Cano off to mediocre start!

DavidGee24

Re: Cano off to mediocre start!

Post by DavidGee24 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:06 am

Hanjag wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:35 am
The M's need Aces to compete with the super teams.

Gonazalez and Kikuchi are solid #2s on the season. The M's need to add 1 or 2 #1's to their rotation.
Luckily those guys grow on trees and other teams will trade their 1s to us for peanuts.

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Sun May 12, 2019 11:07 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:06 am
Hanjag wrote:

Gonazalez and Kikuchi are solid #2s on the season. The M's need to add 1 or 2 #1's to their rotation.
Luckily those guys grow on trees and other teams will trade their 1s to us for peanuts.
Luckily this team has shed payroll and could be players next year or the following. We just can’t afford to be buying the Cano’s when we should be after pitching and not mediocre pitching either.

Freespeech

Post by Freespeech » Sun May 12, 2019 8:35 pm

rockycola wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:09 am
Freespeech wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:30 am
They did get Diaz in the deal so if Cano can hit .261 they probably ARE happy. Although Diaz is in a rough patch, 2 losses and a ND in his last 4. Started out on fire. Still I think we were all happy with the trade at the time, if I remember correctly.
Half happy. Was more than ok with Cano departing and less than ok with Diaz going. Ok with it now; the first 13 wins M's were fine without Diaz. Not much opportunity to save games in the past 27 (7-20). Can't save too many 15-1, 14-1 and 10-0 losses now can you?

Mariners sent $20 million to the Mets for Jay Bruce, reliever Anthony Swarzak and three prospects: former first-round draft picks Justin Dunn and Jarred Kelenic, plus right-hander Gerson Bautista.

Kelenic and Dunn were a great (potentially) return by themselves. Bruce has been fun to watch in a "don't blink, I may be gone tomorrow" sort of power display way.
Anthony Swarzak has been 66.7% dreadful (13 games, 2-2 record, 6.17 ERA). In 11 appearances, 11.2 innings, Swarzak has allowed 14 hits, (6 have sailed over the fence), 11 runs (8 earned)(not to mention other pitchers messes he let scamper home), he's walked 8, has 13 K's, 3 saves and 3 blown saves. I take 66.7% dreadful back........he's been 84.99999% bad - get rid of Swarzak.
Bautista is an unknown, either an unpolished gem or fools'gold. Rocket for an arm but wild, intamed and unharnessed. He has been injured for almost 2 months (right pectoral strain) and just joined Modesto for rehab. He's the wild card.

I think in the long run and in the $$$ department, M's will win this trade.
Yeah there was definitely hemming and hawing. I actually think the 13-2 start made me wish we HAD Diaz as I was goaded into believing we could contend for a WC. In the end Kelenic will make or break this trade.

:::

Post by ::: » Sun May 12, 2019 9:43 pm

The Astroknott wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:07 am
DavidGee24 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:06 am
Hanjag wrote:

Luckily this team has shed payroll and could be players next year or the following. We just can’t afford to be buying the Cano’s when we should be after pitching and not mediocre pitching either.
The only problem is that for the next two cycles, the starting pitching in free agency is pretty mediocre and there will be a ton of competition for the better arms. The top two arms in next year's group are probably Gerrit Cole and Madison Bumgarner. Arguably the top two in the 20/21 free agency will be Trevor Bauer and none other than James Paxton. Out of these 4, Cole is probably the only legit #1 - rumor has it the Astros want to extend him and this has something to do why they didn't tie up more money during the off season. Bumgarner who has dipped the last couple of years, might be a possibity for the M's. It looks like he wants to stay on the west coast. Seattle was not on his recently released no trade list (Astros were). Anyway, the best way for the M's to land a legit TOR is probably going to be to develop one.

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Tue May 21, 2019 5:55 am

After 174 plate appearances, he's got 13 rbi's, 11 more than Andrew Romine last year!

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Tue May 21, 2019 9:53 am

And got the Mets fans on his back for his usual casual attitude to the game.

Greatest M's Fan

Post by Greatest M's Fan » Tue May 21, 2019 10:24 am

Dr Naysay wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:53 am
And got the Mets fans on his back for his usual casual attitude to the game.
That was totally inevitable. For 5 years he loafed & slacked in Seattle, while the media & 95% of the guys on
this forum licked his nutsack every single day. Seattle tolerates losing baseball & players that mail it in. Unfortunately for that bum Cano, he's at that age where he can't just up his game whenever. Dumping that clown was the greatest move in several off seasons.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue May 21, 2019 3:02 pm

Dee Gordon is back to being terrible.

His OPS ranks 17th among qualified 2B (just behind Mike Moustakas who people on this forum would say could never play 2B, like they say about Seager)

Tim Beckhams, by comparison, would be 6th.

Gordon, Smith, Crawford, all useless, and now Mr. Useless himself, Seager, is almost back. Wtf is Dipoto doing.

What's worse is they keep benching their good players to run Dee and Mallex out there.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:51 pm

Greatest M's Fan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:24 am
For 5 years he loafed & slacked in Seattle, while the media & 95% of the guys on
this forum licked his nutsack every single day.
Actually, about 95 percent of the posters in the forum did the exact opposite of that. Are you one of those people that reads something and then later when you think about it, it transforms into the exact opposite of what you read? Seriously, virtually everybody ripped on Cano over the years.

maoling

Post by maoling » Tue May 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Hy Feiber wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:55 am
After 174 plate appearances, he's got 13 rbi's, 11 more than Andrew Romine last year!
Feel the love from the NY press!

Updated May 20, 2019 12:23 AM

MIAMI — Robinson Cano failed to run out a double-play ball again Sunday, and manager Mickey Callaway was fine with that.
In the fourth inning of the Mets’ 3-0 loss to the Marlins, Cano hit a ball that bounced behind home plate, then rolled fair a few feet up the first-base line. Cano, watching it the whole way, thought it was foul. Miami catcher Chad Wallach picked it up and threw to second to begin an easy double play.
“Things are piling up on Robbie right now,” Callaway said. “I mean, come on, let’s face it. He hit into a double play, the ball lands foul and spins into fair territory. He saw it hit foul, and by the time he looked back up, the ball had spun into fair territory and the play was over.”
Said Cano, “I don’t want to say it’s a bad look. I thought it was foul, like everybody else.”

On Friday, Cano sent a bouncer back to the pitcher and jogged slowly toward first as the Marlins completed a rally-killing double play.
Cano said the video board in centerfield said there were two outs. A ballpark video feed, however, showed that when Cano hit the ball, the video board display was correct, showing one out.
“It’s not my mistake,” Cano, who has a reputation for not hustling, insisted Saturday. “I would be the last guy to hit a ground ball in that situation and not run it out.” :roll:
Cano stuck to that Sunday afternoon. “I have witnesses here that saw the same thing and they saw two outs,” he said.