Re: M's trade for Randy Arozarena

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:23 am

Was just going to point that out, it's more than one player

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:25 am

OLdvanDawg wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:00 pm
I wonder why TB gave him up for really not much. Do they know something about Arozarena? Everyone knows the M’s desperate need for offense, so you’d think any trading partner would ask for the moon.
Arozarena is beginning to get expensive

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:21 am

harmony wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:22 am
Vogelbomb wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:18 am
When has the PTBNL been the highest graded player of any deal when that deal was consummated? Answer is never. That's not how a PTBNL works. They guys is a PTBNL because it's one of 3-5 guys usually for club A to watch and then decide on a few months later (pre-determined deadline set by club b)

It won't be anybody better than Hopkins regardless of what some dude at the Athletic thinks.
https://www.mlb.com/news/best-players-t ... ll-history
I said "when deal was consummated." That's the key. It's player value, scout grades when the teams agree on the initial package. The Trea Turner situation was different because of the rule you couldn't trade draft picks within 1 yr of their draft date. That rule is gone now.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:37 am

Vogelbomb wrote:
When has the PTBNL been the highest graded player of any deal when that deal was consummated? Answer is never. That's not how a PTBNL works. They guys is a PTBNL because it's one of 3-5 guys usually for club A to watch and then decide on a few months later (pre-determined deadline set by club b)

It won't be anybody better than Hopkins regardless of what some dude at the Athletic thinks.
Isn’t ptbnl often someone they can’t officially announce?
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:48 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:37 am
Vogelbomb wrote:

They used to do it with recent draft picks because there was a rule that a player couldn't be traded for a certain amount of time after he was drafted. I don't know if that rule is still in place or what the time period is/was.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:49 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:48 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:37 am
Vogelbomb wrote:

They used to do it with recent draft picks because there was a rule that a player couldn't be traded for a certain amount of time after he was drafted. I don't know if that rule is still in place or what the time period is/was.
I think that’s what I was remembering. Thanks
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:08 am

I think there also may be some performance clauses built into these deals. For instance if the MLB player acquired does well and hits certain statistical benchmarks the team will get a better prospect and if he does poorly they will get a lesser prospect.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:04 am

[Divish] Hearing the PTNBL in the Randy Arozarena trade isn’t going to be based on his performance or the team’s performance. Rays are finalizing who they want. It’s not expected to be a prospect ranking as high as Aidan Smith or Brody Hopkins, but still a legit prospect.

roosevelt

Post by roosevelt » Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:19 pm

Must be careful bringing in guys who are approaching their 30's. Looking at the M's lineup, they should have learned this...

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:16 pm

roosevelt wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:19 pm
Must be careful bringing in guys who are approaching their 30's. Looking at the M's lineup, they should have learned this...
Good point. 30 is the new retirement age (for the average player) in the post-ped era.