 OPS points higher than Seager did last season. They may stash him on the bench or AAA while they sort the mess, but there's no reason for him to be the odd man out.

The guys causing the logjam are the expensive ones:

Dee Gordon
Kyle Seager
Tim Beckham
Edwin Encarnacion
Jay Bruce

That's 5 guys more likely to go than Healy, imo. All 5 should be traded ASAP (with the exception of Beckham who you hold onto until a great trade presents itself, or not).

Not sure why I seem to be the only one that remembers bad Seager. Dude either comes back and hits, or hits the road as far as I'm concerned. One way or another. We watched this show once with Figgins, you guys remember? Only so long you can survive on defense once your bat goes.

In my opinion the guys getting the lions share of the playing time right now are the ones being showcased and most likely to be moved. Meaning, imo, that Gordon, Bruce and Edwin are the most likely to be traded. Beckham stays and moves to 2B. Healy moves to 1B and stays as insurance against a Seager bombing. Beckham could be traded also but he may be more valuable to us at 2B than in trade given that we have him cheap for another season and then could offer a QO. His bat seems to be real, other teams may not trust it, and he would fit nicely for us at 2B with that bat and salary.
Seager isn't creating a logjam for anyone. He actually can play 3B though which we need with the soft tossing pitching staff. Until we're get a legit young 3B, it will be Seager at the hot corner. His contract isn't tradable anyway.
Seagers return creates a pretty obvious roster logjam whether you want to attribute it to Seagers return or not.

:::

Post by ::: » Mon May 20, 2019 5:21 pm

bpj wrote:
Healy and his tiny salary aren't the problem and on a rebuilding team there should be ZERO chance he gets traded.

He's a guy just entering his prime already hitting almost .100 OPS points higher than Seager did last season. They may stash him on the bench or AAA while they sort the mess, but there's no reason for him to be the odd man out.

Dee Gordon
Kyle Seager
Tim Beckham
Edwin Encarnacion
Jay Bruce

That's 5 guys more likely to go than Healy, imo. All 5 should be traded ASAP (with the exception of Beckham who you hold onto until a great trade presents itself, or not).

Not sure why I seem to be the only one that remembers bad Seager. Dude either comes back and hits, or hits the road as far as I'm concerned. One way or another. We watched this show once with Figgins, you guys remember? Only so long you can survive on defense once your bat goes.

In my opinion the guys getting the lions share of the playing time right now are the ones being showcased and most likely to be moved. Meaning, imo, that Gordon, Bruce and Edwin are the most likely to be traded. Beckham stays and moves to 2B. Healy moves to 1B and stays as insurance against a Seager bombing. Beckham could be traded also but he may be more valuable to us at 2B than in trade given that we have him cheap for another season and then could offer a QO. His bat seems to be real, other teams may not trust it, and he would fit nicely for us at 2B with that bat and salary.
My point about Healry though is that he comes up for arbitration next year. Because of his power numbers, my guess is that he would get something like $3.5 to $4M, although I could be over estimating. If he is in that range, I assume Dipoto would probably try to move him if he can before the end of the year. I won't be surprised if a team in contention ends up having a need for some right handed power.

Offer Beckham a QO after next year? Huh? Not sure I'm reading that right.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon May 20, 2019 5:39 pm

bpj wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:07 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:40 pm
bpj wrote:

Dee Gordon
Kyle Seager
Tim Beckham
Edwin Encarnacion
Jay Bruce

Seager isn't creating a logjam for anyone. He actually can play 3B though which we need with the soft tossing pitching staff. Until we're get a legit young 3B, it will be Seager at the hot corner. His contract isn't tradable anyway.
Seagers return creates a pretty obvious roster logjam whether you want to attribute it to Seagers return or not.
Yeah, but the logjam is at 1B, and long term we have nobody for 3B. I think Seager is here at 3B until his contract is over. His offense isn't much worse than Healy, and his defense is so much better. Altogether he probably brings more WAR than Seager. Just don't put Seager at such a crutial part of the lineup. Bat him 7th instead of 5th.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 am

Send down Healy, make Vogelbach fulltime DH, get rid of Bruce, whatever it takes, Keep Encar
regular 1B.

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Tue May 21, 2019 3:36 am

Hy Feiber wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 am
Send down Healy, make Vogelbach fulltime DH, get rid of Bruce, whatever it takes, Keep Encar
regular 1B.
Perfect

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Tue May 21, 2019 4:40 am

The Astroknott wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:36 am
Hy Feiber wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 am
regular 1B.
Perfect
EE shows some moxie with the glove, hits some Shots! Solid Production all the way around.

No cheap long balls, a Cruz clone.

Seems he’s a leader type, too, I like his presence.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue May 21, 2019 5:18 am

I like his presence also, but if we dont trade him, his presence is all we'll have to show for his time here because he can't be offered a QO again.

Have to realize a return to keep the franchise stocked. It's part of why the Ms have sucked for years. They let guys like Nelson Cruz walk instead of trading them to get prospects when they have the chance.

Imagine the A's or Rays letting a guy like Cruz play out his contract in a losing season... Yeah, neither can I. It wouldnt happen.

Same situation with Edwin.

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Tue May 21, 2019 10:02 am

We are getting spanked every other night we have a 36 year old who has trade value so trade him for the best possible deal.

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Tue May 21, 2019 5:46 pm

bpj wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:18 am
I like his presence also, but if we dont trade him, his presence is all we'll have to show for his time here because he can't be offered a QO again.

Have to realize a return to keep the franchise stocked. It's part of why the Ms have sucked for years. They let guys like Nelson Cruz walk instead of trading them to get prospects when they have the chance.

Imagine the A's or Rays letting a guy like Cruz play out his contract in a losing season... Yeah, neither can I. It wouldnt happen.

I keep forgetting, after 42 years of major futility, it’s That Magical 44 that’ll finally Bear Fruit, how do I know, cause JD says so!

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue May 21, 2019 6:45 pm

Hy Feiber wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:46 pm
bpj wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:18 am

I keep forgetting, after 42 years of major futility, it’s That Magical 44 that’ll finally Bear Fruit, how do I know, cause JD says so!
Personally I think Dipoto got on the right track this past offseason.

They just can't pull the typical Mariner moves now of holding on to their trade chips and getting nothing for them.

Encarnacion, Bruce, Leake, Leblanc and possibly Beckham should be cashed in before they lose what value they have.